From: david on
Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.

Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
produces decent quality files.

I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos and
just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas, dare I
say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).

Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.

Thanks
From: chris on
david wrote:
> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>
> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
> produces decent quality files.
>
> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos and
> just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas, dare I
> say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).

You seem to be comparing ogg with mp3 and probably with different
bit-rates so the comparison isn't very fair.

I normally use Kaudiocreator, it's quite simple, but quite configurable.
Try that.

From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:42:58 +0000, david wrote:

> Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.
>
> Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
> produces decent quality files.
>
> I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos
> and just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas,
> dare I say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).
>
> Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.
>
> Thanks

Just tried using K3b on a Mepis install.

Took 7 minutes on an oldish machine. Bit-rate was 175.

I didn't see any significant difference in speed to XP/WMP.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Unruh on
david <dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes:

>Have ubuntu 9.04 installed and wanted to rip approx 200 CDs to MP3.

>Any recommendations what to use that's fast, not CLI ie has a GUI, and
>produces decent quality files.

You have 200 CDs and you want a GUI? Why in the world would you want to
do that?

Note that you could just use sox, with lame installed, to rapidly grab
the stuff and create a set of MP3s.

>I couldn't find Sound Juicer (google search recommended) in the repos and
>just tried using K3b which took 15 minutes to rip to ogg whereas, dare I

Ogg is much higher quality than MP3 and takes longer to encode.

>say it, I can do this in XP in about 4 mins (same CD).

>Really prefer to use Linux but it needs to be fast.

I thinkyou are confused. If you want fast, you want cli.

From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
Hi David,

The source of your problem almost certainly is associated with a lack of
DMA transfer being setup for your DVD drive, as there is nothing
inherently different (speed wise) about the way that linux and windows
access CD and DVD drives.

I'm not sure which distro you're using, however the widely documented
hdparm tool is what you want to solve this one.

--=20
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson
sheridan(a)shezza.org