From: BillM on
freemont wrote:

> Besides, I thought that the converter was a batch converter-
> set it and forget it. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help.

I have never found it to work that way -- the fonts don't match -
then the format (row height, column width) has to be changed -
and on and on ; but the data is good and stable. I have found
that OO.o 2.0 is very good at copying/carrying the "format" from
one worksheet to the next, so you set one sheet up and
copy/paste just the format to the others.
--
BillM
From: Krister Hallergard on
BillM wrote:
> Krister Hallergard wrote:
>

>>Right now I favour
>>SuSE10 and Kubuntu5.10 over Mandriva 2006, because of this
>>problem with wine AND Mandriva, which I don't really understand
>>the reasons for.
>

> I refuse to comment on why a piece of software will or won't run
> on different machines (I don't know). Over the years I have seen
> almost identical machines where one would run something and the
> other crash and could not be tweaked so it could run the
> program. I have Mandriva 2006 PowerPack as my main OS
> (multi-boot - I have SuSe 10 also - preference is Mdv 2006) with
> Wine installed from the same "PowerPack package" and there is no
> problem there. You haven't said if you got the Wine package from
> Mandriva but it has been reported they massage some of their
> software. That is one reason I get the PowerPack version, the
> versions of different packages have been tested together.
> In my case OpenOffice calc 1.0.x could not do what I wanted but
> OO.o 2.0 has more features/power.

They are on the same machine! On disk one I have SuSE, Fedora, Mandriva
and XP and on the other disk I have OS/2, Kubuntu, Windows98 and
Windows 2000, using grub to choose OS. The four Linux partitions are as
similar as it is possible to get distros, as my purpose is to evaluate
which one to concentrate on in the future (decided a couple of months
ago to move away from OS2 as my alternative OS, so I am a newbie to Linux).

The Mandriva Wine package is the one from WineHQ:
wine-0.9.4-mdk.i586.rpm I have only tried one Mandriva version
wine-20050830-mdk.i586.rpm with the same problem.
From: Lionel on
Krister Hallergard wrote:
> mayayana wrote:
>
>>> Exactly, but I cannot start Excel with Mandriva. So maybe I should
>>> forget about Mandriva and use SuS2 10.0 for the future, as this works.
>>> I kind of liked Mandriva though. (oh, did you mean converting all my
>>> *.wk4 files to *.xls files - sure, but then I may as well stay with XP)
>>

>> I don't have an answer but I have been running
>> into similar trouble. I had Wine.9.3 going on Mandrake
>> 10.0, and now I've got .9.4 going without any hold-ups
>> on Suse10. But so far I haven't even managed to get
>> .9.4 to install on Mandriva 2006.
>>

> Thanks, I can run wine but not Excel on top of wine. Just installed
> wine 0.9.4 on Mandriva okay, but still cannot run Excel.

Well why don't you run some of your windows programs/installers with
wine from Konsole and then post the output, that may give us some clue.
It makes no sense that wine installs but behaves so differently between
the two distros if they are identical versions of wine. I suspect there
may be something else missing, maybe some dll's?

Lionel.
From: R10000 on

> The Mandriva Wine package is the one from WineHQ:
> wine-0.9.4-mdk.i586.rpm I have only tried one Mandriva version
> wine-20050830-mdk.i586.rpm with the same problem.

open a shell and type "wine --version"

if it gives a mismatch error then go into you home folder and erase the
folder ".wine" (it's flagged "hidden")

the do the shell thing again, it will re-create the folder and correct
configs.

i had this problem, if you install wine and then install a newer version
later something in that folder causes an error.
clumsy of wine-guys but there is the solution for you.
From: R10000 on

> Thanks, I can run wine but not Excel on top of wine. Just installed
> wine 0.9.4 on Mandriva okay, but still cannot run Excel.

open a shell where the excel exe is and type "wine excel.exe"
when it fails you can clearly read the error message in the shell.