From: tony cooper on
On 4 Jul 2010 02:13:25 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
>> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
>> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
>>
>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>> the crashes.
>
> No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
> serious crashes are few and far between.

All the more reason to keep attending. The rare catch is worth
waiting for.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-03 18:54:14 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:

> [...]
> : > Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But
> that's easier
> : > said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles
> long, and
> : > until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow
> caution flag,
> : > there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e.
> red-flagging, the
> : > race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since
> a stopped
> : > car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the
> track ahead
> : > is impassable.)
> : >
> : > In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
> : > send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's
> dashboard. But
> : > that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
> : > the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation
> of equipment
> : > at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody
> may tell me
> : > that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)
> : >
> : > The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did
> they screw up
> : > by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they
> saw the jack
> : > being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and
> notified
> : > the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that
> they were so
> : > inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the
> car left. A
> : > month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
> : > right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.
> : >
> : > Bob
> :
> : The FIA fined the team for the incident (amount was not specified) the
> : driver Alberto Valerio was absolved of fault for this incident as he
> : had no way of knowing what had actually happened. However he and his
> : two team mates have been penalized 10 grid positions each for the next
> : race at Silverstone, for their role in causing a collision during the
> : Sprint race.
> :
> : GP2 does have the F1 EM LED Marshal flag and Race Control Management system.
> : < http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/issue6/institute/article4.html# >
> : This has been in the cars since 2007 and places an LED array in the
> : cockpit giving the driver all the major marshal flag signals. So the
> : driver could have been signaled to return to the pits with a red flag,
>
> Black, I believe. Red stops the whole race.

Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: David J Taylor on
[]
> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
> Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

"Watch for the flashing black LED".....

David

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-04 00:32:50 -0700, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
>> Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
>> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
>> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.
>
> "Watch for the flashing black LED".....
>
> David

This is where the explosive bolts should just blow off all 4 wheels.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Walter Banks on

"Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

> On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
> > I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
> > zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
> > the crashes.
>
> No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
> serious crashes are few and far between.

In the last decade NASCAR has got serious to make racing safer so
much so that a 175 mph crash the driver is expected to walk away
unhurt. The unintended consequence has been that drivers have
become a lot more aggressive on the track.

w.