From: rafe b on
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:35:40 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" <see(a)sig.com>
wrote:

>"Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote
>
>> With my
>> 1270, that little ink pad has no absorbing capacity left (and hasn't for
>> years) because it's soaking wet all the time. Interestingly, it remains
>> wet...NEVER drying--even after long periods on non-use. This means that
>> instead of "cleaning" the head, it simply wipes goo around and ONTO the
>> head. :) Perhaps this is partly what's helped my 1270 keep from clogging
>> over the years...because the head can't dry out/clog when it's parked in big
>> mess of wet goop! :)
>
>By George I think you've got it! I have this almost permanently clogged
>Epson on which I keep cleaning the head cleaning pad -- I've just been
>making it worse [though I can't see how it gets much worse]. I think
>I will splash on some anti-freeze [propylene glycol, TTTT] and
>see what happens...

Windex is the stuff you want.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"rafe b" <rafebATspeakeasy.net>
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:35:40 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" <see(a)sig.com>
> > I have this almost permanently clogged Epson ...
> Windex is the stuff you want.

Tried it, tried every cleaning agent I can find. Near
as I can tell it's semi-permanently clogged up with something
in the innards of the print head.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
From: Arthur Entlich on
I agree that being able to remove the saturated waste ink pad unit has
some value, in fact, I advocated for this design in the consumer models
as well, since they obviously often get used well beyond one "fill up".

I believe the pro models use a "chipped" waste ink unit, so you
basically have a similar situation as with the cartridges, you either
have to figure out a way to reset the chip, or buy a new unit from Epson.

As to the size of the waste ink pads, you may need them that large,
especially if you have to change black ink types in that model. As with
all the wider carriage models that use ink tube delivery, when you
change the black ink type, the system purges the ink out of the head,
damper and tube. That in itself would be horrible, if it only did that
for the black head, but, at least with the other wide carriage models,
and I assume as well the 4000 model, all the ink colors are purged at
once due to the one purge pump and ganged cleaning station. That's a
LOT of ink going down the drain, so they best have a good size waste ink
holder.

There is something horribly ironic about having to pay nearly the cost
of the printer (in the consumer models) or for a chipped and
non-reusable waste ink container on the larger pro models) for a part
that 1) is capturing all that wasted costly ink you bought, and 2) in
part a result of design issues in the head, capping and ink formulation
cause this need to begin with.

Art

From: Arthur Entlich on

Mark? wrote:

> That's the other aspect worth mentioning: Part of the reason for such a
> HUGE absorber is because when teh heads are cleaned/primed, that ink needs
> somewhere to be drawn TO so that it's no longer resting against the heads
> every time it parks there or is "cleaned." Without a huge section of
> absorbtion material, that ink quickly runs out of area to be drawn away TO.
> It's not as though it's just a dumping ground. It's sort of like using a
> large towel to clean up a large spill. That extra area of towel means the
> working surface of the towel maintains capacity to absorb...rather than just
> rub wetness around...because the mess has had somewhere to wick to. With my
> 1270, that little ink pad has no absorbing capacity left (and hasn't for
> years) because it's soaking wet all the time. Interestingly, it remains
> wet...NEVER drying--even after long periods on non-use. This means that
> instead of "cleaning" the head, it simply wipes goo around and ONTO the
> head. :) Perhaps this is partly what's helped my 1270 keep from clogging
> over the years...because the head can't dry out/clog when it's parked in big
> mess of wet goop! :)

Epson printers mainly use gravity and the purge pump to remove the ink,
not capillary action as you suggest. If you have totally filled up your
1270's waste ink pad by resetting the counter, then it may be swimming
in ink, but I know of many people who have removed the waste ink tube
from their printer and directed it to a bottle, so there is no "wicking"
occurring, and the system works just fine (and you get to see just how
much ink is wasted, too).

Your 1270 probably just needs a good cleaning of the cleaning station.
The purge pump may be all gummed up as well. Cleaning the cleaning
station and ink wiper can make a improvement in the cleaning cycles as well.

>>I have
>>a whole storage room filled to the brim with old high-tech products.
>

> Me too. -I just threw a bunch of it away as I cleadned the garage
> yesterday.

The problem is we pretty much all have a basement/closet/room filled
with lower high tech, and eventually it's all going to be tossed, but
where? Consumers, governments and manufacturers need to work together
of reducing and eliminating this spiral.

>>Anybody have a use for a dozen IBM Professional Graphics Systems?
>
> I still had my old 386 (older stuff was long gone)....because it still ran
> beautifully...with it's 4 MB or RAM (which was a lot at the time) and 80MB
> hard drive. Compared with my older computers...I bought that 386 feeling
> like it was an unbelievable piece of high tech mastery! Heck...it once was
> just that. :)
> I felt it might be somehow appropriate to play a soft rendition of Taps on a
> bugle as I lowered it into the recyclable bin. :( On the other hand...I
> now have that space in my garage where I can keep OTHER dinosaurs of the
> technology age...until they get their own funeral. :)
> -Mark

It saddens me to see so much "valuable" stuff get dumped. The items
were leading edge at one point, and people paid big money to be "on
top" with this stuff. The amount of money I have spent on storage media
and devices and memory, all completely obsolete now, is sickening... I
try not to think about it!

Art

From: Arthur Entlich on
The inks do use glycols as wetting agents and to slow down drying, to
try to lessen clogs. Which glycol they use, I am not sure, but I
suspect it's ethylene (which is poisonous, particularly to cats and dogs
even in relatively small amounts (well, they'd probably have to drink
the ink of a half a cartridge)... So, dispose of waste ink and empties
safely, away from pets or where animals can get at them. Glycols
small/taste sweet on their own, making them attractive to animals.

Art