From: SB on
Microsoft in its wisdom abandoned Frontpage in 2007 along with all of
its users. The replacement Expression (Web) is fraught with bugs, and
has yet to become stable. It has not yet been fully developed. It also
presents a STEEP learning curve (actually many) for those who want to
convert exisitng Frontpage webs to Expression. Many elect not to do
so.

MS has shot itslef in the foot by abandoning three important groups of
users - who are all paying customers for the product.

These are: 1/ small business owners who have easily built their own
web site in Frontpage, 2/ web designers for those small business
owners, and 3/ those who have created large hobby websites.

For them to convert to Expression will not be easy - using FP
Extensions are out, as are many other FP features. Web designers in
Expression will need to learn a plethora of new technologies CCS,
HTML, XTML, etc., etc.

Additionally all Expression pages will need to end in .html rather
than the FP standard of .htm This will mean that ALL linls to previous
FP pages will fail not only from other websites but also w.r.t.
indexing for searches by Google etc. Effectively current FP web sites
will disappear from view until re-indexed.

All this as well as coping with the idiosyncracies of Expression
itself which is itself not a fully developed product.

This web page explains more:

http://www.prorganize.com/help/pages/frontpage-conversion-help.html

Enjoy!!
From: SB on
On May 4, 1:21 pm, SB <s_byers...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Microsoft in its wisdom abandoned Frontpage in 2007 along with all of
> its users. The replacement Expression (Web) is fraught with bugs, and
> has yet to become stable. It has not yet been fully developed. It also
> presents a STEEP learning curve (actually many) for those who want to
> convert exisitng Frontpage webs to Expression. Many elect not to do
> so.
>
> MS has shot itslef in the foot by abandoning three important groups of
> users - who are all paying customers for the product.
>
> These are: 1/ small business owners who have easily built their own
> web site in Frontpage, 2/ web designers for those small business
> owners, and 3/ those who have created large hobby websites.
>
> For them to convert to Expression will not be easy - using FP
> Extensions are out, as are many other FP features. Web designers in
> Expression will need to learn a plethora of new technologies CCS,
> HTML, XTML, etc., etc.
>
> Additionally all Expression pages will need to end in .html rather
> than the FP standard of .htm This will mean that ALL linls to previous
> FP pages will fail not only from other websites but also w.r.t.
> indexing for searches by Google etc. Effectively current FP web sites
> will disappear from view until re-indexed.
>
> All this as well as coping with the idiosyncracies of Expression
> itself which is itself not a fully developed product.
>
> This web page explains more:
>
> http://www.prorganize.com/help/pages/frontpage-conversion-help.html
>
> Enjoy!!

Forget Expression (Web) etc. until the bugs have been ironed out of
it: See:

http://www.prorganize.com/reviews/pages/Microsoft-Express-Web-Blend.html

SB
From: Tom Willett on
If you want to rant, rant to Microsoft. This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup.
You simply haven't figured out how to use software properly, so you blame MS
for your own shortfalls.

:

From: Craig Schiller on
It's swell that those who are more adept at coding have no trouble with
Expression Web, but for the more casual user, it is a major step
backward from FrontPage. The poster has valid points.

From: Helpful person on
On May 4, 9:08 pm, Craig Schiller <cschill...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> It's swell that those who are more adept at coding have no trouble with
> Expression Web, but for the more casual user, it is a major step
> backward from FrontPage. The poster has valid points.
>

> Tom Willett wrote:
> >If you want to rant, rant to Microsoft. This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup..
> >You simply haven't figured out how to use software properly, so you blame MS
> >for your own shortfalls.
>
> >"SB" <s_byers...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >: Microsoft in its wisdom abandoned Frontpage in 2007 along with all of
> >: its users. The replacement Expression (Web) is fraught with bugs, and
> >: has yet to become stable. It has not yet been fully developed. It also
> >: presents a STEEP learning curve (actually many) for those who want to
> >: convert exisitng Frontpage webs to Expression. Many elect not to do
> >: so.
> >:
> >: MS has shot itslef in the foot by abandoning three important groups of
> >: users - who are all paying customers for the product.
> >:
> >: These are: 1/ small business owners who have easily built their own
> >: web site in Frontpage, 2/ web designers for those small business
> >: owners, and 3/ those who have created large hobby websites.
> >:
> >: For them to convert to Expression will not be easy - using FP
> >: Extensions are out, as are many other FP features. Web designers in
> >: Expression will need to learn a plethora of new technologies CCS,
> >: HTML, XTML, etc., etc.
> >:
> >: Additionally all Expression pages will need to end in .html rather
> >: than the FP standard of .htm This will mean that ALL linls to previous
> >: FP pages will fail not only from other websites but also w.r.t.
> >: indexing for searches by Google etc. Effectively current FP web sites
> >: will disappear from view until re-indexed.
> >:
> >: All this as well as coping with the idiosyncracies of Expression
> >: itself which is itself not a fully developed product.
> >:
> >:
> >:
> >: This web page explains more:
> >:
> >:http://www.prorganize.com/help/pages/frontpage-conversion-help.html
> >:
> >: Enjoy!!- Hide quoted text -

And Frontpage is bug free? I've never seen a program with so many
problems, bugs and "features" that only work for IE.

www.richardfisher.com