From: dpb on
Helmut Meukel wrote:

> My ISP has no newsserver, had to search for one, I'm now using Aioe.org

There's also news.eternal-september.org

I've somewhat fewer "issues" there than at aioe altho both function.
It's been a while since I did follow aioe consistently so perhaps some
of those have been alleviated somewhat since...give it a go and if it
suits, great; there's at least one alternative to try if wish.

From: Henning on

"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> skrev i meddelandet
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Karl E. Peterson explained on 5/4/2010 :
>>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>>
>>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>>
>>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>>> this by Fall 2010.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
>>
>> Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)
>>

> My ISP has no newsserver, had to search for one, I'm now using Aioe.org
>
> When looking for the right group I found first the empty alt.comp.lang.vb
> and alt.comp.lang.visualbasic .
> Can anybody explain to an Usenet newbie why there are these groups and
> what this alt in the group name says?
> Could be irritating for other newbies searching for the right VB Classic
> group
> to find those empty groups.
>
> Helmut.

It's very easy to just post some direction links to this group.

/Henning

From: Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message news:hrvhjv$6dt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
:
: Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)

Here!
From: GEFS on
on 5/6/2010, Karl E. Peterson supposed :
> Karl E. Peterson explained on 5/4/2010 :
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
>
> Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)

Hi Karl,
I made it here too.
What's with all the .Nxt stuff?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
GEFS presented the following explanation :
> on 5/6/2010, Karl E. Peterson supposed :
>> Karl E. Peterson explained on 5/4/2010 :
>>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>>
>>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>>
>>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>>> this by Fall 2010.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
>>
>> Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)
>
> Hi Karl,
> I made it here too.
> What's with all the .Nxt stuff?

Looks like the same basic confusion we saw on msnews. Microsoft gave
the same name to two completely different products.