From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 4 Jul 2010 02:13:25 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
> <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
>>> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
>>> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
>>>
>>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>>> the crashes.
>>
>> No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
>> serious crashes are few and far between.
>
> All the more reason to keep attending. The rare catch is worth
> waiting for.

I thought the main reason to watch the races was an excuse to drink beer.

Without knowing the actual count, I suspect there are more beer drinkers at
a NASCAR event than photographers.

--
Peter

The more beer I drink the better my shots look to me.

From: John McWilliams on
Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:43:51 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

> :
> : Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.
>
> Er... Let's not lose sight of the fact that no one (not even the photographer)
> was killed or injured in this incident. It didn't take any other cars out of
> the race. And the camera was wrecked only because it was poking through a
> (very beefy) fence.

Arguably- and there will be arguments- the photog was in the wrong by
poking his equipment through the fence; could be a distraction to the
drivers.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
David J Taylor wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant,
>> so Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
>> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
>> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.
>
> "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

There could easily be a LED covered with a black bubble that'd flash.
The flashes wouldn't be quite pure black, but it'd be clear the black
one was activated.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Bill Graham on

"Charles E Hardwidge" <boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>> the crashes.
>>
>> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
>> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
>> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.
>
> Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
> watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
> technicians I quit watching.
>
> Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
> must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and
> blandified
> news media and bubblegum movies.
>
> I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
> dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything
> they
> disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.
>
> --
> Charles E Hardwidge

For the life of me, I can't understand why people like watching a bunch of
specialty cars race around an oval track at nearly 200 MPH. What is there
about this that even faintly resembles driving anything on a, "road"? When I
was young, I used to go out to South Hampton, Long Island, and watch real
road racing.....I had a friend who drove a Fiat-Abarth in those races, and
sometimes won. He would race his car in the single modification class, and
by adding a cardboard "fin" to the rear, he would also compete in the two
modification class. Then, during the week, he would drive the same car to
work every day, because it was his only means of transportation, and it was
street legal.....Those were the days of real racing, and I could identify
with it very well. Today, you might as well watch a bunch of jet planes race
for all the comparison to real driving it has.

From: Peter on
"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Charles E Hardwidge" <boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>>> the crashes.
>>>
>>> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
>>> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
>>> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.
>>
>> Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
>> watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
>> technicians I quit watching.
>>
>> Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
>> must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and
>> blandified
>> news media and bubblegum movies.
>>
>> I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
>> dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything
>> they
>> disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.
>>
>> --
>> Charles E Hardwidge
>
> For the life of me, I can't understand why people like watching a bunch of
> specialty cars race around an oval track at nearly 200 MPH. What is there
> about this that even faintly resembles driving anything on a, "road"? When
> I was young, I used to go out to South Hampton, Long Island, and watch
> real road racing.....I had a friend who drove a Fiat-Abarth in those
> races, and sometimes won. He would race his car in the single modification
> class, and by adding a cardboard "fin" to the rear, he would also compete
> in the two modification class. Then, during the week, he would drive the
> same car to work every day, because it was his only means of
> transportation, and it was street legal.....Those were the days of real
> racing, and I could identify with it very well. Today, you might as well
> watch a bunch of jet planes race for all the comparison to real driving it
> has.

They do allow smoking at NASCAR events. Here's your big chance Billy Boy.

--
Peter