From: CJB on
So there are at least four ways to convert from FP into SSD or EW or
Dreamweaver ... ?

1. copy FP web from HD to HD and *import* into SSD or EW or
Dreamweaver

2. copy FP web from HD to HD and *open* into SSD or EW or Dreamweaver

3. publish FP web from HD to HD and *import* into SSD or EW or
Dreamweaver

4. publish FP web from HD to HD and *open* into SSD or EW or
Dreamweaver

5. ...ditto all ... but import FP web from server ... etc.

I have over 100 pages - all with one of two FP themes - but do not use
FP extensions - but there's loads of Javascript. I need an easy way
convert all of these.

Please what is the best way? Thanks - Chris B.

From: Stefan B Rusynko on
For SPD and EW Only your # 4 will work at getting the entire site
(Just Open the FP Site in SPD or EW - Do not Import it!)
- all of your options that say import will NOT get the entire site

From: Ronx on
Easiest way:
Make a backup of the website - there should always be an up to date backup.
Open the website in SD or EW.

Do NOT import - except when using the EW Import Wizard and you have the login credentials for the site. Importing without the credentials will leave bits of the website behind - often the important bits.

Do NOT copy. A FrontPage website contains _vti* folders, and the contents of these files are unique for each website, even if one website is an "exact" copy of another.

For Dreamweaver - never used Dreamweaver, probably never will, but Dreamweaver does not use the _vti* folders.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

CJB presented the following explanation :

From: Ronx on
If the credentials (UserId and Password) for the source website are used, the Expression Web Site Import Wizard actually publishes the source website to the destination - so it does get everything.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

Stefan B Rusynko expressed precisely :

From: ANONYMOUS on

You could try Expression Engine Core and it is free to download and use
it. The link is here:

<https://secure.expressionengine.com/download.php?ACT=agreement&id=34>

Although it is not as easy as FrontPage 2003, it by far a better product
to start using HTML/XML/XHTML and CSS and to learn properly the
intricacies of this new technology!

The main website is here:
<http://expressionengine.com/>

The communities forum is here: