From: Sara on
In article <1jlmmue.1uajf5ntkpqbwN%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>,
black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:

> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jlmdiv.1k39i1x1no3jf3N%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>,
> > black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:

> > > Eeek. Do like Phone Co-op for our lines esp at work. All based in
> > > Oxford, bloody good support, cheaper than BT. Keeps us happy.
> > >
> > I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
> > system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting idea.
> >
> Yeah, be interested on details but worrying that would be at risk of
> ISP. Presumably would stick that behind something bit more resistant
> that standard ADSL.

Oh heavens, yes. I'd be on a leased-line.

> > > Had one come to look at ours the other month, told us our phone system
> > > was old and outdated (installed back in 2003), and then on our budget
> > > recommended the £4000 Siemens Hi Path 3550. Hum, we've got a Siemens
> > > 3550 bolted to the wall already... [1]
> >
> > It's a Siemens Hi Path that we're getting rid of.

> > > Think positively, it's them that has to die.
> > >
> > > [1] And it's a modular system, want to swap something, slide a card out
> > > and slide in the new version of it. No need to replace the full system.
> >
> > Until you *want* to do that, then suddenly it's not so easy. Or cheap.
>
> Always the way. I've looked at the Draytek 3510IP system but right now
> the 9-5 hasn't got the budget for anything till the Siemens breaks
> anyway. What's the hardware options you've looked at?

We're looking at :

Mitel system - very flexible, runs over ISDN 30 or SIP, uses digital or
IP handsets, easy upgrade path (so they say).

Panasonic system - less flexible in some ways, more in others - phones
can be daisy chained in pairs to increase user base without extra wiring.

Splicecom system - I'd never heard of these before, but they're one of
the few companies whose phone system is completely Mac compatible, not
sure about them though to be honest.

One of the bugbears is the ability to use a softphone over IP for people
out of the office on laptops. Not many systems have them available for
the Mac, those that do (other than Splicecom) use third-party software
that doesn't have full functionality.

Each of the hardware offerings include moving us on to ISDN 30 with BT
or to a SIP deal and the sales company then taking over billing, at
vastly reduced rates than we are currently paying Virgin for our DASS II.

The hosted system is from a company we know called IsRightHere - I'm
still not sure about it, although I like the idea. It has to run on SIP
rather than ISDN 30 and I'm not sure I trust that enough yet.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
From: Bella Jones on
Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
> system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting idea.

What is a 'site bat handset' pls?

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
From: Sara on
In article <1jlml69.16hmyiz1gskxlzN%me9(a)privacy.net>,
me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:

> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
> > system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting idea.
>
> What is a 'site bat handset' pls?

Something in conflict with an owl, obviously.

From: Jon B on
Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1jlmmue.1uajf5ntkpqbwN%black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com>,
> black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:
>
> > Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
> > > system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting idea.
> > >
> > Yeah, be interested on details but worrying that would be at risk of
> > ISP. Presumably would stick that behind something bit more resistant
> > that standard ADSL.
> >
> Oh heavens, yes. I'd be on a leased-line.

> > > It's a Siemens Hi Path that we're getting rid of.

> > > Until you *want* to do that, then suddenly it's not so easy. Or cheap.
> >
> > Always the way. I've looked at the Draytek 3510IP system but right now
> > the 9-5 hasn't got the budget for anything till the Siemens breaks
> > anyway. What's the hardware options you've looked at?
>
> We're looking at :
>
> Mitel system - very flexible, runs over ISDN 30 or SIP, uses digital or
> IP handsets, easy upgrade path (so they say).
>
> Panasonic system - less flexible in some ways, more in others - phones
> can be daisy chained in pairs to increase user base without extra wiring.
>
> Splicecom system - I'd never heard of these before, but they're one of
> the few companies whose phone system is completely Mac compatible, not
> sure about them though to be honest.
>
> One of the bugbears is the ability to use a softphone over IP for people
> out of the office on laptops. Not many systems have them available for
> the Mac, those that do (other than Splicecom) use third-party software
> that doesn't have full functionality.
>
> Each of the hardware offerings include moving us on to ISDN 30 with BT
> or to a SIP deal and the sales company then taking over billing, at
> vastly reduced rates than we are currently paying Virgin for our DASS II.
>
> The hosted system is from a company we know called IsRightHere - I'm
> still not sure about it, although I like the idea. It has to run on SIP
> rather than ISDN 30 and I'm not sure I trust that enough yet.

Cheers. Noted for further ref. Would be interested in knowing final
choice & how it goes.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
From: Woody on
Bella Jones <me9(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm down to a choice of three hardware options or a fully hosted IP
>> system - no hardware on site bat handsets. Scary, but interesting
> > idea.
>
> What is a 'site bat handset' pls?

How do *you* communicate with your site bat then?

--
Woody