From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>> The bottom line is "If the hardware isn't right the software never
>> will
>> be" ! Its far easier to test hardware than it is to test software.
>> Replacing a piece of hardware is a valid technique for fault finding.
>> However most people don't have the skills nor the equipment or spare
>> parts to fault find down to component level.
>>
> Hi Baron,
> I have no problem with hardware and , as I type this, I have an
> (admittedly old, but working) Tek 465 scope about to look at the PSU
> lines for spikes etc. Just looking for the probes now.

Now now ! Don't make me jealous. ;-)
The 465 is a dam good scope.
Unfortunately thieves broke in and stole mine along with a lot of other
kit.

> Will report back but probably not tonight
> Cheers
> Dave

I'll be interested in the results.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: davesurrey on

> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>

>> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> The bottom line is "If the hardware isn't right the software never
>>> will
>>> be" ! Its far easier to test hardware than it is to test software.
>>> Replacing a piece of hardware is a valid technique for fault finding.
>>> However most people don't have the skills nor the equipment or spare
>>> parts to fault find down to component level.
>>>
>> Hi Baron,
>> I have no problem with hardware and , as I type this, I have an
>> (admittedly old, but working) Tek 465 scope about to look at the PSU
>> lines for spikes etc. Just looking for the probes now.
>
> Now now ! Don't make me jealous. ;-)
> The 465 is a dam good scope.
> Unfortunately thieves broke in and stole mine along with a lot of other
> kit.
>
>> Will report back but probably not tonight
>> Cheers
>> Dave
>
> I'll be interested in the results.

Sorry to hear you lost a 465. This model has got a lot of nostalgic value
for me.

Not trying to make you even more jealous but I picked mine up for �50 last
year and although I needed to fix a few hardware issues it cost me zero
more.
Not easy to fix and as they use to say anyone who can fix Tek gear has a
good chance of fixing anything.
A lovely bit of kit.

Anyway please see my other message as to progress so far.
Cheers and I really appreciate your help.

Dave

From: Jim Price on
davesurrey wrote:
> JimP
> I really must thank you for all the effort you are putting in here. My
> sincere thanks.

Happy to help, as I needed to know if Fedora was borken on a motherboard
I have three of.

> I did a quick look around my K7S5A rig and checked capacitors which seemed
> the slimmest on the planet, PSU voltages which seemed fine, put a scope on
> the rails and didnt see any spikes that would scare me, swopped RAM,
> unhooked one of the HDDs, added noapic to the grub, unhooked one of the DVD
> drives, unhooked the FDD, changed PSU just in case, and then rebooted...Same
> problem.
>
> So I then brought down the PC under the stairs that time forgot.
>
> Installed fedora 12 on it...went like a rocket ...and then started a
> software install and, yes, the same problem as I was having originally and
> like you seem to have had.
> It just won't update the software and reports a kernel panic.

A slight difference was I just got errors, not a full on kernel panic.
I did kill software update pretty soon after the errors started.

> So may I ask what you did and I need to do to perform a software update
> using YUM rather than the graphical mode.

As root, in a terminal, just run the following command:
yum update
I got 663 updates earlier, which sounds horrendous, but it only has to
download patches, which took about 40-odd MB.

> I am really a novice when it comes to Fedora...that's why I wanted to
> install it to check it out and learn.
>
> I have the feeling that if I can get past the update for abrt then I may
> have a chance of success.

If you get that far, it should be fine. One other thing I forgot to
mention, I ran the install without the network connected. I don't think
it is relevant, or even necessarily connected, but I did get a problem
with my router on the first attempted install. I didn't need noapic
after I removed the second drive, but if you want to boot from grub2 on
Ubuntu, you would need to do custom partitions to avoid lvm, which grub2
in Ubuntu doesn't know about.

Also, if you are used to Ubuntu, you will probably want to set up the
rpmfusion repository, or it will seem like Fedora is a bit short of
software.

--
JimP
From: Baron on
Jim Price Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>> Jim Price Inscribed thus:

>>> the graphical software update tool failed all over the
>>> place.
>>
>> What graphics card ?
>
> It's a Radeon 7000ve (rv100 based, VGA, DVI and TV out, AGP 2x/4x).
> The failures in software update were not of the graphical variety BTW.
> The errors did not cause software update to crash, just fail to
> actually
> perform any of the updates it found. I was only running software
> update to see if I could replicate the original problem, which it did.
> yum update worked perfectly. xrandr was able to resize the display,
> and apart from a little flickering on booting, which is normal for
> that card, I didn't notice any issues with the display. KMS is enabled
> - I only said it works, not that it performs particularly quickly. The
> Nvidia 5200 I had was a right pain to get drivers working reliably
> with recent distributions on the K7S5A, and I suppose might be causing
> Dave's issues, but I have had a trouble free vanilla install from the
> liveCD on my K7S5A with only one disk present, whereas with two disks
> present, the install failed, so I'd be hesitant to blame the 5200
> despite my previous experience with it.

Ah right ! Some of the K7S5A boards had issues with the video power
voltage regulator running out of steam with some video cards. Changing
the data rate didn't always help, but putting in an older card with
less ram on it did.

I have a client running a machine with a K7S5A V3.0 using a GF400/32
which is quite stable. I did a "bad caps" repair on it about a year
ago.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Jim Price on
Baron wrote:
> Jim Price Inscribed thus:
>> Baron wrote:

>>> What graphics card ?
>> It's a Radeon 7000ve (rv100 based, VGA, DVI and TV out, AGP 2x/4x).
>> The
>> Nvidia 5200 I had was a right pain to get drivers working reliably
>> with recent distributions on the K7S5A, and I suppose might be causing
>> Dave's issues, but I have had a trouble free vanilla install from the
>> liveCD on my K7S5A with only one disk present, whereas with two disks
>> present, the install failed, so I'd be hesitant to blame the 5200
>> despite my previous experience with it.
>>

> Ah right ! Some of the K7S5A boards had issues with the video power
> voltage regulator running out of steam with some video cards. Changing
> the data rate didn't always help, but putting in an older card with
> less ram on it did.

I'm also of the opinion that cards which can do AGP 8x are trouble in
the K7S5A, but that's just a casual observation.

> I have a client running a machine with a K7S5A V3.0 using a GF400/32
> which is quite stable. I did a "bad caps" repair on it about a year
> ago.

Touchwood I haven't had any bad caps on my motherboards yet. My Sky+ box
is a different story, and I have a Dell monitor in bits here waiting for
me to get around to reflowing the joints on the inverter board and
finding replacements for some of the cheap obscure components they use.
Not just the caps. Pico-fuses... Bah!

--
JimP