From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:32:40 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
: On 2010-07-03 17:05:51 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:
:
: > On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
: > : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: > : news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
: > : > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
: > : > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
: > : > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: > : >
: > : > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: > : >
: > : > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > Regards,
: > : >
: > : > Savageduck
: > : >
: > :
: > : Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
: > : easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop the
: > : race immediately????
: >
: > Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But that's easier
: > said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles long, and
: > until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow caution flag,
: > there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e. red-flagging, the
: > race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since a stopped
: > car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the track ahead
: > is impassable.)
: >
: > In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
: > send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's dashboard. But
: > that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
: > the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation of equipment
: > at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody may tell me
: > that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)
: >
: > The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did they screw up
: > by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they saw the jack
: > being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and notified
: > the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that they were so
: > inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the car left. A
: > month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
: > right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.
: >
: > Bob
:
: The FIA fined the team for the incident (amount was not specified) the
: driver Alberto Valerio was absolved of fault for this incident as he
: had no way of knowing what had actually happened. However he and his
: two team mates have been penalized 10 grid positions each for the next
: race at Silverstone, for their role in causing a collision during the
: Sprint race.
:
: GP2 does have the F1 EM LED Marshal flag and Race Control Management system.
: < http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/issue6/institute/article4.html# >
: This has been in the cars since 2007 and places an LED array in the
: cockpit giving the driver all the major marshal flag signals. So the
: driver could have been signaled to return to the pits with a red flag,

Black, I believe. Red stops the whole race.

: it was not clear that he had been given that signal. As far as a local
: yellow caution was concerned, that only became relevant once the debris
: was on the track.
: Once the jack broke away, he was free to continue racing.
: These cars also have an Accident data recorder required by the FIA.
:
: GP2 is seen as a major stepping stone to F1 and most of the new
: additions to the F1 ranks were GP2 stars. < http://gp2series.com/ >

Interesting. I knew nothing about those in-car systems.

Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:

>"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
>>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
>>> the race immediately????
>>

>> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
>LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?

Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.

I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
the crashes.

I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
>
> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
> the crashes.

No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
serious crashes are few and far between.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: John McWilliams on
tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote:
>

>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "Pete D" <no(a)email.com> wrote in message

>>> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>> LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
>>
> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
>
> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
> the crashes.
>
> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

Forgot about him till you mentioned it; it was horrifying at the time.
(Wasn't there, iae.)

At the same time, I can remember "The Catch" by SF 49'er Dwight Clark
via Joe Montana, and about where in the end zone Clark was, but I can't
remember the final score nor even what year the game was.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Paul Furman on
Pete D wrote:
> "Peter" wrote
>> "Pete D" wrote
>>> "Savageduck" wrote

>>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack
>>> could easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they
>>> not stop the race immediately????

> LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?

Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.