From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a
>>> bunch of distros used for testing.
>>> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>>>
>>> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2
>>> installs, which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases
>>> it reports a kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of
>>> updating the software.
>>>
>>> I did a new download of the live CD but same results...kernel panic.
>>> Now after a reboot it even refuses to boot up ...again error
>>> reported is kernel panic.
>>>
>>> I have also downloaded the DVD and this would not even boot without
>>> setting all BIOS boot options to CD. Then the install crashed 3
>>> times at various stages before I gave up.
>>>
>>> Questions to those who have experience of Fedora 12.
>>>
>>> 1. from Google it seems kernel panics and fedora are common. Is
>>> there a way
>>> around for this? I can't imagine such a prestigious distro really
>>> is this bad.
>>> 2. Anyone any experience of using the DVD for an install? It does
>>> seem second rate and a bit "dodgy" compared with the Live CD
>>> 3. I saw somewhere on my Google travels that "fedora needs a
>>> separate boot partition". Is this the case with version 12? I don't
>>> remember having this on the previous install which booted okay.
>>>
>>> FWIW I have fedora on primary partition sdb1 formatted as ext4 and
>>> booted by grub2 in Ubuntu 9.10
>>> Fairly old K7S5A mobo with Athlon xp 1800 cpu and 1GB ddr2 ram.
>>> All other distros work just fine in this PC.
>>>
>>> I'd really like to try fedora 12 and don't want to give up but it
>>> isn't helping itself.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Make sure that you don't have any hardware problems. Particularly
>> memory and video. Fedora is probably the most picky when it comes to
>> hardware.
>>
> Thansk for the input.
> Hmmm....perhaps perhaps that what YaZoR was trying to say. ??
>
> It's just that up until now (new HDD fitted) I have had no problems
> with any distro on it over the last 3 years
> including Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Mandriva, PCLinux, Arch, Fedora,
> Puppy, SliTaz, TinyCore, windows 2000, XP, 7.......
>
> Is there anything that it's particularly sensitive to eg RAM, PSU
> fluctuations???
> Is this the case with most recent Fedoras or notably Fedora 12?
> I guess this is causing the kernel panics??
>
> Thanks for any help
> Dave

I've had some weird fault symptoms that in most cases turned out to be
hardware related, not just Linux either. A fairly recent problem was
traced to bad ram, which turned out not to be bad at all when tested in
another machine. The actual fault was the capacitors in the memory PSU
circuits.

Fedora, particularly 11 & 12 seem to want to stress the hardware more
than some other distributions.

However it sounds like you may have hardware issues, since you said that
you were having problems booting. Check the M/B for "bad caps" A
board of that age almost certainly might have this problem.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: davesurrey on

> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>

>> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Make sure that you don't have any hardware problems. Particularly
>>> memory and video. Fedora is probably the most picky when it comes to
>>> hardware.
>>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>> Hmmm....perhaps that what YaZoR was trying to say. ??
>>
>> It's just that up until now (new HDD fitted) I have had no problems
>> with any distro on it over the last 3 years
>> including Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Mandriva, PCLinux, Arch, Fedora,
>> Puppy, SliTaz, TinyCore, windows 2000, XP, 7.......
>>
>> Is there anything that it's particularly sensitive to eg RAM, PSU
>> fluctuations???
>> Is this the case with most recent Fedoras or notably Fedora 12?
>> I guess this is causing the kernel panics??
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>> Dave
>
> I've had some weird fault symptoms that in most cases turned out to be
> hardware related, not just Linux either. A fairly recent problem was
> traced to bad ram, which turned out not to be bad at all when tested in
> another machine. The actual fault was the capacitors in the memory PSU
> circuits.
>
> Fedora, particularly 11 & 12 seem to want to stress the hardware more
> than some other distributions.
>
> However it sounds like you may have hardware issues, since you said that
> you were having problems booting. Check the M/B for "bad caps" A
> board of that age almost certainly might have this problem.

