From: Eeyore on

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> "Eeyore" wrote:
>
> >> Two questions: does anybody know what happened to the company called
> >> C-Audio?
> >
> > Bought by Harman UK who moved them to Borehamwood, firing all the assembly
> > staff in Cambridge and then realised they hadn't a clue what to do with the
> > pile of parts they'd bought.
>
> So they're gone.

Kinda. I see no effort on Harmans's part to ressurect the name. The did sell
C-Audio's crappiest amplifier as a badged Crown for a while though. CE series ? 3u
high.

> >> And: does anybody happen to have a schematic for a C-Audio ST600 amplifier?

Well I did once. God only knows where it is now after 3 company moves.

> > 2u job ? With one puny fan at the back blowing blistering hot air over the
> > reservoir caps at the front ?
> >
> > If it's the model I think it is, I could tell you a thing or two about that.
>
> It's a 2U job, with a single fan in the back, but the front half only
> contains a big transformer.
>
> It's this one: http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/st600.htm

That's the one ! I'll save the story of shame for later.

Graham

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 1/07/08 14:02, in article 486A1CB8.A7839A4C(a)hotmail.com, "Eeyore"
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> Well I did once. God only knows where it is now after 3 company moves.
>

>>> 2u job ? With one puny fan at the back blowing blistering hot air over the
>>> reservoir caps at the front ?
>>>
>>> If it's the model I think it is, I could tell you a thing or two about that.
>>
>> It's a 2U job, with a single fan in the back, but the front half only
>> contains a big transformer.
>>
>> It's this one: http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/st600.htm
>
> That's the one ! I'll save the story of shame for later.

I've put the pictures here:
http://homepage.mac.com/kotroczo/PhotoAlbum62.html

Am I right in assuming that the left side should be the same as the right
side? Same value resistors? It looks like that, but I'd rather be safe than
sorry.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 30/06/08 0:03, in article 1s6dnR_TZM0nm_XVnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d(a)comcast.com,
"Denny Strauser" <dennysound_comcast_net> wrote:

(...)
>> If anyone's interested, I can take a couple of pics tomorrow at the
>> warehouse.
>>

> Joe,
>
> I'm interested. Send the pics - to MY email. Anyone with common sense
> can deduce my email address w/ info given. Hopefully bots can't.

I've put the pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/kotroczo/PhotoAlbum62.html

Do you still want me to email them?

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Eeyore on

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> > Well I did once. God only knows where it is now after 3 company moves.

> >> It's a 2U job, with a single fan in the back, but the front half only
> >> contains a big transformer.
> >>
> >> It's this one: http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/st600.htm
> >
> > That's the one ! I'll save the story of shame for later.
>
> I've put the pictures here:
> http://homepage.mac.com/kotroczo/PhotoAlbum62.html
>
> Am I right in assuming that the left side should be the same as the right
> side? Same value resistors? It looks like that, but I'd rather be safe than
> sorry.

I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption. Odd parts to burn out though, tends to
suggest 'RF' oscillation on that channel perhaps, or RF on the input.

I see they've changed the internal layout a bit too, replacing the more durable
metal can output devices with plastic encapsulated ones.

Check for symettrical clipping btw. They EAT output devices by running them too hot
which then fail 'open' so it's not initially obvious.

Graham

From: Phil Allison on

"Eeysore"

> I see they've changed the internal layout a bit too, replacing the more
> durable
> metal can output devices with plastic encapsulated ones.
>
> Check for symettrical clipping btw. They EAT output devices by running
> them too hot
> which then fail 'open' so it's not initially obvious.

** Plastic pack lateral MOSFETS do not fail open - since there are no
fusible drain bonding wires as in the TO3 kind.

...... Phil

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Advice needed