From: Roger on

"RobV" <robv(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Roger wrote:
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Unless you have a specific reason to update your system BIOS - you
>>> are likely better off not attempting it - especially given your
>>> question. You would go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page,
>>> search for
>>> the BIOS downloads for your motherboard.
>>>
>>> Yes - there is risk.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>> Well thank you all, for the prompt and fair comments. I don't appear
>>> to have bios problem, so will leave well alone. As I have in past
>>> done updates for drivers such as printer, DVD drive Etc, I thought
>>> bios should be checked. I am about to replace my SDRAM with DDR,
>>> two 512mb sticks, as my maximum is 1Gb. And my current 512 SDRAM has
>>> been getting stretched a little and I have been getting a number
>>> of virtual memory adjustments from windows.
>>
>> So things should be moving a bit faster I hope.
>>
>> Thank You Roger
>
> There is SDRAM and there is DDR SDRAM. They are NOT interchangeable. A
> module of SDRAM is physically different from DDR SDRAM (although they look
> very much alike, there are different numbers of pins).

Thanks for this but my board has 2 SDRAM and 2 DDR slots and |I am aware
both cannot be used together.
My DDR will be 184 pin 266MHz
Roger

From: Roger on

"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, "Roger" <Mon...(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Roger wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> Am I on the correct group ! I wish to update my original bios for
> >> ECS K7S5A. The boot up screen info in lower left corner is >>
>
> >> ECS 62-0206-001131-00101111-040201 SIS735 K7S5A. I run Win XP Pro
> >> OS. I beleive the Megatrends date is 2001.
>
> >> Are there trust worthy sites out there,where I can update and is
> >> there a risk in the process ? I know some sites search your
> >> system for needed updates but what spy stuff has been implanted,
>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and is it worth the
> >> update.
>
> > Unless you have a specific reason to update your system BIOS - you are
> > likely better off not attempting it - especially given your question.
>
> > You would go to the motherboard manufacturer's web page, search for the
> > BIOS downloads for your motherboard.
>
> > Yes - there is risk.
>
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --
> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >Well thank you all, for the prompt and fair comments. I don't appear to
> >have bios problem, so will leave well alone. As I have in past done
> >updates
> >for drivers such as printer, DVD drive Etc, I thought bios should be
> >checked. I am about to replace my SDRAM with DDR, two 512mb sticks, as my
> >maximum is 1Gb. And my current 512 SDRAM has been getting stretched a
> >little and I have been getting a number of virtual memory adjustments
> >from
> >windows.
>
> So things should be moving a bit faster I hope.
>
> Thank You Roger
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BIOS do not make PCs go faster. BIOSes define how to access the
motherboard components required to start (like to amount of RAM memory
and hard drive settinf.) Once th PC boots XP, BIOS has little control
to help XP. Update you PCs drivers should be considered first.

Sorry did not make it very clear, my boot up should be faster and it will
handle more open programs better.

BIOS updates would normally be considered in order to help the
motherboard use "different" processors and different RAM type. If you
are not planning to do any hardware updates, do not update the BIOS.

I am only updating my Ram now, as 512 SDRAM has been under pressure at time,
and my board supports Max 1GB

Roger

From: Jeff on
> Why do you want to? Is there a problem with your BIOS?
> You normally go to the manufacturer and get both the update and directions
> on how to do from them.
> Going anywhere else is iffy if not dangerous. The people who made the PC
> or motherboard are usually the best source. And the most trustworthy.

Could a BIOS update allow me to increase the maximum memory the MB will
accept? At present the maximum is 2G RAM (1 x 2G). I would love to
increase it to 4G (2x 2G sticks). Is this BIOS dependent or hardwired into
the motherboard?

Board: TOSHIBA HAQAA
BIOS: TOSHIBA V1.80 06/09/2006

present memory: 2040 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'M1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'M2' has 1024 MB

Jeff

From: peter on
Your Laptop should be able to handle 2x2GB of Ram without any
modifications..
it seems to be a Toshiba satelite M105

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Malke on
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:10:24 -0000, "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Am I on the correct group ! I wish to update my original bios for ECS
>K7S5A. The boot up screen info in lower left corner is >>
>
>ECS 62-0206-001131-00101111-040201 SIS735 K7S5A. I run Win XP Pro OS. I
>beleive the Megatrends date is 2001.
>
>Are there trust worthy sites out there,where I can update and is there a
>risk in the process ? I know some sites search your system for needed
>updates but what spy stuff has been implanted,
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and is it worth the update.
>
>Thank You Roger

NO you are not in the correct group. This question has nothing to do
with the OS.

Ask elsewhere