From: Ian on
On 2 Sep, 19:02, david <d...(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:

> I want someone who uses, yes, uses an MP3 ripper via a GUI to suggest a
> fast and good quality app that will run under Ubuntu 9.04.

Sound Juicer from the Ubuntu repository (look harder) plus a non-free
plugin from Medibuntu. Works well for me.

Ian

From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:42:58 +0000, david wrote:

> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>
> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
> produces decent quality files.
>
> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>
> Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.
>
> Thanks

Although I'm perfectly happy with K3b, your post prompted me to try two
of the other rippers mentioned here. (I'm using Mepis.)

Sound Juicer was available from the repos. It would not allow me to rip
to MP3 out of the box, although I can rip and play MP3's with K3b. I
didn't bother investigating why.

I then tried Asunder. This worked flawlessly, and has a very simple
interface. It was marginally faster than K3b on the same test CD, at the
same bit-rate. I would suggest that if it is available to you, it would
be perfect for your intended use.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"davesurrey" <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Geoff Clements" <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I've found Audex quite nice but it is a KDE application though.
>>
>> --
>> Geoff
>>
> Thanks Geoff. I'll add it to the lsit to try.
> Does it come with a Geoff-recommendation over other apps?

Nah - I've never ripped that many cds at once so you may find something
better for your purposes but it's straight-forward to use. It integrates
will with KDE but I'm not sure about Gnome.

--
Geoff

From: david on
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 02:19:04 +0100, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm a Debian man and I'm not overly familiar with the defaults out of
> the box for Ubuntu for the kernel and its packages.
>
> That said, both drives each have a readable 'data' disc in, not an audio
> disc in, right?
>
> Does a: sudo hdparm /dev/sdc
> Mention if DMA is already enabled?
>
> Reading...:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/
+bug/110636

> ... has reminded me that Ubuntu (unlike Debian) has switched to libata
> as the default PATA driver (although I should have been reminded earlier
> from your posts) and libata always apparently attempts to choose maximum
> capabilities. So in theory, your PATA (libata) ROM drives should
> already be using DMA.
>
> http://linux-ata.org/faq.html#old_ioctls
>
> Sorry about that David, there isn't a solution here. I hope this hasn't
> taken too much of your time up.
>
> I really would not have any other obvious suggestion as to why your ROM
> drive performance would differ from your Windows installation on the
> same machine(s). My main machine dual-boots with Windows 7 and uses a
> PATA DVD drive that has identical performance in either OS.

Sheridan,

Yes the DVD drives have a data (a linux distro) disk in them.

sudo hdparm /dev/sdc gives no info that I can see telling me the DMA
status.

sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sdc gives me

"setting using dma to 1 (on)"

On boot up the BIOS says:

HDD1 Ultra DMA Mode-5
HDD2 Ultra DMA Mode-5
dvd1 Ultra DMA Mode-4
dvd2 Ultra DMA Mode-2

I read the bug report (thanks for that) tried changing the grub boot
kernel parameters (combined_mode=ide or combined_mode=libata ) but still
no luck.

I did a quick test last night and ripping the same CD on the same PC to
256kbps MP3 files I got

Windows 7 Ultimate RC...Windows Media Player ...about 4 minutess
Windows XP.. ExpressRip... just over 3 minutes
Ubuntu 9.04... RipOff ... 28 minutes

So as this seems to be a Ubuntu issue wth DMA (on 2 macjhines so far) I
will use Windows. I hope Ubuntu get this fixed. Seems to have been going
on since Feisty though.

You say you use Debian. Do you think I should change to Lenny. Would it
have the same problem?

Thanks for all your help.
Much appreciated.
Dave
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
david wrote:
> sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sdc gives me
>
> "setting using dma to 1 (on)"

This is interesting, as from this I would take it that DMA is enabled
correctly.

> tried changing the grub boot
> kernel parameters (combined_mode=ide or combined_mode=libata ) but still
> no luck.

I'm glad you tried this. It's a shame because DMA using the old driver
(combined_mode=ide) should work fine with hdparm setting the DMA mode.

> You say you use Debian. Do you think I should change to Lenny. Would it
> have the same problem?

I'm out of suggestions as to why it's taking ~ 1/2 and hour to rip a CD
in Ubuntu. I have installed Debian to, and administrate many Debian
machines, and while I would expect it to work correctly (once hdparm is
setup) I could not guarantee it.

That said, I would probably just pop another hard disk in the machine
and disconnect the old ones, do a quick install of lenny, KDE and K3b,
configure hdparm and try a rip.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson