From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:32:38 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:53:31 +0000, david wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Do I take it you use k3b then??
>
> Yes, although my total CD collection is somewhat less than 200!
>
> Chris

Chris,
I've got around 1200 plus my g/fs collection so need to get this right
first time.

If you use k3b how do you rip to mp3? Do I need to add a non-free codec?
If so which one is recommended.

Thanks
Dave
From: Unruh on
david <dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes:

>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:06:25 +0100, chris wrote:

>> david wrote:
>>> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>>> produces decent quality files.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
>>> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
>>> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>>
>> You seem to be comparing ogg with mp3 and probably with different
>> bit-rates so the comparison isn't very fair.
>>
>> I normally use Kaudiocreator, it's quite simple, but quite configurable.
>> Try that.

>Chris,
>Yes I know it wasn't a scientific test but it gave me a rough indication
>that K3b would take too long cf the "other" system. FWIW my 4 min rip was
>at 256Mbps and the total MP3 folder was about 80MB. The ogg was 40MB. If
>I am to believe ogg is superior to MP3 then quality of the 2 rips might
>be similar ?? So looks a good indicator to me.

>And I want MP3's as all the clients use that plus my portable player. In
>an ideal world I'd use FLAC but it ain't ideal at the mo.

MP3 is a proprietary system, and you are obliged, by the patent law, to
pay the owners for the priviledge of converting to mp3. Alternarively
you can use lame, which is free mp3 creator, but using it you may well
be breaking patent law.
That was a key reason why ogg was created-- to have patent free open
source encoder.

From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:47:37 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> david <dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes:

>>> You seem to be comparing ogg with mp3 and probably with different
>>> bit-rates so the comparison isn't very fair.
>>>
>>> I normally use Kaudiocreator, it's quite simple, but quite
>>> configurable. Try that.
>
>>Chris,
>>Yes I know it wasn't a scientific test but it gave me a rough indication
>>that K3b would take too long cf the "other" system. FWIW my 4 min rip
>>was at 256Mbps and the total MP3 folder was about 80MB. The ogg was
>>40MB. If I am to believe ogg is superior to MP3 then quality of the 2
>>rips might be similar ?? So looks a good indicator to me.
>
>>And I want MP3's as all the clients use that plus my portable player. In
>>an ideal world I'd use FLAC but it ain't ideal at the mo.
>
> MP3 is a proprietary system, and you are obliged, by the patent law, to
> pay the owners for the priviledge of converting to mp3. Alternarively
> you can use lame, which is free mp3 creator, but using it you may well
> be breaking patent law.
> That was a key reason why ogg was created-- to have patent free open
> source encoder.

Unruh,
The current temperature in Ouagadougou is 84degrees F.
Which has about as much relevance to my original question as your answers
do.

I want someone who uses, yes, uses an MP3 ripper via a GUI to suggest a
fast and good quality app that will run under Ubuntu 9.04.

I have no interest in anything else especially being lectured to on what
I already know.

Thanks
Dave

From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:43:59 +0000, david wrote:

[...]

> If you use k3b how do you rip to mp3? Do I need to add a non-free codec?
> If so which one is recommended.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Bear in mind I'm using a different distro to you.

I needed to install lame from the repo. I then found the rip failed. I
Googled, and the info lead me to change the plug-in settings for the
External Audio Encoder. I copied and pasted what I'd found someone else
using IIRC.

Sorry I can't be more specific: It was a while since I did this.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:11:24 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:43:59 +0000, david wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> If you use k3b how do you rip to mp3? Do I need to add a non-free
>> codec? If so which one is recommended.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave
>
> Bear in mind I'm using a different distro to you.
>
> I needed to install lame from the repo. I then found the rip failed. I
> Googled, and the info lead me to change the plug-in settings for the
> External Audio Encoder. I copied and pasted what I'd found someone else
> using IIRC.
>
> Sorry I can't be more specific: It was a while since I did this.
>
> Chris

No, that's very helpful Chris. I'll have a look in that direction.
Cheers
Dave