From: Peter on
"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>>> In message <52qml55jso75v14n8eptb937um2rstj9jk(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>> That should not happen. It does not in the UK. If you are found doing
>>> that sort of thing they throw you out.
>>

>> Actually whether you get business in the UK largely depends upon which
>> regimental tie you wear and which school you attended.
>
> So, you're not an "old boy"?

<G> At least not art of the network in the UK

--
Peter

From: Robert Coe on
On 21 Jan 2010 15:14:28 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
: In rec.photo.digital tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
: > On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:49:10 -0800, John McWilliams
: > <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
:
: >>On 1/20/10 PDT 7:49 PM, tony cooper wrote:
: >>> As a Nikon shooter, I've always thought Canon shooters are a bit
: >>> dorky. This photograph, taken at the practice field for the East-West
: >>> Shrine Game to be held in Orlando, seems to prove my point.
: >>>
: >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos/769666832_Z2Svd-XL.jpg
: >>
: >>Shoot, tony, you must be really bored to try to start with the C v N
: >>bits....but just to help out: I've always thought many Nikon owners were
: >>supercilious, insecure and pedantic!
: >>
: >>And look at the dork in the bg of the pic: long lens, but mono mounted
: >>on camera body.....
:
: > Yeah, but the Nikon guy is the one in the cool hat. We pedantic types
: > notice details like this.
:
: Clearly it's time Canon & Nikon woke up to the marketing opportunities
: in this kind of brand loyalty lifestyle accessories stuff. Harley
: Davidson have done a lot with their T-shirts, jackets, hats, belts,
: shades, cigarette lighters, deodorants, and handbags. And since
: "Nikon" (or "Canon") is much shorter than "Harley Davidson" you'll
: have a lot more choice where to put the tattoo. As I imagine would
: most of us :-)

Well, every time I buy a Canon, it comes with a gaudier neck strap than the
one before. Maybe that's as far as they're wiling to go.

Bob
From: Frank ess on

Robert Coe wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2010 15:14:28 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>> In rec.photo.digital tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, but the Nikon guy is the one in the cool hat. We pedantic
>>> types notice details like this.
>>
>> Clearly it's time Canon & Nikon woke up to the marketing
>> opportunities in this kind of brand loyalty lifestyle accessories
>> stuff. Harley Davidson have done a lot with their T-shirts,
>> jackets, hats, belts, shades, cigarette lighters, deodorants, and
>> handbags. And since "Nikon" (or "Canon") is much shorter than
>> "Harley Davidson" you'll have a lot more choice where to put the
>> tattoo. As I imagine would most of us :-)
>
> Well, every time I buy a Canon, it comes with a gaudier neck strap
> than the one before. Maybe that's as far as they're wiling to go.

Back in history, when I was a Nikon user, I received a high-quality
Nikon-emblazoned t-shirt as part of a promotion of I-forget-what
product. Even farther back in history, when I was a Canon SLR
film-camera user I'd quickly dispose of the supplied Canon
shoestring-like strap and replace it with the Nikon two-inch-wide
nylon item in my choice of garish yellow with black or garish yellow
with maroon (those are still great straps: wide enough to be
comfortable, slinky enough to take up essentially no space in the
bag). Canon gave me a visor and a ball cap at the Long Beach Grand
Prix; when I wore them both at once, bill of one to the front and the
other to the rear, three people asked where I got that two-peaked cap.
The interest was there ...

More recently, when I returned to the Canon camp, I saw a pretty wide
range of Canon-labeled shirts, bags, and ball caps on eBaY. Maybe
modern photography people are more interested in function and output
rather than style?

--
Frank ess

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:11:24 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>Both comprehensives I went to and the Grammar School (dear old thing
>had a 400 year History) had ties as did the two collages and university
>I went to.

They probably won't let you wear the old school tie because you don't
know the difference between "college" and "collage".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: mcescher on
On Jan 24, 6:53 pm, "Frank ess" <fr...(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:
> Robert Coe wrote:
> > On 21 Jan 2010 15:14:28 GMT, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> Clearly it's time Canon & Nikon woke up to the marketing
> >> opportunities in this kind of brand loyalty lifestyle accessories
> >> stuff. Harley Davidson have done a lot with their T-shirts,
> >> jackets, hats, belts, shades, cigarette lighters, deodorants, and
> >> handbags. And since "Nikon" (or "Canon") is much shorter than
> >> "Harley Davidson" you'll have a lot more choice where to put the
> >> tattoo. As I imagine would most of us :-)
>
> > Well, every time I buy a Canon, it comes with a gaudier neck strap
> > than the one before. Maybe that's as far as they're wiling to go.
>
> Back in history, when I was a Nikon user, I received a high-quality
> Nikon-emblazoned t-shirt as part of a promotion of I-forget-what
> product. Even farther back in history, when I was a Canon SLR
> film-camera user I'd quickly dispose of the supplied Canon
> shoestring-like strap and replace it with the Nikon two-inch-wide
> nylon item in my choice of garish yellow with black or garish yellow
> with maroon (those are still great straps: wide enough to be
> comfortable, slinky enough to take up essentially no space in the
> bag). Canon gave me a visor and a ball cap at the Long Beach Grand
> Prix; when  I wore them both at once, bill of one to the front and the
> other to the rear, three people asked where I got that two-peaked cap.
> The interest was there ...
>
> More recently, when I returned to the Canon camp, I saw a pretty wide
> range of Canon-labeled shirts, bags, and ball caps on eBaY. Maybe
> modern photography people are more interested in function and output
> rather than style?
>
> --
> Frank ess- Hide quoted text -

No, people ARE interested in style. That's why they're selling the
Canon items...

CM