From: Sara on
In article <1jllcu8.2fvl9x1x9k71fN%me9(a)privacy.net>,
me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:

> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <835231788300718893.087490me18-privacy.net(a)news.individual.net>,
> > zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > > I guess things have changed since I last tried to bargain with mobile
> > > phone companies. Some time back, I ended up repeatedly getting bigger
> > > and bigger discounts by telling Vodafone I was thinking of leaving them
> > > at the end of each contract.
> > >
> > > -z-
> >
> > I'm stiffening my sinews for this... we've got (unlucky) 13 connections
> > on our company account with O2, all but one is up for renewal. We all
> > use iPhones and now it's not a closed shop I need to look around for
> > competing deals. The one left over will just have to move later.
> >
> > And to make matters worse - I'm also looking at broadband deals,
> > landline deals and *and* a whole new hardware phone system.
> >
> > Sob. How many salesmen can I listen to before someone - them or me -
> > dies.
>
> I am the professor of not envying you, not envying you university,
> notenvyingyousville. Have an owl.

awww ta. An owl always makes me feel better.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
From: Jim on
Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > I am the professor of not envying you, not envying you university,
> > notenvyingyousville. Have an owl.
>
> awww ta. An owl always makes me feel better.

Even large ones?

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Sara on
In article
<afd8628e-3501-427a-9eb0-9e67d15f1970(a)t10g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
Sak Wathanasin <sw(a)nan.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13 July, 15:43, Sara <saramerri...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm stiffening my sinews for this... we've got (unlucky) 13 connections
> > on our company account with O2, all but one is up for renewal. We all
> > use iPhones and now it's not a closed shop I need to look around for
> > competing deals. The one left over will just have to move later.
>
> However, the phones will still be locked to O2, so you will need to
> get them unlocked. Tesco are doing pretty good deal at the moment.

Once they're out of contract, don't O2 have to unlock them if asked?
When we moved from Vodafone they unlocked them all without quesion or
charge.

From: Woody on
Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <afd8628e-3501-427a-9eb0-9e67d15f1970(a)t10g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
> Sak Wathanasin <sw(a)nan.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 13 July, 15:43, Sara <saramerri...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm stiffening my sinews for this... we've got (unlucky) 13
> > > connections
>>> on our company account with O2, all but one is up for renewal. We
> > > all
>>> use iPhones and now it's not a closed shop I need to look around for
>>> competing deals. The one left over will just have to move later.
>>
>> However, the phones will still be locked to O2, so you will need to
>> get them unlocked. Tesco are doing pretty good deal at the moment.
>
> Once they're out of contract, don't O2 have to unlock them if asked?
> When we moved from Vodafone they unlocked them all without quesion or
> charge.

Probably, but they unlock them for free inside the contract if asked
anyway.

--
Woody
From: Sara on
In article <1jlmdiv.1k39i1x1no3jf3N%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>,
black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:

> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <835231788300718893.087490me18-privacy.net(a)news.individual.net>,
> > zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > As I know someone who works for Vodafone and can get me 30% off my line
> > > rental, I thought I may as well call O2 and see if theyâ•˙d offer me
> > > anything to stay with them rather than move to Vodafone.
> > >
> > > Guess what they said?
> > >

> > > ╲No.╡
> > >
> > > Oh well, worth a try. They said I could only get a discount if I knew
> > > someone who worked for
> > > O2; it didn't surprise me that they wouldn't *match* the 30%, but I was
> > > a little surprised that they didn't bother offering *anything* - the
> > > rep's reason is that the iPhone is new, but surely they'd rather get £25
> > > a month off me than nothing at all?
> > >
> > > I guess things have changed since I last tried to bargain with mobile
> > > phone companies. Some time back, I ended up repeatedly getting bigger
> > > and bigger discounts by telling Vodafone I was thinking of leaving them
> > > at the end of each contract.
> > >
> > > -z-
> >
> > I'm stiffening my sinews for this... we've got (unlucky) 13 connections
> > on our company account with O2, all but one is up for renewal. We all
> > use iPhones and now it's not a closed shop I need to look around for
> > competing deals. The one left over will just have to move later.
> >
> I think half the problem is as far as the iPhone is concerned they can
> shift all they can get at full RRP anyway. I could wrangle all sorts of
> discounts on various other phones when my contract was up for renewal
> last year, but the iPhone, full price, take it or leave it.
>
> > And to make matters worse - I'm also looking at broadband deals,
> > landline deals and *and* a whole new hardware phone system.
> >
> Eeek. Do like Phone Co-op for our lines esp at work. All based in
> Oxford, bloody good support, cheaper than BT. Keeps us happy.

I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting idea.

> Had one come to look at ours the other month, told us our phone system
> was old and outdated (installed back in 2003), and then on our budget
> recommended the £4000 Siemens Hi Path 3550. Hum, we've got a Siemens
> 3550 bolted to the wall already... [1]

It's a Siemens Hi Path that we're getting rid of.

> > Sob. How many salesmen can I listen to before someone - them or me -
> > dies.
>
> Think positively, it's them that has to die.
>
> [1] And it's a modular system, want to swap something, slide a card out
> and slide in the new version of it. No need to replace the full system.

Until you *want* to do that, then suddenly it's not so easy. Or cheap.