From: CJB on

MikeR wrote:
> SB wrote:
> > On May 4, 1:21 pm, SB <s_byers...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Microsoft in its wisdom abandoned Frontpage in 2007 along with all of
> >> its users. The replacement Expression (Web) is fraught with bugs, and
> >> has yet to become stable. It has not yet been fully developed. It also
> >> presents a STEEP learning curve (actually many) for those who want to
> >> convert exisitng Frontpage webs to Expression. Many elect not to do
> >> so.
> >>
> >> MS has shot itslef in the foot by abandoning three important groups of
> >> users - who are all paying customers for the product.
> >>
> >> These are: 1/ small business owners who have easily built their own
> >> web site in Frontpage, 2/ web designers for those small business
> >> owners, and 3/ those who have created large hobby websites.
> >>
> >> For them to convert to Expression will not be easy - using FP
> >> Extensions are out, as are many other FP features. Web designers in
> >> Expression will need to learn a plethora of new technologies CCS,
> >> HTML, XTML, etc., etc.
> >>
> >> Additionally all Expression pages will need to end in .html rather
> >> than the FP standard of .htm This will mean that ALL linls to previous
> >> FP pages will fail not only from other websites but also w.r.t.
> >> indexing for searches by Google etc. Effectively current FP web sites
> >> will disappear from view until re-indexed.
> >>
> >> All this as well as coping with the idiosyncracies of Expression
> >> itself which is itself not a fully developed product.
> >>
> >> This web page explains more:
> >>
> >> http://www.prorganize.com/help/pages/frontpage-conversion-help.html
> >>
> >> Enjoy!!
> >
> > Forget Expression (Web) etc. until the bugs have been ironed out of
> > it: See:
> >
> > http://www.prorganize.com/reviews/pages/Microsoft-Express-Web-Blend.html
> >
> > SB
>
> I've not used EW, but I have replaced FP with the free SharePoint Designer. Pretty
> seamless transition in my case.
> Mike

Thanks - that's encouraging. I have just downloaded SPD - soent all
afternoon in Pret on The Cloud (for free!!). Have to try importing my
FP site into it. But I'm wondering how to retain the FP theme? It uses
style sheets, and a bunch of graphics (for the background and bullet
points). And I'm wondering how the page and graphics links will remain
connected. But I don't have shared boarders thankfully. CJB.
From: Ronx on
Make a backup or two of the website - just in
case of accidents.
Open the site in SPD

SPD will not support VML graphics (text boxes,
wordart, shapeart etc) in any way, but there
should be no problems with anything else
FrontPage handles.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

CJB used his keyboard to write :

From: Tina Clarke on

> Thanks - that's encouraging. I have just downloaded SPD - soent all
> afternoon in Pret on The Cloud (for free!!). Have to try importing my
> FP site into it. But I'm wondering how to retain the FP theme? It uses
> style sheets, and a bunch of graphics (for the background and bullet
> points). And I'm wondering how the page and graphics links will remain
> connected. But I don't have shared boarders thankfully. CJB.

Don't import

open fp
backup your site
http://accessfp.net/backupfp.htm

then open expression web or sharepoint designer 2007 and browse to the
location of your web .... select it and open it ..

it really is that simple... that way you have all you should have no half
measure like with inporting which can and will miss things.

make sure you set up sharepoint designer 2007 or expression web .. with sp07
choose the ew 1 ebook
Setting up Expression Web Ebook ( Free )
http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/setting-up-expression-web-ebook.htm

if you want some free well coded validating templates to play with (spd 07
does not have any - and the ew one's leave something to be desired) then pop
along to http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/site-templates/ where there
are 17 different layouts which will can be made available from within the
prog itself.. they are dwts with basic pages and there are tutorials to help
even if you dont use them its good to practice with.

This tutorial will help you with further aspects.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/Web_Development/Software/Expression_Web/Migrating-from-FrontPage-to-Expression-Web.html

If you want to keep your theme then you will have to save the style sheet
and the graphics and put it together as a template to be turned into a
dwt....

Free Expression Web Dynamic Web Templates Ebook
http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/expression-web-dwt-ebook.htm

actually sounds like a good idea for a tutorial ... but not sure I want to
encourage people to use a look everyone has ... perhaps it could be based on
custom designed theme!.. have to think about that one:)

anyways .. thats your best way forward.. .shout if you need any help

Tina
Expression Web Tips Ebooks
Launch price $7 - 26 EW Tips each. Bundle $13 vol l & ll
http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/

From: CJB on
On May 6, 2:31 am, "Tina Clarke" <TinaCla...(a)any-expression.com>
wrote:
> > Thanks - that's encouraging. I have just downloaded SPD - soent all
> > afternoon in Pret on The Cloud (for free!!). Have to try importing my
> > FP site into it. But I'm wondering how to retain the FP theme? It uses
> > style sheets, and a bunch of graphics (for the background and bullet
> > points). And I'm wondering how the page and graphics links will remain
> > connected. But I don't have shared boarders thankfully. CJB.
>
> Don't import
>
> open fp
> backup your sitehttp://accessfp.net/backupfp.htm
>
> then open expression web or sharepoint designer 2007 and browse to the
> location of  your web .... select it and open it ..
>
> it really is that simple... that way you have all you should have no half
> measure like with inporting which can and will miss things.
>
> make sure you set up sharepoint designer 2007 or expression web .. with sp07
> choose the ew 1 ebook
> Setting up Expression Web Ebook ( Free )http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/setting-up-expression...
>
> if you want some free well coded validating templates to play with (spd 07
> does not have any - and the ew one's leave something to be desired) then pop
> along tohttp://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/site-templates/where there
> are 17 different layouts which will can be made available from within the
> prog itself.. they are dwts with basic pages and there are tutorials to help
> even if you dont use them its good to practice with.
>
> This tutorial will help you with further aspects.http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/Web_Development/Software/Exp...
>
> If you want to keep your theme then you will have to save the style sheet
> and the graphics and put it together as a template to be turned into a
> dwt....
>
> Free Expression Web Dynamic Web Templates Ebookhttp://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/expression-web-dwt-eb...
>
> actually sounds like a good idea for a tutorial ... but not sure I want to
> encourage people to use a look everyone has ... perhaps it could be based on
> custom designed theme!.. have to think about that one:)
>
> anyways .. thats your best way forward.. .shout if you need any help
>
> Tina
> Expression Web Tips Ebooks
> Launch price $7 - 26 EW Tips each. Bundle $13 vol l & llhttp://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/

Thank you for your advice. Silly question - what's a dwt file?

Chris B.
From: Hot-text on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrontPage_Dynamic_Web_Template