From: Snit on
Phil Stovell stated in post
pan.2010.01.10.19.24.47.723405(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:24 PM:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:15:49 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> Phil Stovell stated in post
>> pan.2010.01.10.19.05.37.570753(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:05 PM:

>>> It doesn't even work in other Microsoft products! So, to view a MS Word
>>> document, you MUST have MS Word installed!
>>>
>>> ISO/IEC 26300:2006
>>
>> Yes, the best way to work with MS Word files is to use MS Word. Neither
>> OpenOffice, Pages nor any other tool I know handles them well.
>
> It's a totally closed environment then. Proprietary software saving data
> to an open standards file (ODF) in a proprietary format (DOCX) that even
> other Microsoft software can't read.

Do not get me wrong - I wish the de facto standard was not the MS Office
format, but it is.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Baron on
Snit Inscribed thus:

> Phil Stovell stated in post
> pan.2010.01.10.19.05.37.570753(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:05
> PM:
>
>>> You DID claim that OO works fine with all Office docs. Which makes
>>> you ignorant of reality, stupid or a liar.
>>>
>>> Which is it?
>>
>> It doesn't even work in other Microsoft products! So, to view a MS
>> Word document, you MUST have MS Word installed!
>>
>> ISO/IEC 26300:2006
>
> Yes, the best way to work with MS Word files is to use MS Word.
> Neither OpenOffice, Pages nor any other tool I know handles them well.

Not even M$ Word handles its own files properly !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Phil Stovell Inscribed thus:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:15:49 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> Phil Stovell stated in post
>> pan.2010.01.10.19.05.37.570753(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:05
>> PM:

>>> It doesn't even work in other Microsoft products! So, to view a MS
>>> Word document, you MUST have MS Word installed!
>>>
>>> ISO/IEC 26300:2006
>>
>> Yes, the best way to work with MS Word files is to use MS Word.
>> Neither OpenOffice, Pages nor any other tool I know handles them
>> well.
>
> It's a totally closed environment then. Proprietary software saving
> data to an open standards file (ODF) in a proprietary format (DOCX)
> that even other Microsoft software can't read.

M$ can't even get that right. Not that they want to of course !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Phil Stovell on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:34:19 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Phil Stovell stated in post
> pan.2010.01.10.19.24.47.723405(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:24
> PM:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:15:49 -0700, Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Phil Stovell stated in post
>>> pan.2010.01.10.19.05.37.570753(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:05
>>> PM:

>>> Yes, the best way to work with MS Word files is to use MS Word.
>>> Neither OpenOffice, Pages nor any other tool I know handles them well.
>>
>> It's a totally closed environment then. Proprietary software saving
>> data to an open standards file (ODF) in a proprietary format (DOCX)
>> that even other Microsoft software can't read.
>
> Do not get me wrong - I wish the de facto standard was not the MS Office
> format, but it is.

So MS reckon they've locked-in another 10 million users into MSO over OO?

But DOCX is a very new format, I'd bet most existing docs are in .DOC
format, which OO and even other MS products can render properly. I've yet
to be emailed a .DOCX file, .DOC files I get seem OK in OO.
From: Snit on
Phil Stovell stated in post
pan.2010.01.10.19.46.22.128728(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:46 PM:

>>> It's a totally closed environment then. Proprietary software saving
>>> data to an open standards file (ODF) in a proprietary format (DOCX)
>>> that even other Microsoft software can't read.
>>
>> Do not get me wrong - I wish the de facto standard was not the MS Office
>> format, but it is.
>
> So MS reckon they've locked-in another 10 million users into MSO over OO?
>
> But DOCX is a very new format, I'd bet most existing docs are in .DOC
> format, which OO and even other MS products can render properly. I've yet
> to be emailed a .DOCX file, .DOC files I get seem OK in OO.

OpenOffice and Pages handle DOC better than they do DOCX, but they still
have lots of problems with it. And, unfortunately, OpenOffice is simply not
as capable nor easy to use program as is MS Office. Other than dealing with
more file formats, what intrinsic benefits does OpenOffice Writer have over
MS Office Word?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last