From: rafe b on
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:46:32 -0800, "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Kennedy McEwen wrote:
>> In article <vtFvf.8033$V.4113(a)fed1read04>, Mark?
>> <mjmorgan(a)cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> No, I quite understand that each dot is not intended as an
>>> individually perceived unit, but rather a basis through which ink is
>>> combined to form perceived color. Still...can anyone point to the
>>> realization of a visually-perceived benefit of 9600dpi over, say,
>>> 4800?
>> Reduces tonal noise at the visual acuity limit, which is all that a
>> finer dither matrix is intended to achieve.
>
>Yes.
>We know that.
>But is the difference between 4800 (for example) and 9600 able to be
>visually perceived without a loupe?

That would depend on a lot of factors, such as
the relationship of the final ink-dot size (after
diffusion into the paper surface) and the dot pitch
and the number of colors used.

I think the main benefit at that point would be
improved tonality (bit-depth, in effect) rather
than detail.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote

> The real question about companies that claim 9600 dpi inkjet resolution
> or what have you is can this be accomplished with the minimum dot size
> they offer?

Well, 9600 dots/inch can be done with 1 inch dots [splats], allowing for
some overlap. Sounds dumb but it would be legitimate if the printer
was adding density with each splat.

Dot size / dot density / pixel density are all independent; excepting
the pathological case of dot size >> pixel size.

The relationship between dot density and pixel density sets the number
of shades that can be produced by the printer. And this has _nothing_
to do with gamma correction.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
From: Mark? on
Kennedy McEwen wrote:
> In article <pHHvf.8103$V.4412(a)fed1read04>, Mark?
> <mjmorgan(a)cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>> Kennedy McEwen wrote:
>>> In article <vtFvf.8033$V.4113(a)fed1read04>, Mark?
>>> <mjmorgan(a)cox.?.net.invalid> writes

>>> Reduces tonal noise at the visual acuity limit, which is all that a
>>> finer dither matrix is intended to achieve.
>>
>> Yes.
>> We know that.
>> But is the difference between 4800 (for example) and 9600 able to be
>> visually perceived without a loupe?
>>
> Well since 4800 still results in visible noise below the eye
> resolution limit, albeit made more obvious with a loupe, that is
> clearly due to dither then even without seeing the results the answer
> must be a clear "yes".

I'd love to see a real world comparison...

From: Nicholas O. Lindan on
"Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote

> > > 4800!
> > 1200!
> I'd love to see a real world comparison...

Go to the Epson dealer and see for one's self? Everybody
will have a different opinion: "I can't see it.", "Plain
as day.", "Costs too much", "A bargain." ....

From: Mark? on
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote

>>> 1200!
>> I'd love to see a real world comparison...
>
> Go to the Epson dealer and see for one's self? Everybody
> will have a different opinion: "I can't see it.", "Plain
> as day.", "Costs too much", "A bargain." ....

Good idea...except Epson doesn't do 9600dpi.
:)