From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-03 11:06:24 -0700, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
>>
>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
>>
>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
> the race immediately????

They wouldn't have stopped the race. The only car in immediate jeopardy
was the one following. The field was spread out over the entire
circuit, and this would have always been a local caution issue for
whichever part of the track they were on. They could have black flagged
the offending car to have him return to the pits, but by the time the
officials would have been able to do that the jack had come loose.
Then it just became a clean up for the marshals where the wreckage
ended up, and that would have been under a local caution yellow flag,
and no need to stop the race.

The other interesting thing was, they used some of the footage from the
wrecked camera, which makes me think it might have been DSLR video of
some type.

The race was last weekend at Valencia and they replayed it on SpeedTV
last night.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: David J Taylor on
"Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
[]
> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
> the race immediately????

I take it that you did not see the incident involving Mark Webber in the
subsequent Formula 1 race? They did bring out a safety car for that
one....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8784683.stm

(I don't know if the video is available outside the UK.)

Cheers,
David

From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
: "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
: > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
: > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
: > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: >
: > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: >
: > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: >
: > --
: > Regards,
: >
: > Savageduck
: >
:
: Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
: easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop the
: race immediately????

Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But that's easier
said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles long, and
until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow caution flag,
there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e. red-flagging, the
race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since a stopped
car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the track ahead
is impassable.)

In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's dashboard. But
that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation of equipment
at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody may tell me
that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)

The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did they screw up
by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they saw the jack
being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and notified
the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that they were so
inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the car left. A
month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.

Bob
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-03 17:05:51 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
> : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> : news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
> : > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
> : > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
> : > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
> : >
> : > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
> : >
> : > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
> : >
> : > --
> : > Regards,
> : >
> : > Savageduck
> : >
> :
> : Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
> : easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop the
> : race immediately????
>
> Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But that's easier
> said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles long, and
> until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow caution flag,
> there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e. red-flagging, the
> race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since a stopped
> car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the track ahead
> is impassable.)
>
> In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
> send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's dashboard. But
> that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
> the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation of equipment
> at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody may tell me
> that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)
>
> The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did they screw up
> by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they saw the jack
> being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and notified
> the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that they were so
> inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the car left. A
> month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
> right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.
>
> Bob

The FIA fined the team for the incident (amount was not specified) the
driver Alberto Valerio was absolved of fault for this incident as he
had no way of knowing what had actually happened. However he and his
two team mates have been penalized 10 grid positions each for the next
race at Silverstone, for their role in causing a collision during the
Sprint race.

GP2 does have the F1 EM LED Marshal flag and Race Control Management system.
< http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/issue6/institute/article4.html# >
This has been in the cars since 2007 and places an LED array in the
cockpit giving the driver all the major marshal flag signals. So the
driver could have been signaled to return to the pits with a red flag,
it was not clear that he had been given that signal. As far as a local
yellow caution was concerned, that only became relevant once the debris
was on the track.
Once the jack broke away, he was free to continue racing.
These cars also have an Accident data recorder required by the FIA.

GP2 is seen as a major stepping stone to F1 and most of the new
additions to the F1 ranks were GP2 stars. < http://gp2series.com/ >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Pete D on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
>>>
>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
>>>
>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>

>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
>> the race immediately????

> --
> Peter

LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?