From: Jeff on
"Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:
>
>> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message

>>>At $23 for a 2GB stick, do you really care how much is wasted ? :-)
>>>Enjoy the cheap memory, while you can get it. Think back to
>>>all the times it cost you $600 to fill a computer with RAM.
>>>
>>>If it doesn't turn out to be that useful to you, hold onto it, and
>>>wait for the price of DDR2 to rise.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> Of course you are correct about the price. Not being an expert I just do
>> not know if the extra memory will mess things up somehow. Will it?
>>
>> Is it true that my Windows XP Media center will only use 3G of ram?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> The amount of RAM that is available to use is 4 GB address space MINUS
> that address space used by your system hardware. Some systems have so much
> hardware address space used that only 2.5-2.75 GB is left for RAM
> addressing, others 3.5 GB. It ALL depends on what your system is
> configured with. There is NO 3 GB limit.

Thank you for explaining.

> There is NO 3 GB limit.

So, if I understand you correctly, the same system running Windows XP would
have more RAM available for programs if the 4GB are installed than if it
only had 3GB installed. Correct?

Just out of curiosity: how do I find out how much of my present 2G of
installed memory is used up by my hardware?

On my laptop, the video is integrated and I believe uses part of the memory.
Is that a factor?

Thank you very much.

Jeff

From: Jeff on

>>>At $23 for a 2GB stick, do you really care how much is wasted ? :-)
>>>Enjoy the cheap memory, while you can get it. Think back to
>>>all the times it cost you $600 to fill a computer with RAM.
>>>
>>>If it doesn't turn out to be that useful to you, hold onto it, and
>>>wait for the price of DDR2 to rise.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> Of course you are correct about the price. Not being an expert I just do
>> not know if the extra memory will mess things up somehow. Will it?
>>
>> Is it true that my Windows XP Media center will only use 3G of ram?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> The amount of RAM that is available to use is 4 GB address space MINUS
> that address space used by your system hardware. Some systems have so much
> hardware address space used that only 2.5-2.75 GB is left for RAM
> addressing, others 3.5 GB. It ALL depends on what your system is
> configured with. There is NO 3 GB limit.

> There is NO 3 GB limit.

Are you sure? The crucial.com website says:

"32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To
utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS".

Jeff

From: Bob I on

Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:

>>>Of course you are correct about the price. Not being an expert I just do
>>>not know if the extra memory will mess things up somehow. Will it?
>>>
>>>Is it true that my Windows XP Media center will only use 3G of ram?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>
>>The amount of RAM that is available to use is 4 GB address space MINUS
>>that address space used by your system hardware. Some systems have so much
>>hardware address space used that only 2.5-2.75 GB is left for RAM
>>addressing, others 3.5 GB. It ALL depends on what your system is
>>configured with. There is NO 3 GB limit.
>

>>There is NO 3 GB limit.
>

> Are you sure? The crucial.com website says:
>
> "32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To
> utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS".
>
> Jeff

They dummied down the reason and explaination, it is as I told you. Also
there is no 64 bit version of XP Media Center. There is only a 64 bit
version of XP Pro and it is OEM only. If your motherboard supports 4 GB
of ram, XP(32 bit) will provide RAM for all addresses that are NOT used
up by addressing your installed hardware. It is that simple.

From: Bob I on
In-line

Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:

> "Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Jeff(a)unknown.com wrote:
>>

>>>"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message

>>>Of course you are correct about the price. Not being an expert I just do
>>>not know if the extra memory will mess things up somehow. Will it?
>>>
>>>Is it true that my Windows XP Media center will only use 3G of ram?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>
>>The amount of RAM that is available to use is 4 GB address space MINUS
>>that address space used by your system hardware. Some systems have so much
>>hardware address space used that only 2.5-2.75 GB is left for RAM
>>addressing, others 3.5 GB. It ALL depends on what your system is
>>configured with. There is NO 3 GB limit.
>>

> Thank you for explaining.
>

>>There is NO 3 GB limit.
>

> So, if I understand you correctly, the same system running Windows XP would
> have more RAM available for programs if the 4GB are installed than if it
> only had 3GB installed. Correct?

Potentially, as long as the installed hardware consumed LESS than 1 GB
of address space.

> Just out of curiosity: how do I find out how much of my present 2G of
> installed memory is used up by my hardware?

None, the hardware(not refering to Integrated Video which can have
different amounts of shared memory assigned) uses Address space, not
memory.

> On my laptop, the video is integrated and I believe uses part of the memory.
> Is that a factor?

yes, whatever memory you designate as Video RAM will be unavailable as
System RAM

From: Jeff on

>>>The amount of RAM that is available to use is 4 GB address space MINUS
>>>that address space used by your system hardware. Some systems have so
>>>much
>>>hardware address space used that only 2.5-2.75 GB is left for RAM
>>>addressing, others 3.5 GB. It ALL depends on what your system is
>>>configured with. There is NO 3 GB limit.
>>

>>>There is NO 3 GB limit.
>>

>> Are you sure? The crucial.com website says:
>>
>> "32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To
>> utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS".
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> They dummied down the reason and explaination, it is as I told you. Also
> there is no 64 bit version of XP Media Center. There is only a 64 bit
> version of XP Pro and it is OEM only. If your motherboard supports 4 GB of
> ram, XP(32 bit) will provide RAM for all addresses that are NOT used up by
> addressing your installed hardware. It is that simple.

Thank you.

I ordered the 4G of memory. I was going to anyway, just wanted to
understand better.

Jeff