From: Conor on
In article <No32n.24084$Ym4.11961(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, 7 says...

> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady
> cost saving Linux.

<snigger>
Linux - free if your time is worthless.

If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in
1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
From: bcoombes on
Conor wrote:
> In article <No32n.24084$Ym4.11961(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, 7 says...
>
>> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady
>> cost saving Linux.
>
> <snigger>
> Linux - free if your time is worthless.
>
> If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in
> 1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

It's a conspiracy, the aliens are in league with M$ to overrun the world.
From: Jenn on
Conor wrote:
> In article <No32n.24084$Ym4.11961(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, 7
> says...
>
>> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady
>> cost saving Linux.
>
> <snigger>
> Linux - free if your time is worthless.
>
> If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share
> in 1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

.... because Windows is geared toward the general pc user, which is a bigger
market than Linux users. Market share has no bearing on whether a system is
better than another. They are totally different markets altogether.
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)

From: Terry Porter on
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:33:28 +0000, Conor wrote:

> In article <No32n.24084$Ym4.11961(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, 7 says...
>
>> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady cost saving Linux.
>
> <snigger>

Idiot.

> Linux - free if your time is worthless.

Windows - closed and buggy, like your mind.

> If Linux is so good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in
> 1/40th the time it took Linux to get to 1%?

Studies show that 99% of all statistics are just fabrications.

--
This machine running Gnu/Linux Mint 8 and posting via Pan.
Jenn wrote:
> Conor wrote:
>> 7 says...
>>
>>> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady cost saving
>>> Linux.
>>
>> <snigger> Linux - free if your time is worthless. If Linux is so
>> good, how come Windows 7 got 5 times the market share in 1/40th the
>> time it took Linux to get to 1%?
>
> ... because Windows is geared toward the general pc user, which is a
> bigger market than Linux users. Market share has no bearing on
> whether a system is better than another. They are totally different
> markets altogether.

Linux can also be for the general PC user, except for Microsoft monopoly
maintenance:

[quote]
In contrast to the RPFJ, a meaningful remedy must account for the
fact that Microsoft manipulates interface information in a
variety of ways to preclude competition. Although too numerous to
recount, Microsoft's tactics include:

* "Secret Interfaces" - Microsoft does not publish all the
interfaces it uses and does not publish all the interface
information that others need to develop products that
interoperate with Microsoft software.

* "Crippled Interfaces" - For some functions, Microsoft
publishes information about an interface that is inferior to the
interface that Microsoft itself uses to accomplish a function, or
publishes incomplete information about an interface.

* "Kick Me Interfaces" - Sometimes, Microsoft publishes
information about an interface that Microsoft uses to perform a
function, but it "marks" non-Microsoft software in a way that
assures the interface will operate in an inferior way. Microsoft
can "mark" competitors software through tagging, signing,
encrypted passwords, or by noting the absence of such features.

* "Moving Interfaces" - If, by some means, a third party has
been able to obtain adequate interface information that Microsoft
doesn't want it to have, Microsoft will simply move the
interface. For example, Novell successfully figured out how to
enable its directory services software to interoperate with
Windows NT. To counter Novell's success, in Windows 2000
Microsoft broke up and moved the computer files containing the
interface information used by Novell and marked, or signed,
information required for the interfaces so that Novell could
neither use Microsoft's interface information nor replace it.

The typical result of such tactics is that Microsoft makes
competing products appear inferior to Microsoft's products.
Microsoft's actions may make a competing product appear slower,
require more memory, or perform with limited functionality. These
tactics also enable Microsoft to persuade customers to buy
Microsoft's inferior and/or more expensive products simply to
avoid Microsoft's roadblocks. [15]
[/quote]

Footnote 15:

[quote]
15. Perhaps most remarkable, is the arrogance with which
Microsoft exploits its anticompetitive efforts to impede
interoperability. Microsoft, for example, repeatedly issues
marketing materials that criticize products offered by Novell and
other competitors for technical problems cause by Microsoft's
refusal to allow effective interoperability with Windows.

Thus, in 1998, Microsoft's Website criticized Novell's directory
services product, NDS for NT, because "[i]t is not integrated
with the operating system." Further, Microsoft proclaimed that
Windows NT is "successful," because " customers have found that
Windows NT Server suits most of their needs now and they are
confident that Microsoft will deliver on other functionality that
they need in the near future. Such is the case with directory
services." In other words, in 1998, Microsoft admitted that it
did not yet offer a competitive directory services middleware
product, but it aggressively discouraged customers from using
Novell's product based on interoperability limitations created by
Microsoft and its "promise" of improving its software sometime in
the future. See NDS for NT: Increases Complexity and Cost Without
Adding Value, available at http://www.strom.com/awards/98a.html
(visited Jan. 13, 2002) (republication of paper appearing on
Microsoft's website until Jan. 22, 1998). Four years later,
Microsoft's Active Directory is still generally regarded as
inferior to Novell's eDirectory, yet continues to increase market
share at Novell's expense as a result of Microsoft's
anticompetitive acts. See, e.g., Products of the Year, Network
Magazine (May 7, 2000), available at
http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20010413S0005 (visited
Jan. 15, 2002).
[/quote]