From: Krister Hallergard on
mayayana wrote:
>>Exactly, but I cannot start Excel with Mandriva. So maybe I should
>>forget about Mandriva and use SuS2 10.0 for the future, as this works.
>>I kind of liked Mandriva though. (oh, did you mean converting all my
>>*.wk4 files to *.xls files - sure, but then I may as well stay with XP)
>

> I don't have an answer but I have been running
> into similar trouble. I had Wine.9.3 going on Mandrake
> 10.0, and now I've got .9.4 going without any hold-ups
> on Suse10. But so far I haven't even managed to get
> .9.4 to install on Mandriva 2006.

Thanks, I can run wine but not Excel on top of wine. Just installed
wine 0.9.4 on Mandriva okay, but still cannot run Excel.
From: Krister Hallergard on
BillM wrote:
> Krister Hallergard wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>yes I like OpenOffice very much, for creating new spread

>>>You should be able to convert the wk4 stuff into Excel format
>>>from within Windows, then go from there. Excel 97 includes
>>>this converter.
>>>

>>Exactly, but I cannot start Excel with Mandriva. So maybe I
>>should forget about Mandriva and use SuS2 10.0 for the future,
>>as this works.
>

> I believe that you are using the wrong program, instead of Wine,
> Crossover (or is it Crossover Office) that is specifically tuned
> to Microsoft Office. http://www.codeweavers.com/
>

>>I kind of liked Mandriva though. (oh, did you mean converting
>>all my *.wk4 files to *.xls files - sure, but then I may as
>>well stay with XP)
>

> After OO.o 2.0 came out I converted about 125 (1997 to 2004)
> spreadsheet pages from
> Messa/2 (OS/2) -> *.XLS -> to OpenOffice in order to continue to
> use them.

I don't suppose that Crossover is open source? Yes, understand that
converting to *.xls is an option, and it seems I might have to go for
that if I choose to use Mandriva as my Linux distro. Right now I favour
SuSE10 and Kubuntu5.10 over Mandriva 2006, because of this problem with
wine AND Mandriva, which I don't really understand the reasons for.
From: Krister Hallergard on
freemont wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:56:13 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:
>

>>freemont wrote:

>>>What I mean is: from a Windows installation- ANY Windows installation-
>>>convert the wk4 files to a format that OO can work with, namely, Excel
>>>format. Then transfer the converted files to your Linux installation.
>>>Or am I missing something here?? (Certainly not beyond the pale)
>>>

>>It is just that I don?t want the work of converting several hundreds of
>>wk4-files, which are presently residing on the XP-partition (Fat32).
>>Using the SuSE partition I can access these wk4-files with wine/Excel
>>and if I want to also save them in the wk4 format. I would have liked
>>to to the same from the Mandriva partition. Thanks
>

> Oh, well, I was under the impression you wanted to be rid of ALL
> Microsoft's stuff, not just XP. I read too much into your post.
> Personally, it'd be worth the trouble to me, just to be able to not depend
> on XP, MS Office, Wine, anything like that. Make these files into a format
> that Linux and OO can work with natively, and your dependence on Windows
> stuff and wrappers like Wine will go away.
>
> Besides, I thought that the converter was a batch converter- set it and
> forget it. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help.

Well, I suspect that there will always be some applications that I will
have to use XP for, such as Avery DesignPro to mention one and my TV
card (Yuan FunTV TUN900) another. Am trying to eliminate these one by
one, and the one I am chasing right now is how to handle *.wk4 files. I
am not ready for the big leap yet that you are suggesting. Thanks.
From: amosf (Tim Fairchild) on
Krister Hallergard wrote something like:

> BillM wrote:
>> Krister Hallergard wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>>yes I like OpenOffice very much, for creating new spread

>>>Exactly, but I cannot start Excel with Mandriva. So maybe I
>>>should forget about Mandriva and use SuS2 10.0 for the future,
>>>as this works.
>>

>> I believe that you are using the wrong program, instead of Wine,
>> Crossover (or is it Crossover Office) that is specifically tuned
>> to Microsoft Office. http://www.codeweavers.com/
>>

>>>I kind of liked Mandriva though. (oh, did you mean converting
>>>all my *.wk4 files to *.xls files - sure, but then I may as
>>>well stay with XP)
>>

>> After OO.o 2.0 came out I converted about 125 (1997 to 2004)
>> spreadsheet pages from
>> Messa/2 (OS/2) -> *.XLS -> to OpenOffice in order to continue to
>> use them.
>>
> I don't suppose that Crossover is open source? Yes, understand that
> converting to *.xls is an option, and it seems I might have to go for
> that if I choose to use Mandriva as my Linux distro. Right now I favour
> SuSE10 and Kubuntu5.10 over Mandriva 2006, because of this problem with
> wine AND Mandriva, which I don't really understand the reasons for.

Crossover is cheap tho, and contributes back to the wine project such that
it does become completely OS in time.

--
-
Leafnode. Making usenet a better place.
From: BillM on
Krister Hallergard wrote:

> Right now I favour
> SuSE10 and Kubuntu5.10 over Mandriva 2006, because of this
> problem with wine AND Mandriva, which I don't really understand
> the reasons for.

I refuse to comment on why a piece of software will or won't run
on different machines (I don't know). Over the years I have seen
almost identical machines where one would run something and the
other crash and could not be tweaked so it could run the
program. I have Mandriva 2006 PowerPack as my main OS
(multi-boot - I have SuSe 10 also - preference is Mdv 2006) with
Wine installed from the same "PowerPack package" and there is no
problem there. You haven't said if you got the Wine package from
Mandriva but it has been reported they massage some of their
software. That is one reason I get the PowerPack version, the
versions of different packages have been tested together.
In my case OpenOffice calc 1.0.x could not do what I wanted but
OO.o 2.0 has more features/power.
--
BillM