From: E®!k /!$$E® on
Brian,

For the first time since a long time I do agree with you.
This products shows a way to a _real_ port from VO towards .NET, without the
use of thousands pinvokes in the Vulcan system classes.

But I do not see why this is not part of the Vulcan product. I would at
least expect the conversion of VO binaries (not only the forms, but also the
menu's) and wrappers to make make .net classes in headlines work like the
VO classes, to be part of Vulcan 2.0.

I think all of us should give good notice to the fact a member of the Vulcan
devteam launches such product. This indicates the future development of
Vulcan is not going into this direction, if it is going at all..

Erik

From: Ginny Caughey on
Great to hear! Did you consider converting my masked text boxes to .NET
ones? I've got a lot of those, and they probably look like VO SingleLineEdit
controls to Facelift since they are converted to cMaskedEdit (ultimately) in
my CM Kludge module:

CLASS SingleLineEdit INHERIT CsiMaskedEdit // cMaskedEdit //cSingleLineEdit
GKC

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Ginny Caughey on
Erik,

I think Facelift is a different vision than what many people want with
Vulcan. It is not a transport-compile-run sort of conversion. It does a
lovely job of moving the form binaries to Windows.Forms (and apparently WPF
as well), but you'd still have to write your own event handlers. Probably in
Vulcan you could reuse a lot of VO code for this, but it isn't no-touch. And
unless it's smart enough to figure out all the ways I've used inheritance
and Classmate to get my controls to behave the way I want, there's a manual
step there too, mainly for masked edits which are a different control type.
In fact I'd like to see some configuration options as to how my controls map
to .NET ones. And maybe Paul has that already.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Paul Piko on
Ginny,

> I think Facelift is a different vision than what many people want with
> Vulcan. It is not a transport-compile-run sort of conversion. It does a
> lovely job of moving the form binaries to Windows.Forms (and apparently
> WPF as well), but you'd still have to write your own event handlers.

Facelift does at least detect if you have a window method named the same as
a PushButton, or if you have used ButtonClick, FocusChange etc, and creates
a stub .NET event handler. However you still need to write the body of the
handler.

> Probably in Vulcan you could reuse a lot of VO code for this, but it isn't
> no-touch.

Correct. Facelift is a big time saver but it is a starting point.

> And unless it's smart enough to figure out all the ways I've used
> inheritance and Classmate to get my controls to behave the way I want,
> there's a manual step there too, mainly for masked edits which are a
> different control type. In fact I'd like to see some configuration options
> as to how my controls map to .NET ones. And maybe Paul has that already.

There is an XML file that controls the mapping of a control in the VO window
binary to a .NET control. But this works using the WED name of the control
like that seen in CAVOWED.INF, e.g. CONTROL:TEXTCONTROL:BUTTON:PUSHBUTTON

Paul
http://www.vulcanmindmeld.net

From: Paul Piko on
Ginny,

> Great to hear! Did you consider converting my masked text boxes to .NET
> ones? I've got a lot of those, and they probably look like VO
> SingleLineEdit controls to Facelift since they are converted to
> cMaskedEdit (ultimately) in my CM Kludge module:
>
> CLASS SingleLineEdit INHERIT CsiMaskedEdit // cMaskedEdit
> //cSingleLineEdit GKC

Facelift uses the control type as defined in the window binary and
CAVOWED.INF, so a SingeLineEdit is CONTROL:TEXTCONTROL:EDIT:SINGLELINEEDIT.
An XML mapping file is used to control the conversion; by default in the
case of a Windows Form app it is converted to System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.
The XML file can be updated, so if you would prefer you could convert
SingleLineEdit to System.Windows.Forms.MaskedTextBox.

Paul
http://www.vulcanmindmeld.net

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8