From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-21 13:18:16 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

----------------------<Le Snip>------------------------

> I usually wear a beat-up, no logo, baseball-type cap. Last week we
> were out on Park Avenue (an up-scale shopping area in Winter Park) and
> we stopped in the Orvis store. My wife, who hates my cap, saw a Tilly
> hat on the rack and put it on me. It wasn't bad, but I saw the $72
> price tag and balked. If I was as cool looking as this guy, I might
> have considered it:

An old OD boonie hat can be found at most surplus or Army-Navy stores
for $10-$15. The soft brim is much more forgiving when you bring your
camera up to your eye.
I find that head gear with a more rigid brim can get pushed askew or
off your head. Then you look even dorkier fumbling for the hat without
dropping the camera.
Even with a baseball type cap this can be a problem (and I have several
of the no logo types, all battered and filthy) I find myself reversing
the peak to facilitate shooting. So when I need good Sun protection
while out with the camera I favor the boonie hat.
BTW it is easy to roll up and stick in a bag or pocket.

For the other kind of shooting my preferences are the baseball type cap
for pistol, and the soft brimmed boonie hat for rifle.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Pete on
tony cooper wrote:
> Too many of the posters here are wound too tight; their knickers are,
> anyway.

Cheers Tony.

Where is the cheerleader that Peter mentioned for the title (obviously not
suffering from knickers wound too tight)? No reply required!

Pete

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> We were down on Park Avenue to exchange a blouse I'd purchased for my
> wife. I have no idea of women's sizes, so when I shop I just grab any
> size of something I like and expect her to exchange it for the right
> size.
>
> Someone complimented me in a post on being married for 46 years. The
> trick is, when buying a gift like this, to pick a size that is
> obviously going to be too small.

Strongly disagree. Since we just passed our 49th, I am qualified on the
subject.
I never buy her clothing, unless we are together. Last week I was on the
computer and she asked me what I was looking up. I told her "Omar the tent
maker, so you can find that new coat you were looking for." I had two full
days of peace and quiet because she wasn't talking to me.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.com> wrote in message

> My weapon of choice for coping with everyday life is humour: that is a
> minority strategy. Just a fact.

Not so sure that humor, (despite your misspelling,) is not a widely used
strategy of coping with the vicissitudes of life. An example of how I did
things: Many years ago I worked for the government.
A directive came down that when we needed forms we could not get them at the
public forms window, they had to be requisitioned. Immediately upon
receiving that memo, I wrote an urgent memo to my manager, in response. I
said in essence that since we had no forms to requisition forms, I would be
unable to do any work until we received the proper forms. Within an hour the
original memo was revoked.

--
Peter

From: Russell D. on
On 01/21/2010 02:50 PM, Peter wrote:
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>> We were down on Park Avenue to exchange a blouse I'd purchased for my
>> wife. I have no idea of women's sizes, so when I shop I just grab any
>> size of something I like and expect her to exchange it for the right
>> size.
>>
>> Someone complimented me in a post on being married for 46 years. The
>> trick is, when buying a gift like this, to pick a size that is
>> obviously going to be too small.
>>

> Strongly disagree. Since we just passed our 49th, I am qualified on the
> subject.
> I never buy her clothing, unless we are together. Last week I was on the
> computer and she asked me what I was looking up. I told her "Omar the
> tent maker, so you can find that new coat you were looking for." I had
> two full days of peace and quiet because she wasn't talking to me.

:-)