From: Karl E. Peterson on
Access Developer pretended :
> Yep, haven't been around for a while, but thought I would drop in. I see some
> names here in this thread that I hadn't seen even for a long time before I
> took a long "breather".

Well, if the m.p.* hierarchy vanishes, I expect this group to really
pick up some lost steam!

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
>
> Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)

Having a bout of 'cannot find server' at msnews, I went ahead
and signed on to www.eternal-september.org.

It went flawlessly here, I just signed on some 10 minutes ago
and am now posting like the big guys....

:-)
LFS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten expressed precisely :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
>
>> Nice to see some familiar faces who've been here all along!
>>
>> Any other recent migrants from msnews? :-)
>
> Having a bout of 'cannot find server' at msnews, I went ahead
> and signed on to www.eternal-september.org.
>
> It went flawlessly here, I just signed on some 10 minutes ago
> and am now posting like the big guys....
>
> :-)

Right on. It does seem that E-S has a, how to be charitable, "manual"
system of updating its passwords. I've seen that take anywhere from
6-10 hours, so you must've hit 'em when they're awake. <g> Anyway, for
we who can live with long-term passwords, that shouldn't be an issue.

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> Right on. It does seem that E-S has a, how to be charitable, "manual"
> system of updating its passwords. I've seen that take anywhere from
> 6-10 hours, so you must've hit 'em when they're awake. <g> Anyway, for
> we who can live with long-term passwords, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd presume they simply schedule the 'bot to run on a fixed schedule of
3-4X/day which, for a free service of something no more critical than
usenet, seems perfectly adequate to me... :)

BTW, anybody of those really involved ever contact the comp.* gurus
about the offer to fasttrack some groups? Or, is it simply going to be
a wait and see thing after all?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
dpb formulated on Wednesday :
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>
>> Right on. It does seem that E-S has a, how to be charitable, "manual"
>> system of updating its passwords. I've seen that take anywhere from 6-10
>> hours, so you must've hit 'em when they're awake. <g> Anyway, for we who
>> can live with long-term passwords, that shouldn't be an issue.
>
> I'd presume they simply schedule the 'bot to run on a fixed schedule of
> 3-4X/day which, for a free service of something no more critical than usenet,
> seems perfectly adequate to me... :)

Yep, but it helps to know what to expect since so many systems of that
sort are linked up full-time.

> BTW, anybody of those really involved ever contact the comp.* gurus about the
> offer to fasttrack some groups? Or, is it simply going to be a wait and see
> thing after all?

Personally, I've yet to hear the need justified. (There, I said it.
<g>) Do we really think this group is going to overflow?

If there is someone wanting to put together a proposal, I can sure help
in seeing that it gets to the right folks. But I know very little
about the actual process and procedures.