From: CJB on
Thank you .... !!

From: Tina Clarke on

Thank you for your advice. Silly question - what's a dwt file?

Chris B.

sorry Chris....

its a dynamic web template .... its sort of a theme on steriods;)

let us know how you get on.. and shout up if you get stuck at any point ...

I've just installed wp over and over and over again .... to get it right in
moving my blog on the new host ..... each time i find something i did wrong
lol ... would be fun if i had'nt had to move computers too and to deal with
a bunch of offline things..... the second stage will be harder ... i swore i
wont make a theme till i can actually do it and know how to validate it so
will be immersed in morten's ew and wp tutorials at some point after other
projects are finished..... - the point being - enjoy the journey ;)

From: CJB on
On May 9, 12:09 am, "Tina Clarke" <TinaCla...(a)any-expression.com>
wrote:
> Thank you for your advice. Silly question - what's a dwt file?
>
> Chris B.
>
> sorry Chris....
>
> its a dynamic web template .... its sort of a theme on steriods;)
>
> let us know how you get on.. and shout up if you get stuck at any point ....
>
> I've just installed wp over and over and over again .... to get it right in
> moving my blog on the new host ..... each time i find something i did wrong
> lol ... would be fun if i had'nt had to move computers too and to deal with
> a bunch of offline things..... the second stage will be harder ... i swore i
> wont make a theme till i can actually do it and know how to  validate it so
> will be immersed in morten's ew and wp tutorials at some point after other
> projects are finished..... - the point being - enjoy the journey ;)
>
> Tina
> Expression Web Tips Ebooks
> Launch price $7 - 26 EW Tips each. Bundle $13 vol l & llhttp://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/

Ok - thanks everyone for your help and interest.

I have now copied my FP web and then opened it into SPD. I see how
this works - up to a point. However I need to preserve the FP Theme(s)
and the style sheet files don't seem to work - in particular w.r.t
horizontal lines and bullet points and fonts. Luckily I don't use
shared borders!! How can I convert a FP Theme into SPD. This might
seem lazy but I have hundreds of pages to convert. And with FP you can
apply a Theme to the whole web site in one go - easy.

Thanks - Chris B.
From: Tina Clarke on
Ok - thanks everyone for your help and interest.

I have now copied my FP web and then opened it into SPD. I see how
this works - up to a point. However I need to preserve the FP Theme(s)
and the style sheet files don't seem to work - in particular w.r.t
horizontal lines and bullet points and fonts. Luckily I don't use
shared borders!! How can I convert a FP Theme into SPD. This might
seem lazy but I have hundreds of pages to convert. And with FP you can
apply a Theme to the whole web site in one go - easy.

Thanks - Chris B.

Is this a custom theme?
whats your site link?

You just make a page with the elements of what you want..... if its a
generic theme ... .why not design something unique to you?

just look for the background graphic and any other images you want .. they
will be there in the folder list in the themes

When you say 'copy' your fp web .... hope you mean you published your site
to a new web on your hd? ...do it any other way and you are bound to lose
something....

a fp theme is so badly coded .... you really dont want to use any coding
from it ....

if you want to play about with a dwt ... these free Site Templates will let
you do that with spd ... which dont have the generic dwts that expression
web has as far as i can remember...

http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/site-templates/

with a dwt you can apply the template to the whole site in one go - and have
a lot more control over it than a theme ... with a dwts editable and non
editable regions...

see my free dwt ebook to help you get started
http://any-expression.com/expression-web/free-dwt/

and follow the setting up ebook also free for expression 1 .. that way you
will be set up and it will cause you less problems.

Tina
F ree Expression Web Toolbar - Expression Web and Web Design Resources
http://frontpage-to-expression.com/expression-web-community-toolbar.html
Just posted new links to the toolbar - Make YOUR suggestions
Will work in FireFox IE and Safari

From: CJB on
Thank you. I have two themes - one FP and one custom. I don't mind
losing the FP one (tropo), but the tall ship / sailing one I'd like
to keep.

The other issue with the FP pages are that they are full of <div></
div> and <p text="xxxx"> kind of tags - most of which are redundant.
The only way of getting rid of these is to use use Edit # Find /
Replace - but there are so many varieties of redundant tags. FP is/was
too good at producing bloated HTML!!!

Examples of the themes are at:

http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/

http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/tallship/wantosail.htm (keep sound down)