From: Arthur Entlich on
Most anti-freeze is still ethylene glycol, although the low toxicity
propylene is now being distributed. Propylene glycol is used as an
emulsifier and smoothing agent in foods.

Art

From: Bill Hilton on
> Arthur Entlich writes ...
>
>As with all the wider carriage models that use ink tube delivery,
>when you change the black ink type, the system purges the ink
>out of the head, damper and tube. That in itself would be horrible,
>if it only did that for the black head, but, at least with the other
>wide carriage models, and I assume as well the 4000 model,
>all the ink colors are purged at once due to the one purge pump
>and ganged cleaning station.

Once again your ignorance of all things Epson shows ... you never have
to "change the black ink type" in the 4000 because it has both Photo
black and Matte black available at all times, switching between them as
required based on the chosen paper type. You are confusing that model
with others that only have a slot for one black cart at a time.

>That's a LOT of ink going down the drain

I've owned a 4000 for going on two years and never had to change the
waste tank ... you are confused.

Bill

From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote

> The inks do use glycols as wetting agents and to slow down drying, to
> try to lessen clogs. Which glycol they use, I am not sure, but I
> suspect it's ethylene

Propylene glycol is the standard for inks. Non toxic, sometimes
found in foods; it keeps chocolate chip cookies moist after months
of sitting on the grocery store shelf.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
From: measekite on

Bill Hilton wrote:

>>Arthur Entlich writes ...
>>
>>As with all the wider carriage models that use ink tube delivery,
>>when you change the black ink type, the system purges the ink
>>out of the head, damper and tube. That in itself would be horrible,
>>if it only did that for the black head, but, at least with the other
>>wide carriage models, and I assume as well the 4000 model,
>>all the ink colors are purged at once due to the one purge pump
>>and ganged cleaning station.
>>

>Once again your ignorance of all things Epson shows ... you never have
>to "change the black ink type" in the 4000 because it has both Photo
>black and Matte black available at all times, switching between them as
>required based on the chosen paper type. You are confusing that model
>with others that only have a slot for one black cart at a time.
>

>>That's a LOT of ink going down the drain
>>

>I've owned a 4000 for going on two years and never had to change the
>waste tank ... you are confused.
>
>Bill

HE THINKS HE IS A KNOW IT ALL AND HAS THE WANNABEES BAMBOOSELED
From: Mark? on
Arthur Entlich wrote:
> Mark? wrote:
>>
> Your 1270 probably just needs a good cleaning of the cleaning station.
> The purge pump may be all gummed up as well. Cleaning the cleaning
> station and ink wiper can make a improvement in the cleaning cycles
> as well.

Actually, there is no problem with my 1270. To the contrary, it has never
clogged in over 6 years, which is why I mentioned it in this thread.
Perhaps you missed that part...
:)

>>> I have
>>> a whole storage room filled to the brim with old high-tech products.
>>

>> Me too. -I just threw a bunch of it away as I cleadned the garage
>> yesterday.
>>

> The problem is we pretty much all have a basement/closet/room filled
> with lower high tech, and eventually it's all going to be tossed, but
> where? Consumers, governments and manufacturers need to work together
> of reducing and eliminating this spiral.

California's lame answer to this was to start slapping people with disposal
taxes when they purchase monitors and the like. Stupid part is...they give
no indication of any particular mechanism this money creates for the actual
disposal!
That's new for ya... It may...or (more likely) may not...go to anything
related to it supposed reason for being imposed.
:(

>>> Anybody have a use for a dozen IBM Professional Graphics Systems?
>>
>> I still had my old 386 (older stuff was long gone)....because it
>> still ran beautifully...with it's 4 MB or RAM (which was a lot at
>> the time) and 80MB hard drive. Compared with my older computers...I
>> bought that 386 feeling like it was an unbelievable piece of high
>> tech mastery! Heck...it once was just that. :)
>> I felt it might be somehow appropriate to play a soft rendition of
>> Taps on a bugle as I lowered it into the recyclable bin. :( On the
>> other hand...I now have that space in my garage where I can keep
>> OTHER dinosaurs of the technology age...until they get their own
>> funeral. :) -Mark

> It saddens me to see so much "valuable" stuff get dumped. The items
> were leading edge at one point, and people paid big money to be "on
> top" with this stuff. The amount of money I have spent on storage
> media and devices and memory, all completely obsolete now, is
> sickening... I try not to think about it!

:)
It kills me too, except that I then remind myself of all I couldn't have
done without it at the time.
It's sort of like gasoline. You can look back at all the gas you've burned
over the years...having nothing to show for it...but the alternative would
have been going nowhere all those years. :)
Wasted money? Nah. Really just money spent to get where we're going...both
on the road, and on the computer.
:)
(But OK...on the other hand...it still is a little depressing!)
-Mark