From: LD5SZRA on
Microsoft in its wisdom wants to close down everything that
produces no revenue to make its stockholders rich. From June this
year, even this newsgroup may not exist if there is any truth in
this report:

<http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2010/05/04/microsoft-transitioning-from-newsgroups-to-forums.aspx>

Or this report:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx>

On the positive side, the competitors will have the opportunity to
produce products that people like you would like to buy. IE8 won't
be available to XP users so Mozilla and other browsers will have
this wonderful opportunity to recover lost ground especially if
they implement latest CSS and HTML 5.

Microsoft has closed down many products as this list suggests:

1) Newsgroups shutting down;
2) IE8 not available to XP users (Mozilla and other browsers will
continue on XP systems)
3) Outlook Express not being developed
4) Hotmail can't be read in Outlook unless you also install a
Connector (new version just released on 20/04/2010)
5) If you criticize Microsoft products on forums, expect your
messages to be deleted;
6) MVP status being scaled down (hooray - who is going to miss
this? Not me for sure but Pig-Bear will)
7) Future products will only available online not on CD or DVDs
8) Microsoft Works version 10 not available on XP or Vista
9) Microsoft Office Accounting disbanded - the last version was
2009;
10) Frontpage brand disappeared.

The list goes on and on!

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
From: LD5SZRA on
this should read:
2) IE9 (not IE8) not available to XP users (Mozilla and other

From: Patricia Geary on
But with these alternative editors (and including Dreamweaver) I fail
to see how even the simplest functionalities such as keeping track of
links works. With FP you could change the name or folder of a file and
the changes would ripple through the whole site. I do not see that
functionality with these other apps. It appears that the automoation
that made FP easy to use has been replaced by hand editing and
rebuilding on a massive scale.

==============

As long as you have actually created a website and have maintain site using
metadata files turned on which it is by default on a website, FP, EW, and
SPD do the exact same thing. Rename a file from within the program and the
links are adjusted, Move a file to another folder and the links ae
adjusted.. This happens as long as you use relative file links. If you are
using the full url to link to a site and then change a file name, then no
the links are not adjusted. But this was also true in FP.

Not sure where you are getting your info but it is WRONG.

pst

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 09:08:54 -0400, Craig Schiller
<cschiller1(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>It's swell that those who are more adept at coding have no trouble with
>Expression Web, but for the more casual user, it is a major step
>backward from FrontPage. The poster has valid points.

Another point that the OP missed, which also adversely impacts
conversion from FrontPage to Expression Web, is that even design-time
FrontPage Components that do NOT require the server extensions (for
example, the third-party MenuPlus Navigation Bar generator and Table of
Contents Generator) are not supported, and useful alternatives are not
provided.

On top of that, Expression Web does not appear, even at version 3, to
support the Navigation View (nor, therefore, any components/macros/etc.)
that could rely on it for generating navigation) that FrontPage did,
which made generating site navigation so easy.

I have found Expression Web so deficient that I made a significant
effort and managed to "hack" an installation of FrontPage 2003 onto my
Windows 7/64 computer (not much of a hack; just needed to figure out how
to NOT use the supplied SETUP.EXE - info available on request), just so
that I could continue to maintain a website - done in FrontPage - that
currently has over 1000 pages and has been operating for fifteen years.
Over that time, through the use of templates and knowledge of HTML and
CSS, I have "beaten FrontPage into submission" and get generally clean
code, generally conformant to relevant standards.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin+jtas(a)spamcop.net
From: Patricia Geary on
And now many are faced with converting FP sites to SD sites to EW
sites? Or is it possible to go straight from FP to EW?
============
FP, SPD, and EW are TOOLS to design and edit sites. Depending on which
features you have chosen to use, your site could be edited with any editor
or even notepad if you so choose. I use all versions of ew, spd, and fp to
help others. Which tool I use depends on what the individual I am helping is
using.

So you are not converting a site to a fp site or an ew site or an spd site,
you should be converting, migrating or whatever you site to a standards
compliant site so that as the Internet progresses and browsers progress,
those who might want to view your site can do so with their choice of
browser no matter what it is.

SPD is more like EW 1. Learn to use the features in it and then move on to
EW if you so choose. Or continue to use FP as you currently do.

Only you can make the decision. There are many who will remain with FP and
if it suits there needs, OK. There are also many of us out there who will
continue to help those who need it and want it. Most of us are NOT employed
by MS. We do it because we enjoy it.

pat
--
Pat Geary MVP Expression Web