From: Arthur Entlich on
Yes, Bill, "another person" doesn't like me... but he's back in two
groups I regularly frequent, isn't he? In fact, he seems to have a
posting right under yours here on comp.periphs.printers... You know
what, there are at least a half dozen people on this very group who I
know don't like my politics; think that bothers me? They too have
detractors (besides me) in numerous other groups.

After one person on another list I am on didn't like something I wrote
and suggested I leave, I ran a survey asking people to let me know via
private mail if they found my presence helpful on the group. My mailbox
was overrun with over one hundred emails begging me to stay, and many
had some pretty nasty things to say about the guy who instigated the
situation. I got just two people who responded with anything but praise.
One was noncommittal, and he was new to the group, and the other was
the original person in question. So you see Bill, I really am beyond
worrying about a few detractors, since every group has them.

I'm flattered that you stand on guard to lambaste me when I make a
factual error. Obviously, you think my opinions have great sway, And
the fact that I can so bother a couple of you to the point of having you
leave a group because of me, well, that's seems to make me either pretty
powerful, or someone pretty thin skinned.

I know you and "another person" both have costly Nikon film scanners
which I spent time warning people about, along with several other Nikon
models, due to fairly considerable design defects and that bothers you,
but the information I provided was factual and accurate, verified by
other owners, and even finally acknowledged by Nikon (as much as they
ever admit to design defects, which isn't much). My ego is not connected
to my purchases of tech equipment, and I am quite willing to point out
the design issues or customer service issues relating to products I own,
as well. It's a service to the community when people can find out
before they make the purchase what they may be in for.

By the way, my Polaroid Sprintscan 4000+ is doing just fine, thank you,
and the company that made it is still in business, and support is even
offered by the company that sold it.

Sadly, the core Polaroid Corp did go "belly up" as you call it, because
they were a company based on the customer service model, and today that
isn't what investors are after. They want quick bucks. Polaroid made
two mistakes. They didn't respond fast enough to the move to digital,
and they continued to believe in the concept of customer service over
corporate profits. When you work in a world where everyone is a shark,
it's hard to survive as a lone porpoise.

And again, just to be clear, I own and use many thousands of dollars of
Nikon camera bodies and lenses, and most have been amazingly reliable
and of good quality, so I would hardly say I had it out for Nikon. I'm
even considering buying a Nikon D-SLR (since I own all those lenses).
Similarly, if I truly had it "out" for Epson, I would not spend time
defending the product line, owning their products and spending hours
every day helping people who use their printers, without any financial
compensation. However, that doesn't mean I will shut up about their
design issues. I have been in the guts of enough Epson printers to know
where the good engineering stops and the "stick it to the consumer" begins.

As to what I accomplish, you wouldn't have a clue, so again I take no
offense to your ignorance. It ain't all about the money Bill.

Art

From: Arthur Entlich on
If your 1270 continues to give you good service, I'm not suggesting
anything. However, if the heads are as gooped up as you suggest, it
will probably eventually begin to leave streaks and marks on some
heavier weight papers. My experience is that early maintenance can save
time later on.

As to what is holding things together on this particular model, it may
be very tight tolerances on your particular unit, or you live in a high
humidity area. Maybe the waste ink pads are giving off so much vapor,
it keeps the heads from drying out.

I have this one NiCd rechargeable AA battery. It came from a set of
about a dozen , the others of which are long ago recycled because they
either started to leak, or would no longer hold a charge. But this one
seems invincible, and I have no idea why. It was used similarly, and it
was one of a group of the same brand, all of which became useless.

Who knows why? (that's rhetorical ;-))

Art

From: Arthur Entlich on
I have no "personal thing" with Bill, he has a "personal thing" with me,
which is pretty obvious. He came out swinging, not me. I personally
could care less what Bill thinks. His post quoted below shows what a
"good guy" he is.

He just doesn't like his "kit" being criticized, even when there is
documented proof of problems. He probably never bought a car he didn't
like, either.

People who are overly attached to brand loyalty, to the point where it
influences their ability to see defects, do no favors to others who may
be considering buying the products.

I haven't had anything to do with Bill in YEARS, in fact, I really have
never had anything to do with Bill, period. I was critical of a product
he happens to own, and he took it personally. One thing for sure, he
holds a good grudge, however, even when he's wrong.

Art

From: measekite on

Prime wrote:

>measekite <inkystinky(a)oem.com> posted the exciting message news:vUUwf.26250
>$UF3.5976(a)newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
>

>>IN TEXAS THEY HAVE DELL
>>

>In Uranus we have meankite.

I THOUGHT DA BEEFER WAS FROM YOURANUS
From: me@privacy.net on
In message <43bdf773$0$6297$822641b3(a)news.adtechcomputers.com>, David
Nebenzahl <nobody(a)but.us.chickens> writes
>Kennedy McEwen spake thus:
>
>> In article <w9bvf.7874$V.6727(a)fed1read04>, Mark?
>><mjmorgan(a)cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>>
>>> I contend that there isn't ANY media capable of showing a benefit of
>>>dpi that high.
>> There are plenty of such media, they just aren't papers. :-)
>
>Like what--stainless steel? Precision-buffed to a high gloss?

Printed circuit boards?

--
Timothy