From: FromTheRafters on
news:hpcdc001eu7(a)news3.newsguy.com...
> From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>
>
> | "Mumia W." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>>See this:
>>>http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r22225362-foxnewscom-infected~time=124019
>>>4878
>
> | Thank you very much! Fox News. If those rightwingers spent as much
> money on
> | fixing their web servers as they do hiring Sarah Palin to show up at
> their
> | rallies, there'd be a lot less malware out there.
>

> They came to most likely a faux conclusion.
> "...I now categorize foxnews.com as infested..."
>
> Either of two possibilities but not "infected".
>
> A malvertisement in a flash file or the site was hacked and there is
> reirection happening.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would point that out. The idea that one
would have to click on an ad to get infested is erroneous. If someone
(not running as admin) gets one of those "your computer is infested and
we can help you" messages, you can maximize the window using task
manager and see the actual IP address of the malware server in the
address bar. (hint - it won't be foxnews).

From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> OK FTR - I don't doubt for a moment that David made no changes but
> that things have returned to normal.

Same here.

> How do *you* account for what happened?

Somewhere there is a program that adheres to the old standard of
changing the clocks on the first Sunday of April. Everybody else changes
on time, but that program waited until the first Sunday in April.

Is it his newsreader? Is it something at ES? I don't know or care. I am
only suggesting that the problem may still exist despite the symptoms
having gone away with the passing of the first Sunday in April.

> I'm not using E-S but David Kaye's messages were still indicating on
> my screen that his posts were one hour ahead of me. (Ok,Ok - I know
> I'm slow on things <vbg>)

Are his *new* posts in line with everyone elses? I wouldn't expect past
posts to change timestamps.

From: FromTheRafters on

> I do not believe he/she is involved in Cybercrime in any way. /Those/
> are the 'bad guys' in which I am interested.

Software piracy isn't cybercrime?

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "~BD~"<BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I do not believe he/she is involved in Cybercrime in any way. /Those/
>> are the 'bad guys' in which I am interested.
>
> Software piracy isn't cybercrime?

Not in the sense I meant it. AFAICT he is not using his 'tools' to do
anything other than help people. A bit like Robin Hood!

Quote:

Type I cybercrime has the following characteristics:

It is generally a single event from the perspective of the victim. For
example, the victim unknowingly downloads a Trojan horse which installs
a keystroke logger on his or her machine. Alternatively, the victim
might receive an e-mail containing what claims to be a link to known
entity, but in reality is a link to a hostile website.
It is often facilitated by crimeware programs such as keystroke loggers,
viruses, rootkits or Trojan horses.
Software flaws or vulnerabilities often provide the foothold for the
attacker. For example, criminals controlling a website may take
advantage of a vulnerability in a Web browser to place a Trojan horse on
the victim's computer.

Examples of this type of cybercrime include but are not limited to
phishing, theft or manipulation of data or services via hacking or
viruses, identity theft, and bank or e-commerce fraud.

**

This from the best of definitions I could find, here:-

http://www.symantec.com/norton/cybercrime/definition.jsp

--
Dave
From: Leythos on
In article <cdWdnZdjHOWkUiTWnZ2dnUVZ8qCdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk says...
> God sure moves in mysterious ways!

My guess is that he would ask you to take the off-topic things to email
or some group where it fits - this is a anti-malware group.

Trust yourself.