From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:06:25 +0100, chris wrote:

> david wrote:
>> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>>
>> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>> produces decent quality files.
>>
>> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
>> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
>> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>
> You seem to be comparing ogg with mp3 and probably with different
> bit-rates so the comparison isn't very fair.
>
> I normally use Kaudiocreator, it's quite simple, but quite configurable.
> Try that.

Chris,
Yes I know it wasn't a scientific test but it gave me a rough indication
that K3b would take too long cf the "other" system. FWIW my 4 min rip was
at 256Mbps and the total MP3 folder was about 80MB. The ogg was 40MB. If
I am to believe ogg is superior to MP3 then quality of the 2 rips might
be similar ?? So looks a good indicator to me.

And I want MP3's as all the clients use that plus my portable player. In
an ideal world I'd use FLAC but it ain't ideal at the mo.

Never heard of Kaudiocreator and it isn't in Ubuntu 9.04 repos but I'll
have a look. But seems KDE oriented and use Gnome.

Thanks anyway.
From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:13:36 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:42:58 +0000, david wrote:
>
>> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>>
>> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>> produces decent quality files.
>>
>> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
>> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
>> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>>
>> Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Just tried using K3b on a Mepis install.
>
> Took 7 minutes on an oldish machine. Bit-rate was 175.
>
> I didn't see any significant difference in speed to XP/WMP.
>
> Chris
Well it took abotu 4 times more on my rig. So I guess this is when they
say YMMV.

Do I take it you use k3b then??

From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:20:52 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> david <dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes:
>
>>Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>
>>Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>>produces decent quality files.
>
> You have 200 CDs and you want a GUI? Why in the world would you want to
> do that?

1. Because I do.
2. Because my g/f will be doing most of this, and more later, and she
knows zilch about linux. But I'm trying to get her to see the light. At
times like this it isn't easy.

> Note that you could just use sox, with lame installed, to rapidly grab
> the stuff and create a set of MP3s.

She needs to check that CDDB or whatever gets the titles right and
perhaps make changes. Automation is out. And I don't have an automatic Cd
feeder!!

>>I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
>>and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
>>dare I
>
> Ogg is much higher quality than MP3 and takes longer to encode.

I know. I have been around professional compression of audio and video
for a good many years. But we want MP3 for reasons that you'll find in a
reply above.

What I wanted was some practical recommendations from folk who actually
use this stuff. I know the theory.

>>say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>
>>Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.
>
> I thinkyou are confused. If you want fast, you want cli.

Rubbish. See above why you are the confused one.
Sorry to sound harsh but your reply sounded the same.

Dave
From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:53:31 +0000, david wrote:

[...]

> Do I take it you use k3b then??

Yes, although my total CD collection is somewhat less than 200!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:49:23 +0100, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> The source of your problem almost certainly is associated with a lack of
> DMA transfer being setup for your DVD drive, as there is nothing
> inherently different (speed wise) about the way that linux and windows
> access CD and DVD drives.
>
> I'm not sure which distro you're using, however the widely documented
> hdparm tool is what you want to solve this one.
>
> --=20
> Regards,
> Sheridan Hutchinson
> sheridan(a)shezza.org

Sheridan
I'm using Ubuntu 9.04..as per my orig post.
It's the same PC that has win xp and ubuntu installed.
Are you saying it may not be set up in Ubuntu but is in XP?
If so I'll have a look.

However I am not so certain that's the (only) reason as surely you can't
just dismiss the fact that different apps may take longer to do their job.

Dave