From: unruh on
On 2010-01-10, davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:

><crn(a)NOSPAM.netunix.com> wrote in message
>> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
>>> Thanks for this.
>>> Did a memest86 and found no errors.
>>> HDD is new and is only a week old.
>>> All caps look ok but who knows??
>>> PSU volts seem okay.
>>
>> But is the new HDD good ?.
>> I am always suspicious of the last new item installed, test it.
>>
>> Do you have a Solaris machine?, the Solaris format command has some
>> very nice disk testing functions. You can run format from the
>> install disk if you boot with the -s option.
>> Slackware install disks also have an option to format each partition
>> when creating the filesystems which does a somewhat less thorough test
>> but should show up the worst offenders.
>>
> No don't have a Solaris to hand. Interesting about Slackware though.
> I should not have said new. What I should have explained is that I had this
> problem
> of kernel panics with the older HDD. I have replaced this with another HDD
> (that's why I referered to it as new.)
> In other words it does the same with both HDDs so I doubt it is HDD related.
> But one never knows. So I'll swop back the "old" HDD tomorrow to see it I
> can get it working that way.
> Sorry for the confusion.
> Dave

Sounds more like motherboard problems.
I had a machine that kept crashing when I did a file transfer. One day
when the machine crashed, I immediately looked the temperature of the
cpu in the bios. It was 180 C ( yes, way above the boiling point of
water). It was a new motherboard, and obviously the cpu had not been
installed properly. So, try looking at the temp of your cpu immediately
after the next crash. Alternatively, there could be other problems.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <hib9ai$e5f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Jim Price
<d1version(a)hotmail.com> writes

> I think you
>are being a little to quick to dismiss hardware problems.

Agreed.

> I'm not as
>dismissive of the k7s5a as YaZoR, as although it has its issues, I have
>normally got mine to play ball eventually, and I've not had any actual
>reliability problems with them.

Same here. Dave (OP) - try taking one memory stick out and
reinstalling. The K7S5A was well known for being iffy with two memory
sticks. Check the caps on the board, particularly around the processor,
for swelling or leakage of brown goo.

Try booting with 'acpi=off noapic' or whatever the correct line is, I
can never remember.

Finally, try dialling the board down to 100MHz. If F12 then installs,
it's almost certainly a hardware problem.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4b48cfdc$0$2491$db0fefd9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, davesurrey
<dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes

>Is there anything that it's particularly sensitive to eg RAM, PSU
>fluctuations???

Both. Use a good quality 300W+ PSU. 'S5a is picky about the power
supply.

I don't think you mentioned the board revision, as another poster said
you really want the v3.1 (top right hand corner.)

By the way. the fact that world+dog runs ok on it doesn't mean F12 will.
It's just tickled some weakness in the hardware.

--
(\__/)

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4b49172d$0$2533$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, davesurrey
<dave(a)antispam.invalid> writes

>HDD is new

Doesn't mean it's ok.

> and is only a week old.

Means nothing. Could be infant mortality.

--
(\__/)

From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> <crn(a)NOSPAM.netunix.com> wrote in message
>> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>>> The HDD on my test PC gave up this seek so I have been installing a
>>> bunch of
>>> distros used for testing.
>>> All went well except for trying to install Fedora 12 (x86 version).
>>>
>>> I used the very same Live CD that I had previously used for 2
>>> installs, which allows me to do an install to HDD but in both cases
>>> it reports a kernel error and refuses to get past the stage of
>>> updating the software.
>>
>> First download memtest86, burn it to CDROM and boot it.
>> This will give the motherboard and memory a good workout, if it fails
>> you may need to reseat or replace some memory, connectors etc.
>> If you have more than one DIMM you could try removing them and trying
>> one at a time.
>>
>> If you cannot run memtest86 correctly first try swapping out the
>> CDROM drive, if this fails you have serious hardware problems.
>>
>> Notice that I have not yet mentioned your hard drive - there is no
>> point in considering it until the above stuff is OK. Now make sure
>> that your new hard drive is in fact good. It only takes one bad track
>> in the swap partition to scribble all over system memory and cause
>> great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to reproduce a
>> fault that by definition screws up differently every time.
>>
> Thanks for this.
> Did a memest86 and found no errors.
> HDD is new and is only a week old.
> All caps look ok but who knows??
> PSU volts seem okay.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

PSU voltage measurements don't guarantee that the PSU is OK. The
voltages coming out could have large amounts of noise on them that can
only be detected using an oscilloscope. Again "bad caps" is the most
common reason for this ! That is bad caps in the PSU itself.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.