Good input again for which thanks.
It's booting all the other OSs fine and it was doing that until just now
even with Fedora.
I've had a good look around and nothing is obvious. Replaced the PSU and HDD
very recently so not much else left.
I'll have another look and swap a few things.
Oh well...
Cheers

From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>>

>>> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the input.
>>> Hmmm....perhaps that what YaZoR was trying to say. ??
>>>
>>> It's just that up until now (new HDD fitted) I have had no problems
>>> with any distro on it over the last 3 years
>>> including Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Mandriva, PCLinux, Arch, Fedora,
>>> Puppy, SliTaz, TinyCore, windows 2000, XP, 7.......
>>>
>>> Is there anything that it's particularly sensitive to eg RAM, PSU
>>> fluctuations???
>>> Is this the case with most recent Fedoras or notably Fedora 12?
>>> I guess this is causing the kernel panics??
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>> Dave
>>
>> I've had some weird fault symptoms that in most cases turned out to
>> be
>> hardware related, not just Linux either. A fairly recent problem was
>> traced to bad ram, which turned out not to be bad at all when tested
>> in
>> another machine. The actual fault was the capacitors in the memory
>> PSU circuits.
>>
>> Fedora, particularly 11 & 12 seem to want to stress the hardware more
>> than some other distributions.
>>
>> However it sounds like you may have hardware issues, since you said
>> that
>> you were having problems booting. Check the M/B for "bad caps" A
>> board of that age almost certainly might have this problem.
>>
> Good input again for which thanks.
> It's booting all the other OSs fine and it was doing that until just
> now even with Fedora.
> I've had a good look around and nothing is obvious. Replaced the PSU
> and HDD very recently so not much else left.
> I'll have another look and swap a few things.
> Oh well...
> Cheers

Just a quick note on "bad caps" whilst a visual inspection will allow
you to recognise a bad cap, because its top is bulged or its leaking
electrolyte, a cap can be bad with absolutely no external signs at all.

There are particular parts of the circuitry where a capacitor going bad
is very common. These are in any power supply circuits, any hot areas
such as around the CPU, video card etc. Remember that video cards have
onboard power supply circuits as well as CD drives and HDD. Though HDD
are rarely troublesome.

HTH.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: crn on
davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a bunch of
> distros used for testing.
> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>
> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2 installs,
> which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it reports a
> kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating the software.

First download memtest86, burn it to CDROM and boot it.
This will give the motherboard and memory a good workout, if it fails
you may need to reseat or replace some memory, connectors etc.
If you have more than one DIMM you could try removing them and trying
one at a time.

If you cannot run memtest86 correctly first try swapping out the CDROM
drive, if this fails you have serious hardware problems.

Notice that I have not yet mentioned your hard drive - there is no point
in considering it until the above stuff is OK. Now make sure that your
new hard drive is in fact good. It only takes one bad track in the swap
partition to scribble all over system memory and cause great weeping
and wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to reproduce a fault that by
definition screws up differently every time.

From: davesurrey on

<crn(a)NOSPAM.netunix.com> wrote in message
> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a bunch
>> of
>> distros used for testing.
>> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>>
>> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2 installs,
>> which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases it reports a
>> kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of updating the software.
>
> First download memtest86, burn it to CDROM and boot it.
> This will give the motherboard and memory a good workout, if it fails
> you may need to reseat or replace some memory, connectors etc.
> If you have more than one DIMM you could try removing them and trying
> one at a time.
>
> If you cannot run memtest86 correctly first try swapping out the CDROM
> drive, if this fails you have serious hardware problems.
>
> Notice that I have not yet mentioned your hard drive - there is no point
> in considering it until the above stuff is OK. Now make sure that your
> new hard drive is in fact good. It only takes one bad track in the swap
> partition to scribble all over system memory and cause great weeping
> and wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to reproduce a fault that by
> definition screws up differently every time.

Thanks for this.
Did a memest86 and found no errors.
HDD is new and is only a week old.
All caps look ok but who knows??