From: Big and Blue on
david wrote:

> 2. Because my g/f will be doing most of this, and more later, and she
> knows zilch about linux. But I'm trying to get her to see the light. At
> times like this it isn't easy.

What has Linux got to do with it? Windows has a command line. Presumably
she'd be lost there too.
All I do is pop in a CD and type:

myCDrip

which isn't too difficult. And for the second rip I don't even need to
type that, as I can just use up-arrow to recall the line. This is quicker
and simpler than any GUI. That myCDrip is a script (in my PATH) that I
wrote as a frontend to abcde, and that was done mostly so that I can set
"-V 0" as an option for lame (I'm not about to run out of space).

Strikes me as a good example to show here for how simple things *can* be
made when you *don't* believe that There Is No Alternative to a GUI.

either you or I have to believe it.
From: Mark Fraser on
david wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:06:25 +0100, chris wrote:
>
>> david wrote:
>>> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>>> produces decent quality files.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
>>> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
>>> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>>
>> You seem to be comparing ogg with mp3 and probably with different
>> bit-rates so the comparison isn't very fair.
>>
>> I normally use Kaudiocreator, it's quite simple, but quite configurable.
>> Try that.
>
> Chris,
> Yes I know it wasn't a scientific test but it gave me a rough indication
> that K3b would take too long cf the "other" system. FWIW my 4 min rip was
> at 256Mbps and the total MP3 folder was about 80MB. The ogg was 40MB. If
> I am to believe ogg is superior to MP3 then quality of the 2 rips might
> be similar ?? So looks a good indicator to me.
>
> And I want MP3's as all the clients use that plus my portable player. In
> an ideal world I'd use FLAC but it ain't ideal at the mo.
>
> Never heard of Kaudiocreator and it isn't in Ubuntu 9.04 repos but I'll
> have a look. But seems KDE oriented and use Gnome.

KAudioCreator has been replaced by Asunder in 9.04. The website is here
http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/ but it is in the standard repos. If it is as
fast as KAudioCreator is on my computer running 8.04 then it should do a CD
in 3-4 mins.

--
|\ /| ark Fraser /mfraser(a)ukgateway.net
From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:27:16 +0100, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

> david wrote:
>> So following your advise I checked on hdparm and did a
>>
>> "sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sda "
>>
>> only to get
>>
>> "david(a)microdirect:~$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sda
>>
>> /dev/sda:
>> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device HDIO_GET_DMA
>> failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device "
>>
>> Not sure what that means.
>
> You've probably got both PATA hard disk drive and CD-ROM. You can (and
> should) configure them both, but sticking to the CD-ROM for the moment.
>
> Put a disc in the drive, wait for everything to settle and then in a
> console use the 'mount' command so you know the mount point of your disc
> drive. Your most likely place for ROM disc drives to be deviced are
> /dev/hdc or /dev/sdc, not very likely to be /dev/sda
>
> Once you've found it do (where sdc is your particular device point) sudo
> hdparm -tT /dev/sdc
>
> That will do a nice little benchmark for your baseline. You can also
> do: sudo hdparm /dev/sdc
> to find out what current settings are enabled by default.
>
> sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sdc
> For DMA.
>
> Re-run benchmark, check for improvement in transfer speeds.
>
> Once happy with everything you can edit /etc/hdparm.conf to make the
> changes permanent.
>
> Then try again with K3b and see how much impact it's had.

Sheridan,
Well I have 2 sata HDDs sda and sdb and 2 DVD drives sdc and sdd.

But if I try "sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc" all I get is

"/dev/sdc
read () hit EOF - device too small
Time buffered disk reads: read () hit OF -device too small."

What now??
Dave
From: david on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:20:49 +0000, david wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:27:16 +0100, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> david wrote:
>>> So following your advise I checked on hdparm and did a
>>>
>>> "sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sda "
>>>
>>> only to get
>>>
>>> "david(a)microdirect:~$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sda
>>>
>>> /dev/sda:
>>> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>>> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device HDIO_GET_DMA
>>> failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device "
>>>
>>> Not sure what that means.
>>
>> You've probably got both PATA hard disk drive and CD-ROM. You can (and
>> should) configure them both, but sticking to the CD-ROM for the moment.
>>
>> Put a disc in the drive, wait for everything to settle and then in a
>> console use the 'mount' command so you know the mount point of your
>> disc drive. Your most likely place for ROM disc drives to be deviced
>> are /dev/hdc or /dev/sdc, not very likely to be /dev/sda
>>
>> Once you've found it do (where sdc is your particular device point)
>> sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc
>>
>> That will do a nice little benchmark for your baseline. You can also
>> do: sudo hdparm /dev/sdc
>> to find out what current settings are enabled by default.
>>
>> sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sdc
>> For DMA.
>>
>> Re-run benchmark, check for improvement in transfer speeds.
>>
>> Once happy with everything you can edit /etc/hdparm.conf to make the
>> changes permanent.
>>
>> Then try again with K3b and see how much impact it's had.
>
> Sheridan,
> Well I have 2 sata HDDs sda and sdb and 2 DVD drives sdc and sdd.
>
> But if I try "sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc" all I get is
>
> "/dev/sdc
> read () hit EOF - device too small
> Time buffered disk reads: read () hit OF -device too small."
>
> What now??
> Dave

To avoid any confusion I have tried this in a second PC (above) which
uses 2 SATA HDDs and 2 IDE (parallel) DVD drives.
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
david wrote:
>> But if I try "sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc" all I get is
>>
>> "/dev/sdc
>> read () hit EOF - device too small
>> Time buffered disk reads: read () hit OF -device too small."
>>
>> What now??
>> Dave
>
> To avoid any confusion I have tried this in a second PC (above) which
> uses 2 SATA HDDs and 2 IDE (parallel) DVD drives.

David,

I'm a Debian man and I'm not overly familiar with the defaults out of
the box for Ubuntu for the kernel and its packages.

That said, both drives each have a readable 'data' disc in, not an audio
disc in, right?

Does a: sudo hdparm /dev/sdc
Mention if DMA is already enabled?

Reading...:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/110636

... has reminded me that Ubuntu (unlike Debian) has switched to libata
as the default PATA driver (although I should have been reminded earlier
from your posts) and libata always apparently attempts to choose maximum
capabilities. So in theory, your PATA (libata) ROM drives should
already be using DMA.

http://linux-ata.org/faq.html#old_ioctls

Sorry about that David, there isn't a solution here. I hope this hasn't
taken too much of your time up.

I really would not have any other obvious suggestion as to why your ROM
drive performance would differ from your Windows installation on the
same machine(s). My main machine dual-boots with Windows 7 and uses a
PATA DVD drive that has identical performance in either OS.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson