From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:09:21 +0000, Baron wrote:

>> It's just that instability, particularly non-pervasive instability, is
>> generally software's fault. If e.g. *everything* starts going wrong at
>> once in inconsistent and constantly-changing ways, *then* I'd start to
>> suspect hardware, but not before. (Plus, obviously, some failures, like
>> disk failures, are obvious when they happen. But disks are weird: I
>> mean, *moving parts*? How primitive!)
>
> Solid state HDD will fall in price as the take up grows. Couple of
> years maybe. ;-)

But, just like hard drives and writable optical drives, any SSD based on
current or related technology *will* wear out and fail after its designed
number of rewrites.

Does anybody know yet if, like writable optical drives, flash memory
degrades with time if unused?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Baron on
Martin Gregorie Inscribed thus:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:09:21 +0000, Baron wrote:
>
>>> It's just that instability, particularly non-pervasive instability,
>>> is generally software's fault. If e.g. *everything* starts going
>>> wrong at once in inconsistent and constantly-changing ways, *then*
>>> I'd start to suspect hardware, but not before. (Plus, obviously,
>>> some failures, like disk failures, are obvious when they happen. But
>>> disks are weird: I mean, *moving parts*? How primitive!)
>>
>> Solid state HDD will fall in price as the take up grows. Couple of
>> years maybe. ;-)
>>
> But, just like hard drives and writable optical drives, any SSD based
> on current or related technology *will* wear out and fail after its
> designed number of rewrites.

I agree, they will. But they are certainly more robust than existing
mechanical drives. They can only get better, bigger and cheaper.

> Does anybody know yet if, like writable optical drives, flash memory
> degrades with time if unused?

Good question. I would suspect that they do.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Nix on
On 26 Jan 2010, Paul Martin said:

> In article <6Ut9BkAO4yULFwR0(a)jasper.org.uk>,
> Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>> In article <87aaweuc6y.fsf(a)spindle.srvr.nix>, Nix <nix-razor-
>> pit(a)esperi.org.uk> writes
>
>>> Slowing the RAM to 1066MHz fixed the problem completely:
>
>> Didn't read the manual, did you?
>
> By Sellar and Yeatman?

Quite so. I don't understand Mike's comment: the manual says nothing
relevant.