From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:59:49 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
:
: >
: >
: >"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
: >news:4c2f8033$0$5502$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com...
: >> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
: >> news:-uWdnXgl7_iG4bLRnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au...
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: >>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
: >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
: >>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
: >>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: >>>>
: >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: >>>>
: >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: >>>>
: >>>> --
: >>>> Regards,
: >>>>
: >>>> Savageduck
: >>>>
: >>>
: >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
: >>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
: >>> the race immediately????
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
: >>
: >> --
: >> Peter
: >
: >LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
: >
: Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
: spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
:
: I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
: zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
: the crashes.

I think you're being silly. I haven't watched nearly as many races as you
have; but when I do, it certainly *isn't* to see crashes. Indeed, ctashes
disrupt the action and contribute more boredom than excitement.

: I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
: are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
: crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

They can tell you who won the previous two. What created so much excitement
that year was that Vukovich was going for his third win in a row. That's why
everyone remembers that particular crash.

Automobile racing is far safer than it used to be, yet its popularity is
higher than ever. That more and more people are watching in the hope of seeing
rarer and rarer crashes is an explanation that makes little sense, IMO.

Bob
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:43:51 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
: Pete D wrote:
: > "Peter" wrote
: >> "Pete D" wrote
: >>> "Savageduck" wrote
: >>>
: >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear
: >>>> jack got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It
: >>>> came loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: >>>>
: >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: >>>>
: >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: >>>
: >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack
: >>> could easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they
: >>> not stop the race immediately????
: >>
: >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
: >
: > LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
:
: Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.

Er... Let's not lose sight of the fact that no one (not even the photographer)
was killed or injured in this incident. It didn't take any other cars out of
the race. And the camera was wrecked only because it was poking through a
(very beefy) fence.

Bob
From: Charles E Hardwidge on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
> the crashes.
>
> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
technicians I quit watching.

Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and blandified
news media and bubblegum movies.

I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything they
disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.

--
Charles E Hardwidge
From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 08:32:50 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
: "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: news:2010070320304550073-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
: []
: > Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
: > Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
: > someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
: > yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.
:
: "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

"... through your IR-sensitive glasses."

Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:26:00 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:59:49 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>: On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
>:
>: >
>: >
>: >"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>: >news:4c2f8033$0$5502$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com...
>: >> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
>: >> news:-uWdnXgl7_iG4bLRnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au...
>: >>>
>: >>>
>: >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>: >>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
>: >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
>: >>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
>: >>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
>: >>>>
>: >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
>: >>>>
>: >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
>: >>>>
>: >>>> --
>: >>>> Regards,
>: >>>>
>: >>>> Savageduck
>: >>>>
>: >>>
>: >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
>: >>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
>: >>> the race immediately????
>: >>
>: >>
>: >>
>: >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>: >>
>: >> --
>: >> Peter
>: >
>: >LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
>: >
>: Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
>: spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
>:
>: I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>: zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>: the crashes.
>
>I think you're being silly. I haven't watched nearly as many races as you
>have; but when I do, it certainly *isn't* to see crashes. Indeed, ctashes
>disrupt the action and contribute more boredom than excitement.

Yeah, I know. *No one* goes to a race to see a crash. Crashes aren't
interesting. That's why every one stands up and gapes. That's why
those that can bring out their cameras when there's a crash. That's
why the next day's newspaper feature the crash photo and not the zip,
zip, zip, scene as the cars pass by. That's why the television news
plays and replays and replays the crash. That's why the live coverage
dwells on the crashes.

No one wants to admit watching races to see the crashes, but I don't
believe them for a minute.

I've only been to one NASCAR race. When my son was at University of
Alabama we took him to Talladega as a birthday present. What did I
watch?

You have any idea how many really good looking tattooed women there
are in Alabama? And where they have those tattooes? I really don't
like the idea of defacing one's body with a tattoo, but I thought it
necessary to take a really good look to make sure there hadn't been
advances in the art that would make me change my mind.

I didn't pay much attention to the menfolk, but I saw enough to know
that a flood would wreak terrible damage in Alabama. Those belt
buckles would be like anchors.

I want to be clear that I don't think that NASCAR fans are not firing
on all cylinders, but the average fan doesn't seem to be able to
remember driver's names. They can only remember one or two digit
numbers. I think #3 is popular because it's easy to remember and it
fits nicely on a cap.

I've never been to a Formula 1 race. They can't be all that
interesting if they've been doing it all these years without being
able to come out with at least Version 2. They should put Bill Gates
in charge. He'd come up with new versions and make the cars that ran
in the old versions non-compatible. Good for the car making economy.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida