From: Jenn on
High Plains Thumper wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
>> Conor wrote:
>>> 7 says...

>>> <snigger> Linux - free if your time is worthless. If Linux is so
>>> good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in 1/40th the
>>> time it took Linux to get to 1%?
>>
>> ... because Windows is geared toward the general pc user, which is a
>> bigger market than Linux users. Market share has no bearing on
>> whether a system is better than another. They are totally different
>> markets altogether.
>
> Linux can also be for the general PC user, except for Microsoft
> monopoly maintenance:
>
> [quote]
> In contrast to the RPFJ, a meaningful remedy must account for the
> fact that Microsoft manipulates interface information in a
> variety of ways to preclude competition. Although too numerous to
> recount, Microsoft's tactics include:
<snip>

It makes sense that Microsoft operates in it's own best interests in order
to promote their product and discourage the use of competitor products.

Every business vies for marketshare.. Windows just happens to be more user
friendly to the general pc user upping it's market share in that particular
category.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Phil Stovell on
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:33:28 +0000, Conor wrote:

> In article <No32n.24084$Ym4.11961(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, 7 says...
>
>> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady cost saving Linux.
>
> <snigger>
> Linux - free if your time is worthless.
>
> If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in
> 1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

Because retailers don't make money off free software so have no incentive
to put it on their PCs. Free software isn't advertised and free software
isn't included in the trial bloatware that infests new PCs. I always
advise people to remove the crud that comes with their PC and to install
things like Avast and OpenOffice.
From: unruh on
["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.os.linux.]
On 2010-01-10, Jenn <nope(a)noway.com> wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Jenn wrote:

>>> ... because Windows is geared toward the general pc user, which is a
>>> bigger market than Linux users. Market share has no bearing on
>>> whether a system is better than another. They are totally different
>>> markets altogether.
>>
>> Linux can also be for the general PC user, except for Microsoft
>> monopoly maintenance:
>>
>> [quote]
>> In contrast to the RPFJ, a meaningful remedy must account for the
>> fact that Microsoft manipulates interface information in a
>> variety of ways to preclude competition. Although too numerous to
>> recount, Microsoft's tactics include:
><snip>
>
> It makes sense that Microsoft operates in it's own best interests in order
> to promote their product and discourage the use of competitor products.

Microsoft was found by a variety of courts to be a monopoly, and as such
it has a legal duty to ensure that its operating system allow
competition. Making its operating system operate so as to "discourage
the use of competitor products" is illegal.
The remedy ( for example breaking up MS into a OS and an applications
company, so that the applications were in direct competition) was short
circuited in the US by political consderations. (When Bush entered the
White House, the Federal prosecutors, who had won, withdrew before
sanctions could be pronounced by the courts). In Europe, MS was found to
have abused its monopoly and forced to pay a fine.

> Every business vies for marketshare.. Windows just happens to be more user
> friendly to the general pc user upping it's market share in that particular
> category.

Windows also uses its monopoly position to engage in anticompetive
practices. It is like the old ATT, when they discouraged anyone else
from entering the phone market to preserve their monopoly. They were
also keeping their marketshare by illegal activities. In that case
politics did not short circuit the legal actions, and we now have highly
competitive phone and internet services, something we would not have had
had ATT been treated as Microsoft was.
ATT also claimed that they offered superior services.

From: Kadaitcha Man on
Some stumbling bacterium named "unruh" ejaculated:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.os.linux.]

Put back, and groups list extended.

--
Test signature

Dinner tonight:
Festering cadaver foreskins and apple garnish smothered in cooked enough
live rat embryos and tendon vinegar, simmered in a chilled pannikin
stuffed with expensive medley of bologna and cooked corn in putrescent
intestine gravy, a side of parsley and a bottle of sewage.
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <MPG.25b30686e86bb707989b47(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> writes

>If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in
>1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

Because it's pre-installed on 99% of new PCs sold. And the sheep don't
know whether it's any good, so they go with the status quo.

Signs of this changing though:

<http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/05/aduc_to_file_windows_class_
action_compensation/>

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: fedora 12 install woes
Next: Mouse prob