From: davesurrey on
The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a bunch of
distros used for testing.
All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).

I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2 installs,
which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it reports a
kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating the software.

I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic. Now
after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error reported is kernel
panic.

I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without setting
all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3 times at various
stages before I gave up.

Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.

1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is there a way
around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really is this
bad.
2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does seem
second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a separate boot
partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't remember having this
on the previous install which booted okay.

FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and booted by
grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
All other distros work just fine in this PC.

I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it isn't
helping itself.
Thanks for any help.

Dave

From: YaZoR on
On 09/01/2010 16:22, davesurrey wrote:
> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a bunch of
> distros used for testing.
> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>
> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2 installs,
> which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it reports a
> kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating the software.
>
> I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic. Now
> after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error reported is kernel
> panic.
>
> I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without setting
> all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3 times at various
> stages before I gave up.
>
> Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.
>
> 1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is there a way
> around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really is this
> bad.
> 2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does seem
> second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
> 3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a separate boot
> partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't remember having this
> on the previous install which booted okay.
>
> FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and booted by
> grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
> Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
> All other distros work just fine in this PC.
>
> I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it isn't
> helping itself.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dave

My experience with the K7S5A board is that it is the biggest piece of
wank manufactured. I had nothing but problems with Win2K/XP, and various
version of Linux many many years ago. I'd bin it.
From: davesurrey on

"YaZoR" <a@a> wrote in message
> On 09/01/2010 16:22, davesurrey wrote:
>> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a bunch
>> of
>> distros used for testing.
>> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>>
>> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2 installs,
>> which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it reports a
>> kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating the software.
>>
>> I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic. Now
>> after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error reported is
>> kernel
>> panic.
>>
>> I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without
>> setting
>> all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3 times at various
>> stages before I gave up.
>>
>> Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.
>>
>> 1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is there a
>> way
>> around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really is
>> this
>> bad.
>> 2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does seem
>> second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
>> 3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a separate
>> boot
>> partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't remember having
>> this
>> on the previous install which booted okay.
>>
>> FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and booted
>> by
>> grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
>> Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
>> All other distros work just fine in this PC.
>>
>> I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it isn't
>> helping itself.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> My experience with the K7S5A board is that it is the biggest piece of wank
> manufactured. I had nothing but problems with Win2K/XP, and various
> version of Linux many many years ago. I'd bin it.

This is a thread on FEDORA not the mobo.
As I said it's a test PC and it's good to test things not just on bleeding
edge stuff but older kit,
especially that which, rightly or wrongly, was very popular at the time.
It runs all the other OS's just fine.

Okay anyone with any knowledge of the orig question please?
Thanks

From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a
> bunch of distros used for testing.
> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>
> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2
> installs, which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it
> reports a kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating
> the software.
>
> I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic.
> Now after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error reported
> is kernel panic.
>
> I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without
> setting all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3 times
> at various stages before I gave up.
>
> Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.
>
> 1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is there
> a way
> around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really is
> this bad.
> 2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does
> seem second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
> 3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a separate
> boot partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't remember
> having this on the previous install which booted okay.
>
> FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and
> booted by grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
> Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
> All other distros work just fine in this PC.
>
> I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it
> isn't helping itself.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dave

Make sure that you don't have any hardware problems. Particularly
memory and video. Fedora is probably the most picky when it comes to
hardware.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: davesurrey on

"Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>
>> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a
>> bunch of distros used for testing.
>> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>>
>> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2
>> installs, which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it
>> reports a kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating
>> the software.
>>
>> I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic.
>> Now after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error reported
>> is kernel panic.
>>
>> I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without
>> setting all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3 times
>> at various stages before I gave up.
>>
>> Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.
>>
>> 1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is there
>> a way
>> around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really is
>> this bad.
>> 2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does
>> seem second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
>> 3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a separate
>> boot partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't remember
>> having this on the previous install which booted okay.
>>
>> FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and
>> booted by grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
>> Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
>> All other distros work just fine in this PC.
>>
>> I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it
>> isn't helping itself.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Make sure that you don't have any hardware problems. Particularly
> memory and video. Fedora is probably the most picky when it comes to
> hardware.

Thansk for the input.
Hmmm....perhaps perhaps that what YaZoR was trying to say. ??

It's just that up until now (new HDD fitted) I have had no problems with any
distro on it over the last 3 years
including Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Mandriva, PCLinux, Arch, Fedora, Puppy,
SliTaz, TinyCore, windows 2000, XP, 7.......

Is there anything that it's particularly sensitive to eg RAM, PSU
fluctuations???
Is this the case with most recent Fedoras or notably Fedora 12?
I guess this is causing the kernel panics??

Thanks for any help
Dave