From: JEDIDIAH on
On 2010-01-10, Phil Stovell <phil(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:53:06 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> Phil Stovell stated in post
>> pan.2010.01.10.19.46.22.128728(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk on 1/10/10 12:46 PM:

>>> So MS reckon they've locked-in another 10 million users into MSO over
>>> OO?
>>>
>>> But DOCX is a very new format, I'd bet most existing docs are in .DOC
>>> format, which OO and even other MS products can render properly. I've
>>> yet to be emailed a .DOCX file, .DOC files I get seem OK in OO.
>>
>> OpenOffice and Pages handle DOC better than they do DOCX, but they still
>> have lots of problems with it. And, unfortunately, OpenOffice is simply
>> not as capable nor easy to use program as is MS Office. Other than

Total bullshit.

The only value of msoffice is the perception is that it is most compatable
with msoffice. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what word processor or spreadsheet
you are talking about. They're interchangeable to most people.

Infact, anything rather than msoffice 2007 will be considered better
and easier including ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS simply because Microsoft decided
to jump the shark.

>> dealing with more file formats, what intrinsic benefits does OpenOffice
>> Writer have over MS Office Word?
>
> It's free.

You don't have to track it for auditing purposes.

You don't have to worry about whether or not you have enough licenses
or the right kind of licenses. You don't have to waste time managing that
and you don't have to worry about the BSA coming in and shaking you down.

--

Apple: Because if it's not Quicktime, then it's pirated. |||
/ | \
From: Simon Finnigan on
"7" <website_has_email(a)www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
> Most of the IT costs in the company I work for are
> only related to micoshaft products failing.
> All the excuses don't compare with rock steady
> cost saving Linux.

Gibbering on about Microshaft only makes you look an idiot. If you want to
make a rational argument then you should try speaking like an adult. Speak
like a 12 year old fan-boi and that`s what people will think you are!

From: Rex Ballard on
On Jan 10, 3:31 pm, Snit <use...(a)gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> High Plains Thumper stated in post 4b4a3678$0$9752$6e1ed...(a)read.cnntp.org
> on 1/10/10 1:20 PM:
>

> > Phil Stovell wrote:

> >> It's free.
>
> > You mean to tell me that Snit is still on his high horse claiming all
> > sorts of unsubstantiated problems with OpenOffice?  (Or using examples
> > tampered with from his website, because that is the only place he can
> > alter formats and call them original?
>
> Oh!  Oh!  Please do show where I have "tampered" with evidence!  Oh, show
> everyone how much I have done so.
>
> What?
>
> Not a single example from you that you can actually support?  Not one?  Oh,
> poor HPT... just full of accusations and BS.  Hey, as long as you are
> claiming my evidence is forged, why not show how to do this with OpenOffice:
>
>     <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents.mov>
>     <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents2.mov>

Some interestting document.

Page 1 - The gibberish on the first page is a watermark. You can't
see it, and it could just as easily have been a virus or worm.

Page 2 - The missing image is not am MS-Office diagram, it's an OLE
object - binary, executable, and potentially could carry a virus.

Page 3 - Embedded another binary file into the table. Could be a nice
safe drawing, could be a virus that turns your laptop or desktop into
a 'bot, or it could be searching all your word documents for certain
targets, and forwarding them to a spy, terrorist, or intelligence
agency, possibly not US.

Most of the diagrams look like Visio diagrams. But again, these
diagrams haven't been converted to any form of standard drawings.
It's possible for the original author to convert the drawings to
powerpoint format by copying them to powerpoint, then ungrouping the
objects, then pasting the powerpoint object into the word document.
This would convert well to OpenOffice and would not open as many
security holes and back doors once saved in ODF.

The other example used a Microsoft copyrighted template. License
forbids using the template in OO. Approximations may not be
possible. Any binaries embedded?

Little hint here:

If you CAN'T view it in OpenOffice, there are probably at least one or
more security violations.

From: Snit on
Rex Ballard stated in post
e73ef485-0d76-49ee-907d-d9f6dfdbbf1a(a)f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com on 1/10/10
5:13 PM:

> On Jan 10, 3:31�pm, Snit <use...(a)gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper stated in post 4b4a3678$0$9752$6e1ed...(a)read.cnntp.org
>> on 1/10/10 1:20 PM:

>>> You mean to tell me that Snit is still on his high horse claiming all
>>> sorts of unsubstantiated problems with OpenOffice? �(Or using examples
>>> tampered with from his website, because that is the only place he can
>>> alter formats and call them original?
>>
>> Oh! �Oh! �Please do show where I have "tampered" with evidence! �Oh, show
>> everyone how much I have done so.
>>
>> What?
>>
>> Not a single example from you that you can actually support? �Not one? �Oh,
>> poor HPT... just full of accusations and BS. �Hey, as long as you are
>> claiming my evidence is forged, why not show how to do this with OpenOffice:
>>
>> � � <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents.mov>
>> � � <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents2.mov>
>
> Some interestting document.

You comments seem to relate not to the links right above but to:

<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OfficeComp/>
<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OfficeComp2/>

If not, well, I admit to being a bit lost as to what you are talking about.

> Page 1 - The gibberish on the first page is a watermark. You can't
> see it, and it could just as easily have been a virus or worm.

Nope... messed up images.

> Page 2 - The missing image is not am MS-Office diagram, it's an OLE
> object - binary, executable, and potentially could carry a virus.

There are no executables in the file.

> Page 3 - Embedded another binary file into the table. Could be a nice
> safe drawing, could be a virus that turns your laptop or desktop into
> a 'bot, or it could be searching all your word documents for certain
> targets, and forwarding them to a spy, terrorist, or intelligence
> agency, possibly not US.

So give a warning and let the user decide... or explain why the user is
being "protected" from an *image*.

> Most of the diagrams look like Visio diagrams.

Well, diagrams from a similar program... saved as, I think, PDFs.

> But again, these diagrams haven't been converted to any form of standard
> drawings.

Would have to check, but pretty sure they were PDFs.

> It's possible for the original author to convert the drawings to powerpoint
> format by copying them to powerpoint, then ungrouping the objects, then
> pasting the powerpoint object into the word document. This would convert well
> to OpenOffice and would not open as many security holes and back doors once
> saved in ODF.
>
> The other example used a Microsoft copyrighted template. License
> forbids using the template in OO. Approximations may not be
> possible. Any binaries embedded?

What MS template?

> Little hint here:
>
> If you CAN'T view it in OpenOffice, there are probably at least one or
> more security violations.

But other open source programs handle PDFs just fine.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Jenn on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:04:01 +0000, unruh wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.os.linux.]
> On 2010-01-10, Jenn <Jenn(a)noway.whatever> wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:02:40 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote:

<snip>
>> IMO, it's a waste of time challenging Microsoft
>> when companies should put their efforts into producing a product that can
>> actually compete in the marketplace and provide consumers what they want.
>>

> If Microsoft engages in anti-competitive practices-- using its monopoly
> in OS to hinder or even prevent its competitors from actually "producing
> a product that can actually compete in the marketplace and provide
> consumers what they want", then those companies, no matter how hard they
> try, cannot compete.
> And those things will not be worked out in the courts if the legal
> system is corrupt.

If any business wants to be competitive then they should develop a product
that will blow their competition out of the water and *take* the
marketshare away legitimately instead of trying to do so by crippling
their competition. Microsoft is what it is .. they developed their
product and they don't want to share. They are in business to make money,
and that doesn't include doing less than they have to in order to keep
ahead. Healthy competition in business lends itself to better products,
cheaper prices for consumers, and new products brought about by thinking
outside of the box.

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/