From: Baron on
Darren Salt Inscribed thus:

> I demand that Baron may or may not have written...
>
> [snip]
>> Remember that video cards have onboard power supply circuits as well
>> as CD drives and HDD.
>
> I know that old sound cards have IDE interfaces, but that's just
> silly...

I'll ignore that remark !

If you look at the video PCI, AGP, PCIe etc you will find at least one
probably more power supply circuits. How do you think they get the
1.5v or there abouts for the Vcpu.

Same applies to the other items I mentioned.

Indeed I'm surprised by your ignorance !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Nix on
On 10 Jan 2010, Baron verbalised:
> 75% of software problems are hardware related, ignoring virus and
> PBKC.

Speaking as someone who writes software for a living, boyoboy you
couldn't be more wrong. I'd give the figure as well under 1%. Bugs
in software are ubiquitous.

(Even considering "you didn't read the hardware spec before you did $FOO
and now it's failed" as a "hardware bug" and thus considering
cache-coherency problems in multithreaded apps to be "hardware
problems", the figure is likely still well under 5%).
From: Nix on
On 14 Jan 2010, Baron said:

> Darren Salt Inscribed thus:
>
>> I demand that Baron may or may not have written...
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Remember that video cards have onboard power supply circuits as well
>>> as CD drives and HDD.
>>
>> I know that old sound cards have IDE interfaces, but that's just
>> silly...

:)))

> I'll ignore that remark !

You missed the joke, right?

> If you look at the video PCI, AGP, PCIe etc you will find at least one
> probably more power supply circuits. How do you think they get the
> 1.5v or there abouts for the Vcpu.
>
> Same applies to the other items I mentioned.
>
> Indeed I'm surprised by your ignorance !

Yes, you missed the joke.
From: Nix on
On 9 Jan 2010, crn(a)nospam.netunix.com told this:
> First download memtest86, burn it to CDROM and boot it.
> This will give the motherboard and memory a good workout

Actually just about all it proves is that the RAM isn't utterly
broken. It can't spot more subtle problems such as crosstalk flipping
bits when particular patterns are sent down the bus and that sort of
thing. (At least, not reliably.)

My latest desktop box is a Core i7 with a fully-populated Asus P6T
motherboard, i.e. 12Gb RAM. When I got it, that RAM was clocked at
1333MHz. memtest worked, but a GCC bootstrap-and-test threw multiple
spontaneous coredumps, a huge pile of test failures, a bunch of machine
check exceptions and a system lockup at me. Slowing the RAM to 1066MHz
fixed the problem completely: our suspicion is that the motherboard
simply doesn't deliver enough power to run all its RAM chips at its top
rated speed.

Note that memtest *did not spot this*.

(A lot of people swear by kernel compilations for finding problems like
this, but I swear by rolling GCC bootstrap-and-test runs. They're harder
to set up than a rolling kernel compile, but not only do they test the
RAM and caches hard by doing a lot of pointer chasing --- any use of GCC
will do that --- but they compile some truly enormous things, using many
Gb of RAM if bootstrapped with --enable-intermodule (if it works, that's
a rather wobbly option), and then they write them to disk, read them
back again and *make sure that they work the same as the originals*. The
problem with a kernel compile as system testbed is that the compiler
could be generating absolute rubbish or stuff that's different every
time you run it, and you'd never know. (Maybe this is a little unlikely,
but I'm paranoid.)
From: Baron on
Nix Inscribed thus:

> On 10 Jan 2010, Baron verbalised:
>> 75% of software problems are hardware related, ignoring virus and
>> PBKC.
>
> Speaking as someone who writes software for a living, boyoboy you
> couldn't be more wrong. I'd give the figure as well under 1%. Bugs
> in software are ubiquitous.
>
> (Even considering "you didn't read the hardware spec before you did
> $FOO and now it's failed" as a "hardware bug" and thus considering
> cache-coherency problems in multithreaded apps to be "hardware
> problems", the figure is likely still well under 5%).

Ok ! So you are the only person that programs for all potential
hardware faults... I don't think so !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.