From: davesurrey on

"Jim Price" <d1version(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> davesurrey wrote:
>> JimP
>> I really must thank you for all the effort you are putting in here. My
>> sincere thanks.
>
> Happy to help, as I needed to know if Fedora was borken on a motherboard I
> have three of.
>
>> I did a quick look around my K7S5A rig and checked capacitors which
>> seemed the slimmest on the planet, PSU voltages which seemed fine, put a
>> scope on the rails and didnt see any spikes that would scare me, swopped
>> RAM, unhooked one of the HDDs, added noapic to the grub, unhooked one of
>> the DVD drives, unhooked the FDD, changed PSU just in case, and then
>> rebooted...Same problem.
>>
>> So I then brought down the PC under the stairs that time forgot.
>>
>> Installed fedora 12 on it...went like a rocket ...and then started a
>> software install and, yes, the same problem as I was having originally
>> and like you seem to have had.
>> It just won't update the software and reports a kernel panic.
>
> A slight difference was I just got errors, not a full on kernel panic. I
> did kill software update pretty soon after the errors started.
>
>> So may I ask what you did and I need to do to perform a software update
>> using YUM rather than the graphical mode.
>
> As root, in a terminal, just run the following command:
> yum update
> I got 663 updates earlier, which sounds horrendous, but it only has to
> download patches, which took about 40-odd MB.
>
>> I am really a novice when it comes to Fedora...that's why I wanted to
>> install it to check it out and learn.
> >
>> I have the feeling that if I can get past the update for abrt then I may
>> have a chance of success.
>
> If you get that far, it should be fine. One other thing I forgot to
> mention, I ran the install without the network connected. I don't think it
> is relevant, or even necessarily connected, but I did get a problem with
> my router on the first attempted install. I didn't need noapic after I
> removed the second drive, but if you want to boot from grub2 on Ubuntu,
> you would need to do custom partitions to avoid lvm, which grub2 in Ubuntu
> doesn't know about.
>
> Also, if you are used to Ubuntu, you will probably want to set up the
> rpmfusion repository, or it will seem like Fedora is a bit short of
> software.

Just "# yum update" !!
Easy when you know how.
Well it's just started its 301 updates but potentially significantly it got
past all those abrt updates.
Fingers crossed.

From: Baron on
Jim Price Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>> Jim Price Inscribed thus:

>>> It's a Radeon 7000ve (rv100 based, VGA, DVI and TV out, AGP 2x/4x).
>>> The
>>> Nvidia 5200 I had was a right pain to get drivers working reliably
>>> with recent distributions on the K7S5A, and I suppose might be
>>> causing Dave's issues, but I have had a trouble free vanilla install
>>> from the liveCD on my K7S5A with only one disk present, whereas with
>>> two disks present, the install failed, so I'd be hesitant to blame
>>> the 5200 despite my previous experience with it.
>>>

>> Ah right ! Some of the K7S5A boards had issues with the video power
>> voltage regulator running out of steam with some video cards.
>> Changing the data rate didn't always help, but putting in an older
>> card with less ram on it did.
>
> I'm also of the opinion that cards which can do AGP 8x are trouble in
> the K7S5A, but that's just a casual observation.

I've had clients kill both the graphics card and M/B from sticking in 8X
adaptors.

>> I have a client running a machine with a K7S5A V3.0 using a GF400/32
>> which is quite stable. I did a "bad caps" repair on it about a year
>> ago.
>
> Touchwood I haven't had any bad caps on my motherboards yet. My Sky+
> box is a different story, and I have a Dell monitor in bits here
> waiting for me to get around to reflowing the joints on the inverter
> board and finding replacements for some of the cheap obscure
> components they use. Not just the caps. Pico-fuses... Bah!

Its very annoying because some of the caps that go bad show no physical
symptoms. Farnell do the "Pico-Fuses" ! I've tried to repair some of
the inverter boards and now go down the route of just replacing them.
Some of the transformers are really poor. Sometimes you can see corona
coming off them in a darkened room.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
davesurrey Inscribed thus:

> Just "# yum update" !!
> Easy when you know how.
> Well it's just started its 301 updates but potentially significantly
> it got past all those abrt updates.
> Fingers crossed.

Seems like your winning. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Baron may or may not have written...

[snip]
> Remember that video cards have onboard power supply circuits as well as CD
> drives and HDD.

I know that old sound cards have IDE interfaces, but that's just silly...

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

A wok is what you thwow at a wabbit.
From: davesurrey on

"Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> davesurrey Inscribed thus:
>>
>> Just "# yum update" !!
>> Easy when you know how.
>> Well it's just started its 301 updates but potentially significantly
>> it got past all those abrt updates.
>> Fingers crossed.
>
> Seems like your winning. :-)

Okay...to summarise:

I used the "PC that time forgot under the stairs" which is older than my
Test PC, and managed to run the Live CD. Then installed onto its HDD
(another Maxtor!).
I tried to update the s/w and got exactly the same result as I did with the
Test PC and which Jim also got. "Internal system error".
So tried Jim's fix of " yum update" run as root in a terminal and it worked.
Although originally it said it had 329 updates yum seemed to install 663,
same as Jim. (I guess the difference is betweeen packages and files??) All
these downloaded with no trouble..
Rebooted and all worked well including downloading extra s/w and no kernel
panics seen.

So approached the Test PC again. I had checked the PSU and even put a scope
on the voltage rails to check on any glitches/noise, using another distro
and copying files. Nothing. I then changed the PSU, changed the RAM sticks,
disabled midi, modem, games-port, serial, parallel and even onboard sound in
the BIOS. I added noapic to the grub stanza.
Then tried a fresh install. Live CD ran and installed. Upon reboot got a
kernel panic.
Note, all other distros still worked fine.
Did a Seagate long test overnight on the HDD. No probs found.

Swopped out the HDD for the "old" one, that I changed a few days ago as it
seemed to be misbehaving.
Ran Live CD and even here I got an error message saying "A crash in package
kernel has been detected".
Installed to HDD but didn't update any s/w.
Rebooted and got kernel panic.

Then did a reinstall on the Test PC this time using yum update before I
rebooted. It worked.

Then put back all the original components including HDD to the Test PC.
Followed the last approach, ie use yum update before rebooting, and it's
working.
Since this time I've not had any error messages or problems.

Conclusions:
1. using the GUI to update software seems to be broken atm.
2. not updating the software causes my test PC to kernel panic after a
reboot.
3. updating the software using the CLI fixes this problem.

FWIW Fedora12 is the only distro I have found that is sensitive to my test
PC (most likely the mobo).
If windows 2000, xp, 7, ubuntu 9.10, suse, debian lenny, tiny core, slitaz,
and several versions of Puppy over 3 different kernels, can all run on this
in the last week or so then I tend to feel it's more a fedora sensitivity
issue (as was suggested at the start) than a mobo one. Yes they both need to
co-exist but I think the mobo seems far friendlier than fedora.
Just my opinion of course. :-)

Now I can start to test it and learn.

Thanks to all for your help.

Dave