From: Mike Williams on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message

> This link shows pictures of the classic and XP styles:
> http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm

That looked vaguely interesting, until I came to:

Application Name: MyCoolApp

.. . . I just couldn't bring myself to read any further ;-)

Mike

From: C. Kevin Provance on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
| "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:
| >
| >>Umm, yes. I see that the theme support is gone.
| >>So... back to v5.
| >
| > What exactly is theming support? I've never heard the term before.
|
| This link shows pictures of the classic and XP styles:
|
| http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm

Forty bucks for *that*?

Psh. I wrote an add in that doubles as a stand alone EXE that does that
exact same thing...for free even.

From: Ralph on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message > | This link shows pictures of
the classic and XP styles:

> | http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm
>
> Forty bucks for *that*?
>
> Psh. I wrote an add in that doubles as a stand alone EXE that does that
> exact same thing...for free even.

Purchase price has never been synomymous with "worth" or even "cost".

-ralph

From: Eduardo on
David Kaye escribi�:
> Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:
>
>> It's to display the controls using Windows Visual Styles.
>> First introduced in XP, you can see the XP style buttons for example,
>> that have a rounded shape and mouseover effect, etc.
>
> I'll be damned. Thank you.
>
>> In the case of Windows Common Controls (1 and 2), you can see the
>> toolbars, UpDown's controls, etc. with visual styles, but just using v5.
>
> Hmmm...I think I'll put VB5 on a machine and see what up with that.

About supporting Visual Styles, there are some considerations.

You need to add a manifest as a XML resource, you can download the *.res
file from here:

http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=36043&lngWId=1

or

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=42729&lngWId=1

If your project already has a resource file, then you'll have to write
the *.manifest file, add it as a resource to the *.rc file, and then
compile the *.res along with the other resources.
(in my case I just added the *res already compiled that I downloaded
from psc because I didn't have a resource file in that project)

But that's not all, that's the start.

You need to call InitCommonControls in the Sub Main or Form_Initialize.

API declaration:

Private Declare Sub InitCommonControls Lib "Comctl32.dll" ()
[that's needed for XP]

Then, if your project has an UserControl, you'll get an error when the
program exits. [In XP]

Read about this issue here (and also the solution):

http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/vb/Code/Libraries/XP_Visual_Styles/Preventing_Crashes_at_Shutdown/article.asp

But there is still a more difficult thing: Frames don't paint correctly
on XP.

Here is a solution proposed by Schmidt:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/3fdd6586b232965e

If you are interested in the subject, I suggest to read that thread.
From: Mike Williams on
"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Purchase price has never been synomymous with
> "worth" or even "cost".

.. . . as Micro$oft will gladly confirm!

Mike