From: Nobody on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Dee Earley was thinking very hard :
>> Personally, I use the VB5 controls (despite never using VB5) as I want to
>> use the Windows themeing support.
>> The v6 controls don't support theming.
>
> Raises an interesting question. Say you want to use VB6, and are pretty
> much done with VB5. No need to install it on a given system. Anyone know
> what the most expedient way to get the v5 common controls loaded, without
> tanking up the whole product?

I have never had VB5, and the v5 common controls is always there in VB6, so
perhaps VB6 installs it. It's even listed in the REDIST.TXT file that comes
with VS6.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nobody laid this down on his screen :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Dee Earley was thinking very hard :
>>> Personally, I use the VB5 controls (despite never using VB5) as I want to
>>> use the Windows themeing support.
>>> The v6 controls don't support theming.
>>
>> Raises an interesting question. Say you want to use VB6, and are pretty
>> much done with VB5. No need to install it on a given system. Anyone know
>> what the most expedient way to get the v5 common controls loaded, without
>> tanking up the whole product?
>
> I have never had VB5, and the v5 common controls is always there in VB6, so
> perhaps VB6 installs it. It's even listed in the REDIST.TXT file that comes
> with VS6.

Oh wow. Made me look. <g> You're right. And I can say that with a
lot of confidence, because I'm in the middle of setting up a few
machines here, and all prior versions of VB live in VMs. Only VB6 has
been installed on the main machine, and the only VB5 apps I've
installed have their own copy of the runtime living with them in the
app-path. Huh! Okay, cool. :-)

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]

From: MikeD on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> What file version do you suggest to distribute for COMCT232.OCX?
>> I don't find it in the service pack and it's taking the one from Windows
>> Vista's system32 folder...
>
> As it is not normally distributed, you should include the version you
> compiled against with your setup/install. If there is already a newer
> version on the target it should not be replaced.

What do you mean not normally distributed? Was that a typo?

--
Mike

From: MikeD on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Dee Earley was thinking very hard :
>> Personally, I use the VB5 controls (despite never using VB5) as I want to
>> use the Windows themeing support.
>> The v6 controls don't support theming.
>
> Raises an interesting question. Say you want to use VB6, and are pretty
> much done with VB5. No need to install it on a given system. Anyone know
> what the most expedient way to get the v5 common controls loaded, without
> tanking up the whole product?

Both v5 common control OCX files are installed by VB6's Setup. Both
comctl32.ocx and comct232.ocx are in the OS\System folder of my VB6 CD
(well, actually VS6 CD disc 1). And according to this KB article, they
"ship" with VB6:

Controls shipped in Visual Basic 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194784/

Keep in mind, this was back when MS believed in backward compatibility. If
the v5 controls weren't included and installed by VB6's Setup, you may not
have been able to open a VB5 project in VB6 (without getting errors about
the controls).

--
Mike

From: Karl E. Peterson on
MikeD used his keyboard to write :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote ...
>> Dee Earley was thinking very hard :
>>> Personally, I use the VB5 controls (despite never using VB5) as I want to
>>> use the Windows themeing support.
>>> The v6 controls don't support theming.
>>
>> Raises an interesting question. Say you want to use VB6, and are pretty
>> much done with VB5. No need to install it on a given system. Anyone know
>> what the most expedient way to get the v5 common controls loaded, without
>> tanking up the whole product?
>>

> Both v5 common control OCX files are installed by VB6's Setup. Both
> comctl32.ocx and comct232.ocx are in the OS\System folder of my VB6 CD (well,
> actually VS6 CD disc 1). And according to this KB article, they "ship" with
> VB6:
>
> Controls shipped in Visual Basic 6.0
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194784/
>
> Keep in mind, this was back when MS believed in backward compatibility. If
> the v5 controls weren't included and installed by VB6's Setup, you may not
> have been able to open a VB5 project in VB6 (without getting errors about the
> controls).

Good point. I guess I'm a bit jaded regarding MSFT's concern for
forward compatibility. I didn't actually believe it until I went and
looked for myself! :-)

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]