From: Mark? on
Arthur Entlich wrote:
> I agree that being able to remove the saturated waste ink pad unit has
> some value, in fact, I advocated for this design in the consumer
> models as well, since they obviously often get used well beyond one
> "fill up".
> I believe the pro models use a "chipped" waste ink unit, so you
> basically have a similar situation as with the cartridges, you either
> have to figure out a way to reset the chip, or buy a new unit from
> Epson.
> As to the size of the waste ink pads, you may need them that large,
> especially if you have to change black ink types in that model. As
> with all the wider carriage models that use ink tube delivery, when
> you change the black ink type, the system purges the ink out of the
> head, damper and tube. That in itself would be horrible, if it only
> did that for the black head, but, at least with the other wide
> carriage models, and I assume as well the 4000 model, all the ink
> colors are purged at once due to the one purge pump and ganged
> cleaning station. That's a LOT of ink going down the drain, so they
> best have a good size waste ink holder.

But I don't have to purge anything on the 4000. It holds all three blacks
at once.
It's the 4800 that has this issue, though for many, this has been solved
using a new remedy called "phatte black" along with a RIP system that
manages to apply inks on both types of media successfully.

> There is something horribly ironic about having to pay nearly the cost
> of the printer (in the consumer models) or for a chipped and
> non-reusable waste ink container on the larger pro models) for a part
> that 1) is capturing all that wasted costly ink you bought, and 2) in
> part a result of design issues in the head, capping and ink
> formulation cause this need to begin with.

I don't know about cost on consumer models for the dump tank, but on the
4000, the cost of a replacement tank is barely over 2% the cost of the
printer.

-Mark

From: Mark? on
measekite wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>>> Arthur Entlich writes ...
>>>
>>> As with all the wider carriage models that use ink tube delivery,
>>> when you change the black ink type, the system purges the ink
>>> out of the head, damper and tube. That in itself would be horrible,
>>> if it only did that for the black head, but, at least with the other
>>> wide carriage models, and I assume as well the 4000 model,
>>> all the ink colors are purged at once due to the one purge pump
>>> and ganged cleaning station.
>>>

>> Once again your ignorance of all things Epson shows ... you never
>> have to "change the black ink type" in the 4000 because it has both
>> Photo black and Matte black available at all times, switching
>> between them as required based on the chosen paper type. You are
>> confusing that model with others that only have a slot for one black
>> cart at a time.
>>> That's a LOT of ink going down the drain
>>>

>> I've owned a 4000 for going on two years and never had to change the
>> waste tank ... you are confused.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> HE THINKS HE IS A KNOW IT ALL AND HAS THE WANNABEES BAMBOOSELED

Why are you shouting?

From: Frank on
Mark? wrote:
> measekite wrote:

>>>Once again your ignorance of all things Epson shows ... you never
>>>have to "change the black ink type" in the 4000 because it has both
>>>Photo black and Matte black available at all times, switching
>>>between them as required based on the chosen paper type. You are
>>>confusing that model with others that only have a slot for one black
>>>cart at a time.

>>>I've owned a 4000 for going on two years and never had to change the
>>>waste tank ... you are confused.
>>>
>>>Bill
>>>

>>HE THINKS HE IS A KNOW IT ALL AND HAS THE WANNABEES BAMBOOSELED
>

> Why are you shouting?

Cause he's deaf and dumb!
Frank
From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote

> You don't need to trade one for the other

And then:

> Resolution where its needed and fine tone where its needed

You mean like trading one for the other?

Whether the viewer cares or can notice, I don't care.
The trade has to be made.

We are coming at this from different angles:

Physicist: The elevator jerks, it has to or else
it can't accelerate from a standing start.
[Jerk = dA/dt, A = dV/dt, V = dX/dt]

Salesman: Our elevators don't jerk, the ride is
very smooth and you feel no jerk.

Let it rest.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
From: Arthur Entlich on
Thanks for the correction Bill. I bow to your knowledge.

You may "when I get the facts wrong I'm willing to eat my words and I
got this wrong, so I apologize ...", but you will also note that no one
found it necessary to try to crucify you, or make disparaging comments
about your error. It was no big deal. We all mix up the model numbers
sometimes. Considering how many models their are, it's not a big surprise.

But you, in all your "wisdom" couldn't hold your typing fingers without
making a completely uncalled for, and statistically inaccurate statement
about me, could you?

My statement about the 4000 was incorrect, however, it is correct about
the 4800 which was what I had meant to type, and as I recall, the X600
series wide carriage, as well, which have 7 heads and cartridges. Epson
uses 8 cartridges in the 4000. They also use 8 in the 4800, 7800, 9800.
The 4000 uses CcMmYKKk, the two uppercase K's are for the photo black
and the matte black, as you state. In the 4800, one of the full blacks
is replaced with a second level of diluted black, to make a three
density black set. To accomplish that, it requires that only one full
black can be installed at any one time. So, the scenario I "painted" is
not true of the 4000, but is of numerous other Epson wide carriage
models. It is also why your waste ink container has a lower demand
placed on it.

Being "correct" is nice, but being a grown up is a WHOLE other thing,
and perhaps one day, you will actually get there.

Art