From: rafe b on
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:43:42 -0800, "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>> There is a certain irony that this business model is so well
>> "designed" that by Epson offering perhaps $10-$20 actual cost worth
>> of ink, they can make a person justify spending an additional $1000 or
>> more on a
>> printer.
>
>It is worth every bit of that extra $1000 if you want ultra chrome, larger
>prints, serious longevity, and industrial-strength product build.

What it's "worth" has to be considered on
an individual basis.

Though the 4800 is "industrial strength," when
it's broken and out of warranty, you'll need
an industrial-strength wallet to get it fixed by
Epson, or you'll need to be very handy and
resourceful. Will you be ready to change out
dampers, heads, waste-ink pads or main-
boards when the time comes?

On the other hand, when my R1800 is busted
and out-of warranty (I give it 18-24 months, at
the outside) I have the option of just chucking
it in favor of whatever's the latest and greatest
at the moment. From Epson or anyone else.

So buying a 4800 is like getting married.
Buying the 2400 or 1800 is a bit more like
"living together".... a more tentative
relationship, you might say.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Mark? on
rafe b wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:43:42 -0800, "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>> There is a certain irony that this business model is so well
>>> "designed" that by Epson offering perhaps $10-$20 actual cost worth
>>> of ink, they can make a person justify spending an additional $1000
>>> or more on a
>>> printer.
>>
>> It is worth every bit of that extra $1000 if you want ultra chrome,
>> larger prints, serious longevity, and industrial-strength product
>> build.
>

> What it's "worth" has to be considered on
> an individual basis.

Of course...which is why I included the "if" on three items above.
:)

> Though the 4800 is "industrial strength," when
> it's broken and out of warranty, you'll need
> an industrial-strength wallet to get it fixed by
> Epson, or you'll need to be very handy and
> resourceful. Will you be ready to change out
> dampers, heads, waste-ink pads or main-
> boards when the time comes?

I will be very surprised if any of that occurs during the years I'll use
it...though of course...it does and could happen...
BTW--The waste-ink "pad" on the 4000/4800 is a relatively HUGE "drawer" that
pulls out easily (in about .5 seconds), and is designed to be replaced by
the user. It is amazing how massive the thing is compared with the tiny
little band-aid sized "pad" (as you appropriately called it) found in
Epson's lesser printers. On the other hand... The little pad in my old
1270 has done the job for 6 years...even though it appears to be quite
saturated. On the 4000/4800, the drawer is 9 inches long...4 inches
wide...and 3 inches tall...and the drawer is entirely filled with felt-like
absorbsion material. The menu system actually keeps track of how full the
drawer is, and will warn you when you need to have another one handy. I've
not filled one, but I've got a spare for when that need eventually comes.

The 4000/4800 also has other user-serviceable parts...such as rollers,
automatic paper cutting unit replacements, and other odds and ends. There
is also extensive cleaning/priming functions built in in the case that a
clog does occur. It is a very robust machine, built with the assumption
that it will see heavy, prolonged, day-to-day use by people who sell it's
prints.

> On the other hand, when my R1800 is busted
> and out-of warranty (I give it 18-24 months, at
> the outside) I have the option of just chucking
> it in favor of whatever's the latest and greatest
> at the moment. From Epson or anyone else.

If it's like my 1270...and you take proper care of it...it will be working
just fine for the next 6 years and beyond.

> So buying a 4800 is like getting married.
> Buying the 2400 or 1800 is a bit more like
> "living together".... a more tentative
> relationship, you might say.

I can see how you could view it that way. To me, though, I've already got
my money out of my 4000.
I've made a great number of very large prints, especially panoramas. These
would not only have been very expensive to have printed by others, but I
would have lost control over my image. Ink costs compared with using teh
relatively miniscule cartridges of smaller untra chrome printers has helped
off-set the initial investment.

My $1000 gets me the prints I simply can't produce with an 1800 or other
smaller machines...so for me, it just made sense. And as you say...each
must weigh their own needs/priorities.

-Mark

From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote

> Not quite - and that is the entire principle of stochastic dither
> algorithms. The number of shades that can be produced in a pixel can be
> surprisingly low, even on a high quality image. However, providing the
> error in the shade of each pixel averages out >>> over a group of pixels <<<
> a sufficiently low level then the percieved image will appear
> continuous.

Quite: All that has happened is the creation of an Uber-Pixel and
the true number of pix/inch goes down ...

So many dots == so much data: you can have it as # shades or as resolution
and one can only trade the one for the other.

Anybody want to buy a carburetor that lets a car run on water?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com

From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"rafe b" <rafebATspeakeasy.net> wrote
> "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
> >Arthur Entlich wrote:
> > > There is a certain irony that this business model is so well
> > > "designed" that by Epson offering perhaps $10-$20 actual cost worth
> > > of ink, they can make a person justify spending an additional $1000 or
> > > more on a printer.
> > It is worth every bit of that extra $1000
> Though the 4800 is "industrial strength," when
> it's broken and out of warranty, you'll need
> an industrial-strength wallet to get it fixed...
> On the other hand, when my R1800 is busted
> and out-of warranty (I give it 18-24 months, at
> the outside) I have the option of just chucking it

And when the R1800 hits the dust it's replacement will
be running rings around a "three year old clunker 4800".

Odds are though, that by the time the 1800 wears out
the 4800 will have been long gone. A low end computer
product is made in high volume with mature technology,
proper tooling and a hefty respect for warranty
repair costs.

IMHO, high end computer gear is not worth the money, it never
was and it never will be.

Not called 'Bleeding Edge Technology' for nothing.

From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote

> BTW--The waste-ink "pad" on the 4000/4800 is a relatively HUGE "drawer" that
> pulls out easily (in about .5 seconds), and is designed to be replaced by
> the user. It is amazing how massive the thing is compared with the tiny
> little band-aid sized "pad" (as you appropriately called it) found in
> Epson's lesser printer [the 1270].

Oooops, that may be because it spits a lot of waste ink and a 1270
doesn't. Even with a very expensive razor it is still a blade
business.

Sorry Mark, I don't want to disparage your printer, I am sure if
I played with it I would be filled with lust for the product. I have
a whole storage room filled to the brim with old high-tech products.
Anybody have a use for a dozen IBM Professional Graphics Systems?