From: Jeff on
Wow, you are good!

It is a Toshiba M105-S3084. I was sure the manual (long gone) said the max
was 2G - but that is from memory - and Toshiba only sells 1G sticks for it.

Are you sure? How do I find out for sure?

Jeff

From: Jeff on
I just checked at the crucial website and they did say my M105 laptop could
handle 4G.

But I am running Windows XP and if I read their web page correctly
apparently XP can only handle up to 3G.

Also, the crucial website says the Toshiba M105 supports "dual -channel
memory" and that I therefore should install memory in pairs. But, there
does not seem to be 1.5G modules available, which seems to send me back to
1x2G - unless I misunderstand.

Could you advise?

From: Thomas Wendell on

"Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> kirjoitti
viestiss�:u9X$4YOdJHA.5648(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, "Roger" <Mon...(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Unless you have a specific reason to update your system BIOS - you are
>> > likely better off not attempting it - especially given your question.
>>
>> > You would go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page, search for the
>> > BIOS downloads for your motherboard.
>>
>> > Yes - there is risk.
>>
>> > --
>> > Shenan Stanley
>> > MS-MVP
>> > --
>> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >Well thank you all, for the prompt and fair comments. I don't appear to
>> >have bios problem, so will leave well alone. As I have in past done
>> >updates
>> >for drivers such as printer, DVD drive Etc, I thought bios should be
>> >checked. I am about to replace my SDRAM with DDR, two 512mb sticks, as
>> >my
>> >maximum is 1Gb. And my current 512 SDRAM has been getting stretched a
>> >little and I have been getting a number of virtual memory adjustments
>> >from
>> >windows.
>>
>> So things should be moving a bit faster I hope.
>>
>> Thank You Roger
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> BIOS do not make PCs go faster. BIOSes define how to access the
> motherboard components required to start (like to amount of RAM memory
> and hard drive settinf.) Once th PC boots XP, BIOS has little control
> to help XP. Update you PCs drivers should be considered first.
>
> Sorry did not make it very clear, my boot up should be faster and it will
> handle more open programs better.
>
> BIOS updates would normally be considered in order to help the
> motherboard use "different" processors and different RAM type. If you
> are not planning to do any hardware updates, do not update the BIOS.
>
> I am only updating my Ram now, as 512 SDRAM has been under pressure at
> time, and my board supports Max 1GB
>
> Roger

Well, if you MUST update the BIOS, it's here, (with instuctions)

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?detailid=269&DetailName=Bios&DetailDesc=K7S5A%20Pro%20%20(V5.0)&CategoryID=1&MenuID=82&LanID=0

Remeber to take the second (newer one, dated 2003/06/30 , as it incorporates
the upper ones's support for newer Durons and fixes the sleep problem in
WinXP)

--
tumppiw
Helsinki, Finland

From: Paul on
Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:
> I just checked at the crucial website and they did say my M105 laptop could
> handle 4G.
>
> But I am running Windows XP and if I read their web page correctly
> apparently XP can only handle up to 3G.
>
> Also, the crucial website says the Toshiba M105 supports "dual -channel
> memory" and that I therefore should install memory in pairs. But, there
> does not seem to be 1.5G modules available, which seems to send me back to
> 1x2G - unless I misunderstand.
>
> Could you advise?
>
> Jeff

At $23 for a 2GB stick, do you really care how much is wasted ? :-)
Enjoy the cheap memory, while you can get it. Think back to
all the times it cost you $600 to fill a computer with RAM.

If it doesn't turn out to be that useful to you, hold onto it, and
wait for the price of DDR2 to rise.

Paul
From: Michael W. Ryder on
Paul wrote:
> Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:
>> I just checked at the crucial website and they did say my M105 laptop
>> could handle 4G.
>>
>> But I am running Windows XP and if I read their web page correctly
>> apparently XP can only handle up to 3G.
>>
>> Also, the crucial website says the Toshiba M105 supports "dual
>> -channel memory" and that I therefore should install memory in pairs.
>> But, there does not seem to be 1.5G modules available, which seems to
>> send me back to 1x2G - unless I misunderstand.
>>
>> Could you advise?
>>
>> Jeff
>
> At $23 for a 2GB stick, do you really care how much is wasted ? :-)
> Enjoy the cheap memory, while you can get it. Think back to
> all the times it cost you $600 to fill a computer with RAM.
>
> If it doesn't turn out to be that useful to you, hold onto it, and
> wait for the price of DDR2 to rise.
>
> Paul

Only $600? I remember paying $800 for 4 MB of memory and that was when
the prices were dropping.