From: David B. on
You need to check with the ECS support website to see if a BIOS update is
needed, you may need to be at a required version to use DDR, this would be a
good reason to update it.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

From: RobV on
Roger wrote:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Roger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Am I on the correct group ! I wish to update my original bios for
>>> ECS K7S5A. The boot up screen info in lower left corner is >>
>>>
>>> ECS 62-0206-001131-00101111-040201 SIS735 K7S5A. I run Win XP Pro
>>> OS. I beleive the Megatrends date is 2001.
>>>
>>> Are there trust worthy sites out there,where I can update and is
>>> there a risk in the process ? I know some sites search your
>>> system for needed updates but what spy stuff has been implanted,
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and is it worth the
>>> update.
>>
>> Unless you have a specific reason to update your system BIOS - you
>> are likely better off not attempting it - especially given your
>> question. You would go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page,
>> search for
>> the BIOS downloads for your motherboard.
>>
>> Yes - there is risk.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> Well thank you all, for the prompt and fair comments. I don't appear
>> to have bios problem, so will leave well alone. As I have in past
>> done updates for drivers such as printer, DVD drive Etc, I thought
>> bios should be checked. I am about to replace my SDRAM with DDR,
>> two 512mb sticks, as my maximum is 1Gb. And my current 512 SDRAM has
>> been getting stretched a little and I have been getting a number
>> of virtual memory adjustments from windows.
>
> So things should be moving a bit faster I hope.
>
> Thank You Roger

There is SDRAM and there is DDR SDRAM. They are NOT interchangeable. A
module of SDRAM is physically different from DDR SDRAM (although they
look very much alike, there are different numbers of pins).

Make sure you get the same type memory when you buy the new 512 MB
module.

-----------------
-----------------
From: smlunatick on
On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, "Roger" <Mon...(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Roger wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> Am I on the correct group !  I wish to update my original bios for
> >> ECS K7S5A. The boot up screen info in lower left corner is >>
>
> >> ECS 62-0206-001131-00101111-040201  SIS735 K7S5A.  I run Win XP Pro
> >> OS. I beleive the Megatrends date is 2001.
>
> >> Are there trust worthy sites out there,where I can update and is
> >> there a risk in the process ?   I know some sites search your
> >> system for needed updates but what spy stuff has been implanted,
>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and is it worth the
> >> update.
>
> > Unless you have a specific reason to update your system BIOS - you are
> > likely better off not attempting it - especially given your question.
>
> > You would go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page, search for the
> > BIOS downloads for your motherboard.
>
> > Yes - there is risk.
>
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> >     MS-MVP
> > --
> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >Well thank you all, for the prompt and fair comments. I don't appear to
> >have bios problem, so will leave well alone. As I have in past done updates
> >for drivers such as printer, DVD drive Etc, I thought bios should be
> >checked.  I am about to replace my SDRAM  with DDR, two 512mb sticks, as my
> >maximum is 1Gb. And my current 512 SDRAM  has been getting stretched a
> >little and I have been getting a number of virtual memory adjustments from
> >windows.
>
> So things should be moving a bit faster I hope.
>
>  Thank You        Roger
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BIOS do not make PCs go faster. BIOSes define how to access the
motherboard components required to start (like to amount of RAM memory
and hard drive settinf.) Once th PC boots XP, BIOS has little control
to help XP. Update you PCs drivers should be considered first.

BIOS updates would normally be considered in order to help the
motherboard use "different" processors and different RAM type. If you
are not planning to do any hardware updates, do not update the BIOS.
From: David B. on
I looked up his board, it's one that supports both.

--

----

From: RobV on
David B. wrote:
> I looked up his board, it's one that supports both.

Thanks, didn't know they made ones that support both.

DISREGARD, please. See above.