From: Paul Rubin on
Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> writes:
> cartridges. Epson uses 8 cartridges in the 4000. They also use 8 in
> the 4800, 7800, 9800. The 4000 uses CcMmYKKk, the two uppercase K's
> are for the photo black and the matte black, as you state....

So when all is said and done, how do these epson prints compare with
Fuji Frontier prints? I can get those done at my local walgreens for
something like 3 bucks for an 8x10. I'm wondering if there's really
any reason (other than perhaps risque shots or something like that)
for a low-volume home user to buy a photo printer.
From: Arthur Entlich on

Mark? wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>>Mark? wrote:
>>
>>Your 1270 probably just needs a good cleaning of the cleaning station.
>>The purge pump may be all gummed up as well. Cleaning the cleaning
>>station and ink wiper can make a improvement in the cleaning cycles
>>as well.
>

> Actually, there is no problem with my 1270. To the contrary, it has never
> clogged in over 6 years, which is why I mentioned it in this thread.
> Perhaps you missed that part...
> :)

No, I saw that part, but I am not convinced that is what is keeping the
head from clogging.

> Interestingly, it remains
> wet...NEVER drying--even after long periods on non-use. This means that
> instead of "cleaning" the head, it simply wipes goo around and ONTO the
> head. :) Perhaps this is partly what's helped my 1270 keep from clogging
> over the years...because the head can't dry out/clog when it's parked in big
> mess of wet goop!

The cleaning station shouldn't be that gooped up. I'm surprised you
don't get some black streaks on the paper surface if it has any
variation in it. Your printer's waste ink pads may well be so saturated
that the ink has nowhere to flow to (not so much that it needs capillary
action or wicking, but that it needs a bit more distance to flow out of
the waste ink tube, and that distance has been reduced as the pads
become saturated.

>>>Me too. -I just threw a bunch of it away as I cleadned the garage
>>>yesterday.
>>>

>>The problem is we pretty much all have a basement/closet/room filled
>>with lower high tech, and eventually it's all going to be tossed, but
>>where? Consumers, governments and manufacturers need to work together
>>of reducing and eliminating this spiral.
>

> California's lame answer to this was to start slapping people with disposal
> taxes when they purchase monitors and the like. Stupid part is...they give
> no indication of any particular mechanism this money creates for the actual
> disposal!
> That's new for ya... It may...or (more likely) may not...go to anything
> related to it supposed reason for being imposed.
> :(

Alberta Canada has a similar law, but I believe the money is being
earmarked for take back, take apart and recycle programs. Up front
money isn't a bad idea, part of the cost of the product existing, is the
reduction of the product back into parts that aren't harmful to nature.

There certainly should be money earmarked to make sure the monies
collected are reinvented in recycling programs that work.

>>It saddens me to see so much "valuable" stuff get dumped. The items
>>were leading edge at one point, and people paid big money to be "on
>>top" with this stuff. The amount of money I have spent on storage
>>media and devices and memory, all completely obsolete now, is
>>sickening... I try not to think about it!
>

> :)
> It kills me too, except that I then remind myself of all I couldn't have
> done without it at the time.
> It's sort of like gasoline. You can look back at all the gas you've burned
> over the years...having nothing to show for it...but the alternative would
> have been going nowhere all those years. :)
> Wasted money? Nah. Really just money spent to get where we're going...both
> on the road, and on the computer.
> :)
> (But OK...on the other hand...it still is a little depressing!)
> -Mark

Sometimes when I think not just about the money, but the time I spent
learning to use the cumbersome software So and hardware, I'm not sure
I'm that far ahead. Newer users have products that have less steep
learning curves, so in some ways they may catch up with those who lived
through the dark years.

Art

From: measekite on
IN TEXAS THEY HAVE DELL

From: rafe b on
On 10 Jan 2006 08:24:57 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx(a)NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> writes:
>> cartridges. Epson uses 8 cartridges in the 4000. They also use 8 in
>> the 4800, 7800, 9800. The 4000 uses CcMmYKKk, the two uppercase K's
>> are for the photo black and the matte black, as you state....
>
>So when all is said and done, how do these epson prints compare with
>Fuji Frontier prints? I can get those done at my local walgreens for
>something like 3 bucks for an 8x10. I'm wondering if there's really
>any reason (other than perhaps risque shots or something like that)
>for a low-volume home user to buy a photo printer.

Just for the satisfaction of doing it yourself, maybe.

I honestly don't think, in a fair test, you could tell
which print came off the Frontier and which came
off an Epson R800.

In the end, it may well be cheaper to have the
print done in a lab, if you consider the cost of
ink, paper, and amortization of the printer.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Bill Hilton on
>Arthur Entlich whines ...
>
>Thanks for the correction Bill. I bow to your knowledge. ...
>But you, in all your "wisdom" couldn't hold your typing fingers
>without making a completely uncalled for, and statistically
>inaccurate statement about me, could you?

No I couldn't, because for about five years I've thought you were one
of the most annoying clueless jackasses on the newsgroups Arthur. You
seem to have it in for companies that are market leaders and drone on
endlessly about all the things they are doing wrong while you've never
actually accomplished anything yourself, whether it's Epson printers or
Nikon scanners (how's that Polaroid Sprintscan doing for you, now that
they went belly up?). I just ignore your endless opiniated replies but
when you get your facts wrong I'll feel free to jump in, whether you
like it or not.

And it's not just me who feels that way, another person in this thread
once told me he found you so replusive that he would sometimes abandon
a group when you entered. Why is that?

Bill